Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I know there's descent and mansions of madness etc but something that doesn't require someone being a gm. It's difficult to find such games maybe cause Thier not out there? But would love to combine betrayal at house on the hill for the making of your board as you play and then the absurd amount of loot you can get when playing munchkin and then solid rpg elements from descent etc but without the gm aspect. Thoughts please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Proctor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest Revised Edition tick some of your boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zander Galluppi
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DnD adventure board games check all dem boxes

Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game

Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Run

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JCV
United States
Rolling Meadows
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

Shadows of Brimstone: Swamps of Death

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
What do u guys think about wiz war... I like that alot thou I haven't played but I like what I've seen and some videos I have watched mention a board that is made while you play them game. What other games are like that. Sorry for all the random questions just recently got back into board gaming and man there's a ton out there now but I want a game that it's mechanics allow it to be different everything you play it. I really like what I have seen about that brutal dungeon Crawler hero quest but that might be to brutal so something like that would be cool too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had you pegged with dungeon quest too until you said "good quality mechanics"!!!

... And certainly not co-op.

Descent? Mildly co-op. Or...

Arcadia Quest!! That's what you want!

CaptM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I've been reading/watching Arcadia quest is it a fun family game loot finding etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
I've been reading/watching Arcadia quest is it a fun family game loot finding etc?

There's not a crapton of loot, but there is a fair bit of it, and it is very family fun. I've played Imperial Assault (the sequel ish game to Descent) and found the loot more fun and more present in Arcadia Quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Would be awesome to have mystery mansion smashed with a fantasy theme and fighting monsters lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
What do u guys think about wiz war... I like that alot thou I haven't played but I like what I've seen and some videos I have watched mention a board that is made while you play them game.

Wiz-War is an excellent game but it's a head-to-head, tactical game of deathmatch/capture-the-flag. The basic board is set up at the start of the game but it is modified as the game goes on as a result of the various spells that are cast.

But other than the lack of co-op and "exploration", it meets all your other criteria and is a fantastically fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 got the D&D Adventure Board Games, sound like what you're looking for.

And +1 for Dungeonquest, which isn't really what you're looking for but is totally great so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what has me afraid to spend the €60 on DungeonQuest but I probably will because iKNOW we will get at least 10 plays out of it and I'd be happy with that,,,

1) I HATE the small FFG cards!! My fingers are too fat and my eyesight sucks, plus, I just hate the size!

2) there are LOTS of bits and piles of different (small!!!) cards to put out for a game that you could potentially die in THE FIRST ROUND!

But... I do think if I can personally get past my own hatred of the cards and actually teach them to set up their own friggin games my boys would actually get a HOOT!!! Out of playing this one over and over and over!

M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is close, but expect games to take at least 3 hours. There is no dice in the combat, but the card play is still pretty neat. As you defeat monsters, you get to level up and get new abilities, which is pretty neat. The board also unfolds as you play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought wiz-war was quite a bit of fun the one time I played it. I thought I was going to lose for sure, and out of nowhere I didn't!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest
Available soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
How come Noone has mentioned shadows of brimstone is it a lousy game? I stand corrected when I said how come no mentions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Ah_Pook wrote:
+1 got the D&D Adventure Board Games, sound like what you're looking for.

And +1 for Dungeonquest, which isn't really what you're looking for but is totally great so...

I love the dynamic created board as you play and man there's a ton of dungeon crawling games out there. It's so hard to find one. I wish there was one that I can buy the base set and then there's the ability to easily create scenarios for your family. The wife and me and our kids love playing fantasy game. It would be awesome to find one that is random anytime u play it. It's got beautifully boards/tiles and a leveling experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Descent made a gm-less coop expansion, didn't they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quantum Jack
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic realm has a modular board, but its built at the start and stays that way the whole game. Roads can change during play by enchanting (flipping over) tiles.

It has dice in its combat, but not in the usual way. Dice are used to determine enemy tactics and attack style.

It can be played cooperatively, and there is no better way to play while learning it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:
How come Noone has mentioned shadows of brimstone is it a lousy game? I stand corrected when I said how come no mentions

I really enjoy SoB, but I will say it's not a "streamlined" or "elegant" game. There are a lot of things to keep track of during turns. The best thing about it is how much stuff the player community is making for it, and how expandable it is, whether officially or otherwise. I always look forward to playing it and seeing how my character's story is going to develop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yukirukun wrote:

Been interested in these games for a while. Love DnD....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Tulsatom wrote:
I know there's descent and mansions of madness etc but something that doesn't require someone being a gm. It's difficult to find such games maybe cause Thier not out there? But would love to combine betrayal at house on the hill for the making of your board as you play and then the absurd amount of loot you can get when playing munchkin and then solid rpg elements from descent etc but without the gm aspect. Thoughts please?

I've been looking for a similar game for long time.

I've a huge fan of "rogue-like" (video) games.

These games are randomly generated and have more to do with high scores than anything.

I would love to find a fantasy themed game (without a dungeon master) that is all about taking down monsters, looting chests, and seeing how long you can last before you die and in the end... tallying up your score/point/gold total.

If there isn't a game like this, there should be.

I would be all over it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Tulsatom wrote:

Actually, I think Shadows of Brimstone ticks off your points better than most. True co-op, loot, looks great, fun theme, solid game play, family friendly. Expensive, but you get your money's worth.

The only point it doesn't fully hit might be "fantasy". It is definitely fantastical, but Wild West meets Cthulhuesque horror isn't quite the same as the swords & sorcery image that many people think of when they think of "fantasy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.