Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Hedrick
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a question about the following scenario in a four player game:

The first player is engaged with two enemies, and after questing and defending, all of his characters are exhausted. Because all of his characters are exhausted, he does not declare any attacks during the combat phase. The declare attacks portion of the combat phase proceeds to player four, who controls Brand. Brand defeats one of the enemies engaged with player one, readying one of player one's heroes (Glorfindel). Glorfindel has enough attack power to destroy the remaining enemy engaged with player one. After Brand's effect resolves, Glorfindel is the only ready "attacker" on the board (some allies with healing/utility abilities are still ready, but ignore them for the purposes of my question). My question is this: can Glorfindel declare an attack on the remaining enemy, or has the window for player one to declare attacks in the combat phase already come and gone?

At first, it seemed intuitive that Glorfindel should now be able to attack. However, a literal reading of the timing chart seems to indicate that player one can no longer declare attacks (we played it this way, and Glorfindel did not attack). He had his chance to declare attacks, was unable to, and play proceeded to the next player. His window for attacking is now closed. However it also seems like Brand is much less useful if this is the rule. I suppose the rule could be that the "declare attack" sub-phase could loop back around to the first player, if there are still ready characters.

I may be over complicating something very simple. Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure Glorfindel's attack window is closed and that's that.

Brand is best when his controller is the first player, or when some nasty condition attachments from the encounter deck prevent readying (caught in a web, for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have it right. Glorfindel would not be able to attack because player one's declare attacks step has already past. If Glorfindel was ready, Brand would be much more useful because he could join with Glorfindel and let him attack a second time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gordy
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, Glorfindel has passed his declare step and is out of the battle this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.