Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a firm believer that some people are born with natural talents... and conversely some are born with natural blocks. I suffer from the latter.

Don't read to me out loud, I WILL NOT absorb anything in this manner. I need to read along or it just goes in one ear and out the other. Makes having rules explained to me difficult. Learning as I go works better, I don't mind losing a few games.. (ok, I lose a lot more than a few but it's still fun for me..)

Card synergy. That might as well be written in a dead language because it's impossible for me to understand. Perhaps I'm just stubborn as an ox or something but learning card synergy for like EVERY GAME MADE is an exercise in futility on my part. I just don't ever get it, about as close as I can come to card synergy is the three card follows the two card and so on. Doesn't stop me from trying but man oh man I'm as sharp as a box of bowling balls when it comes to card synergy.

I tend to try to play by the seat of my pants so you can imagine how horrible I am at any games that take long term planing, which would be MOST OF THE GAMES I OWN! I like to think I have the strategic depth of a Go master but in reality if I see something shiny I'm off chasing it until the next shiny thing catches my eye.

I may suck at board games, I may come in last just about every time but boy oh boy I have a good time getting there! It's not about the winning for me but the playing, so I guess that actually makes me the best player at the table in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Cleland
Australia
Baulkham Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
I supported because ...
badge
my silence is not questioned, nor is my presence, and sometimes there's magic!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're writing like you've looked into my own soul. Thank you for putting this into words. Your last paragraph sums it up, and it's a talent alright, not a block at all cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pandora Caitiff
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
Don't read to me out loud, I WILL NOT absorb anything in this manner. I need to read along or it just goes in one ear and out the other. Makes having rules explained to me difficult. Learning as I go works better, I don't mind losing a few games.. (ok, I lose a lot more than a few but it's still fun for me..)

Agreed!

This is why I hate the trend for everything to presented as a video, regardless of necessity. Gimme a damn transcript! Not only do I read way faster than people speak, but I'll actually remember it this way too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
I'm a firm believer that some people are born with natural talents... and conversely some are born with natural blocks. I suffer from the latter.

Card synergy. That might as well be written in a dead language because it's impossible for me to understand. Perhaps I'm just stubborn as an ox or something but learning card synergy for like EVERY GAME MADE is an exercise in futility on my part. I just don't ever get it, about as close as I can come to card synergy is the three card follows the two card and so on. Doesn't stop me from trying but man oh man I'm as sharp as a box of bowling balls when it comes to card synergy.

I tend to try to play by the seat of my pants so you can imagine how horrible I am at any games that take long term planing, which would be MOST OF THE GAMES I OWN! I like to think I have the strategic depth of a Go master but in reality if I see something shiny I'm off chasing it until the next shiny thing catches my eye.

I may suck at board games, I may come in last just about every time but boy oh boy I have a good time getting there! It's not about the winning for me but the playing, so I guess that actually makes me the best player at the table in the end.

Would have to agree man!

FUN is what we are all in it for ..............I hope...........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. Although I do all the field work and choose the games we buy, I rarely win at anything. But seeing how a game that I chose click with the other players and gets them involved is priceless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandoraCaitiff wrote:
dice roll wrote:

Agreed!

This is why I hate the trend for everything to presented as a video, regardless of necessity. Gimme a damn transcript! Not only do I read way faster than people speak, but I'll actually remember it this way too!

I couldn't agree more! I take in and remember things so much better in written form than spoken. And it's faster too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:

I strongly suspect that this applies to many of the people I game with - yet weirdly, all the friends who come round to play games (thankfully, not the people at the local board games club) refuse to even contemplate reading the rules, relying instead on me for an explanation of the game - and of course blaming me when something gets missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:

If someone is reading to you out loud, they are terrible at teaching the game laugh If you need to be reading, you have no business teaching.

What my brain refuses to learn: How to recognize the application of infinite series as the solution or practical element in a derivation. In that sense, for what I've done, I'm bad at math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent article.

Card synergy involves rote memorization of intricate combinations.

A board game which requires extensive planning threatens to cross the line between play and work.

Neither of these two elements (common in many current titles) match my definition of the word fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I can hardly remember anything that's read to me either. Or, I'll remember snippets from here, and bits from there, and whole new rules are created in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Andersson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mb
Memorization might not be the best thing. However, discovery of synergy between two or more different aspects is exhilarating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

4 elements, 4 colours.

Water is blue.

Earth is green.

Fire is yellow.

Air is red.

...wait, what ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorna B
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When it comes to board games I like too see them played or actually play them with people who know how to play them already as I find that the best way too learn. Just simply reading the rules out loud doesn't always work for me (especially with the more complex games) so I love watching a lot of the YouTube videos around especially ones by Tom Vasel and Watch It Played where you see them actually do a run through of the game.

Everyone has a different way of learning, what works for one person may not work for another its as simple as that in my opinion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:

I think this is true for most people. Unless you have a very nice voice reading it. Have you tried getting one of your friends with a sexy voice to read things to you?

Quote:

I'm so sorry. Card synnergy often comes naturally to me, and it's one of my favorite things to look for and discover in games.

Quote:

As long as you're having fun.

Quote:

Cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, card synergy can be tolerable (or even good) under certain conditions.

