Recommend
8 
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » General

Subject: Now Up on Amazon- For $39.99 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Page states: "In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process."

Edit: I was all set to order a copy, but given the MSRP of $30, I think I can hold off for a few more weeks.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered.

"Estimated delivery: July 8, 2015"

We shall see!

-edit-

That's with Prime. Just curious/notable that there is an estimate to me.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Ordered.

"Estimated delivery: July 8, 2015"

We shall see!

-edit-

That's with Prime. Just curious/notable that there is an estimate to me.


When can we expect your review?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Avatar

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Gathering-Arena-Planeswalkers-Ga...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
Ordered.

"Estimated delivery: July 8, 2015"

We shall see!

-edit-

That's with Prime. Just curious/notable that there is an estimate to me.


When can we expect your review?


July 9th?

Hard to say. I'm assuming I can get this played pretty quickly. It has minis and looks like HeroScape, so I can just lie to my youngest son and say, "Look! The new HeroScape came!" That's like an instant five plays right there. devil
20 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
A couple observations:

The plastic tiles visible in the photos seem to be identical in shape to Heroscape tiles. Though I suppose its possible they might not be the same scale. But I doubt that.

The primary tiles that make up the majority of the playing board definitely appear to be made of cardboard, about 2mm thick I guess. (But I'm not an expert on cardstock thickness. I'm sure someone else will provide a more accurate measurement soon enough.)

The picture of the box cover shows German text on the box. What's up with that?

Edit: Not that I have anything against Germans, or their text. Just caught me off guard is all, what with this being a Hasbro/WotC production.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'll be waiting patiently to hear what you have to say. Do you plan on providing comparison images of Heroscape terrain next to the terrain from MTGAotP?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
I'll be waiting patiently to hear what you have to say. Do you plan on providing comparison images of Heroscape terrain next to the terrain from MTGAotP?


I can do that. Hadn't thought of it. But, I will. Currently chatting with Amazon chat to get the price reduced by $10. It should be 29.99.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Avatar
TIM0THY wrote:
A couple observations:

The plastic tiles visible in the photos seem to be identical in shape to Heroscape tiles. Though I suppose its possible they might not be the same scale. But I doubt that.


I may be wrong, but from memory, the connectors do not look compatible to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
Currently chatting with Amazon chat to get the price reduced by $10. It should be 29.99.


Ooohh.... Keep us posted on that. I would love to have picked this up at a local store. But I've been calling around and no one seems to have it, or even know anything about it. And if Amazon drops the price to the MSRP, then I can't think of any good reasons to postpone ordering.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I was denied. Someone on reddit said they got their's changed. *shrug*

I will try again later.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah several people in the other BGG thread seemed to get the price changed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
TIM0THY wrote:
A couple observations:

The plastic tiles visible in the photos seem to be identical in shape to Heroscape tiles. Though I suppose its possible they might not be the same scale. But I doubt that.


I may be wrong, but from memory, the connectors do not look compatible to me.


Here's a comparison:



The shapes of the tiles seem identical to me. Is there something I'm missing?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
Yeah several people in the other BGG thread seemed to get the price changed.


Where is this other thread?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
lfisher wrote:
Yeah several people in the other BGG thread seemed to get the price changed.


Where is this other thread?


I guess here
Re: Update from the Twitter

Although it sounds like results are mixed or they may be stopping giving the price change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Thornton
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the official press release for proof of price. http://goo.gl/3BzTL1
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gillen
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This article may help to explain why it was listed at $39.99 instead of $29.99: http://icv2.com/print/article/31795

From the article:
"#2 — Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers. This also should release in August (Oh Joy!), and appears to be a revamping of Hasbro's HeroScape system. (You remember HeroScape, right? Still a decent demand for the game.) But unlike The Undercity, Arena of the Planeswalkers will release at a much friendlier price point of $29.99. You can do that when you have the economies of scale of the world’s largest board game manufacturer behind you. So far, so good.

Then we get to gross margin. I've talked before about how retailers have to sell stuff for more than we pay for it, as that is how we stay in business. The cost to stores of Arena of the Planeswalkers is $22-$24 depending on from whom you buy it. That works out a margin of about 25-27%. Remember, in order for your Local Game Store to stay in business, it needs margins of about 40-50%. This is even worse than the gross margin stores are getting on Bring Out Yer Dead from Upper Deck. Granted, your LGS is not the target for Arena of the Planeswalkers; Walmart, Target, Toys 'R Us and other mass merchants are, as they can more readily deal with a 25% margin than the LGS can. I have heard some stores planning to bring in many fewer copies of Arena than they had planned and mark it at $39.99, just to have it on the shelf. Kinda like with Star Trek: Catan and some of the Looney Labs Fluxx variants, it would hurt the image of the LGS for there to be a Magic board game and us not to have it on the shelf."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to talk to probably 8 or more people but someone finally acknowledged the press release and said he would take $10 off once it ships and had a copy of the chat saying this emailed to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So Heroscape was no longer produced for whatever reason by Hasbro, but they come out with this which looks very similar, even the character cards have a hint of Heroscape.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Must people take over every thread with discussion about whether or not this game is compatible with Heroscape? There have got to be 3 threads on the subject already.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried to get an adjustment. He said he'd make an exception and refund me the $10 once it ships out.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
Must people take over every thread with discussion about whether or not this game is compatible with Heroscape? There have got to be 3 threads on the subject already.


There are a lot of people whose only interest in this game is the fact that it appears to be a reincarnation of Heroscape.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like it's July 8th for everyone to receive it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
alandric wrote:
looks like it's July 8th for everyone to receive it.


Or that's when we get notification that our price changes won't be honored and the game will in fact ship on August 1st.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
nerman8r wrote:
Must people take over every thread with discussion about whether or not this game is compatible with Heroscape? There have got to be 3 threads on the subject already.


There are a lot of people whose only interest in this game is the fact that it appears to be a reincarnation of Heroscape.


I'm one of them.

-Ski
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.