Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dominion: Hinterlands» Forums » Rules

Subject: Margrave Vs Reaction Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Petty
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
This is a two-part question:

1)When another player plays a Margrave and you use a Moat, Lighthouse, or Champion to protect yourself from the Attack, do you still draw a card, or is drawing a card part of the Attack?

And,

2)When another player plays a Margrave, can you reveal a Reaction Card that their Margrave caused you to draw?

I'm guessing that the answer to question #2 is yes, and for #1's case, you still get to draw a card. My parents both thought otherwise, though, so we played as if drawing a card was part of the Attack.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gubump wrote:
1)When another player plays a Margrave and you use a Moat, Lighthouse, or Champion to protect yourself from the Attack, do you still draw a card, or is drawing a card part of the Attack?

Drawing a card is part of the Attack. Rather, these cards (Moat, etc.) prevent Attack cards from affecting you, and making you draw a card is affecting you.

Gubump wrote:
2)When another player plays a Margrave, can you reveal a Reaction Card that their Margrave caused you to draw?

No, you cannot. When you play an Attack card, each other player has to use Reactions before you do the Attack card's instructions. By the time they've drawn their card from Margrave, it's too late to react.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kromherjan
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You do not get to draw a card, the whole attack doesn't affect you.

2. You can not use a newly drawn Moat, because you're already resolving the attack and you should have used it before resolving the attack.

+1 for your parents
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everette Robertson
United States
Calhoun
KY
flag msg tools
mbmb
The answers are correct about Moat, but if you draw a Tunnel because of an opponent's Margrave, you could discard it for a Gold, because you draw before you discard.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
marcory wrote:
The answers are correct about Moat, but if you draw a Tunnel because of an opponent's Margrave, you could discard it for a Gold, because you draw before you discard.


Also because Tunnel reacts to being discarded apart from clean-up, as opposed to reacting to an attack card being played. Reaction cards have several different triggers that they can react to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You should avoid thinking of an attack in Dominion as "something that hurts you." That's not what an attack is. An attack is a type of card, one that says "attack" at the bottom. So when someone plays a card that says "attack" at the bottom, you can immediately reveal a card like Moat or Horse Traders. If you reveal Moat, then that card being played won't affect you; you ignore any parts of the card that affect you. This is important, because you can do things like reveal Horse Traders when an opponent plays Minion, even if he's only playing it to get the money.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GendoIkari_82 wrote:
You should avoid thinking of an attack in Dominion as "something that hurts you." That's not what an attack is. An attack is a type of card, one that says "attack" at the bottom. So when someone plays a card that says "attack" at the bottom, you can immediately reveal a card like Moat or Horse Traders. If you reveal Moat, then that card being played won't affect you; you ignore any parts of the card that affect you. This is important, because you can do things like reveal Horse Traders when an opponent plays Minion, even if he's only playing it to get the money.
Especially since how sometimes, Attack cards actually help you, like when a Militia is played and you get to discard Tunnel and/or play a Library to better effect.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.