Most of the time, most people can see some good trivial combinations, but if those are complex and knowing the best combos becomes the only way to win or if there are a lot of cards and memorization of them gives someone a distinct advantage (I will hold on to those useless cards because in the Third Age Deck there is a card that will make them very powerful and my victory certain) the game loses much of its appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:
. . .4 elements, 4 colours.

Water is blue.

Earth is green.

Fire is yellow.

Air is red.

...wait, what ?

Exactly my wife's complaint. I just have been too lazy to redesign the board, and even if I could I have no way to change the color of the dice. *sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:

This is not a block. You, sir, are a haptic learner, and NOT an auditory learner.

(I seem to be hitting this a lot lately; I may have to eventually really write something up)

Dr. Lynn O'Brien classified people according to their preferred learning channels: Visual learners like to read and see images, Auditory learners like to hear things explained, and Haptic learners need to get their hands on something to understand it. Most people have one strong channel and one weak, while some have two strong channels. "Strong" perhaps isn't the best word, though, as it's more a preference.

At any rate, we're alike in that we are both strongly Haptic, and simply can't do Auditory. Luckily, when it comes to learning games, the self-aware Haptic learner can adapt. The next time someone wants to recite the rule book, simply tell them, "Hey, I don't learn well from verbal explanations. Can you please be sure to actually demonstrate how the game works?"

Have the teacher actually set things up to play through a sample turn or two. The game doesn't have to be completely set up, just enough to show what happens on a turn. Be sure to ask questions if you don't understand something! From the turn demonstration, you'll be able to visualize yourself taking a turn, and the rules will stick better.

If you want to be really thorough, do the demonstration yourself, guided by the teacher. The teacher says, "The first step is to roll the dice," and you roll the dice. "It's a two, so Jim and Joe both get ore." You give Jim and Joe an ore. "Now you can trade and build." Simulate a trade and build a road (or whatever). "Now the turn is over." Pass the dice to the next person.

That may sound extreme, but you sound really frustrated with your current game teachers.

Other things that might help:
-If you know in advance that you're going to learn a new game, see if you can find a turn summary on BGG. It helps to have something to follow your first few turns.
-If you have no other recourse than to read the rulebook, see if you can put something brightly colored behind it, like a piece of construction paper. I know how weird this sounds. Trust me. It's called "color grounding," and it actually does work.

If you're interested in learning a bit more about your learning channel, there's a nifty little questionnaire to score your preferences here: Learning Channel Preference. It also has tips for each learning style. Granted, it's more about classroom learning, but a lot of it does translate over to learning games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
dice roll wrote:

This is not a block. You, sir, are a haptic learner, and NOT an auditory learner.

While I agree that it's not a block, that doesn't necessarily mean he is one type of learner or the other. He's talking specifically about having the rules read to him. I have no problem in listening to a proper rules explanation, but reading rules out loud is probably the worst way to teach rules. One or two sentences when looking up some rule, fine, but the whole rulebook?! I would leave the table if someone tried to teach me a game like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really interesting. I have no trouble absorbing things read out loud to me but I do have a really hard time reading out loud due to dyslexia.

For people that don't absorb this way, do you enjoy podcasts, books on tape or do you have a hard time staying connected to it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bergom
United States
Towson
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
"Sometimes it would be nice to be wrong about people." -Commander Samuel Vimes
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
nbergom wrote:
dice roll wrote:

While I agree that it's not a block, that doesn't necessarily mean he is one type of learner or the other. He's talking specifically about having the rules read to him. I have no problem in listening to a proper rules explanation, but reading rules out loud is probably the worst way to teach rules. One or two sentences when looking up some rule, fine, but the whole rulebook?! I would leave the table if someone tried to teach me a game like this.

Second paragraph in the OP (emphasis mine):
dice roll wrote:

If it looks like a haptic learner, walks like a haptic learner, and quacks like a haptic learner . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
My kryptonite are games which you have your money and your company's money. While I like economic games like Brass and Indonesia, I have serious issues when I tried to play Imperial, Master of Economy and Greed Incorporated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Plaid Dragon
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
....Card synergy. That might as well be written in a dead language because it's impossible for me to understand....

You can't type things like this and not expect people to laugh hard enough so as to accidentally spit coffee on their keyboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
b a n j o wrote:
Kyur wrote:

4 elements, 4 colours.

Water is blue.

Earth is green.

Fire is yellow.

Air is red.

...wait, what ?

I hate this game just on principle. What game is this?

Seasons. Great game.

To be fair, the colour-coding seems to be based on the 4 seasons, not the 4 elements (which is what these "energy tokens" actually represent). I would have made fire/summer red and wind/autumn yellow. Still not perfect, but it makes a bit more sense -- at least to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nbergom wrote:
Second paragraph in the OP (emphasis mine):
dice roll wrote:

If it looks like a haptic learner, walks like a haptic learner, and quacks like a haptic learner . . .

The actual emphasis is in the previous sentences. It looked like to me that he equaled "having the rules read out loud" with "having the rules explained". I understood that it's how his group does it and he never had rules actually explained to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dice roll wrote:
Amen, brother!
I always just take the cards with the least text, because they seem more straightforward to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.