Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that attack helicopters often make for more complex rules, but World at War: Eisenbach Gap and its family make a fair fist of the concept, and at the squad level Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap and others also try hard.

But there seems to be a loss of interest in these kind of games since the end of the cold war. Looking older then I guess Boots & Saddles, An Assault Series Module might do the trick, but if I remember correctly it doesn't meet many of your requirements other than attack helicopters, being slightly cumbersome, harder to solo and sometimes taking a while to play.

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pichardo
United States
South Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another good one that meets almost all your criteria is Air & Armor. The one part it misses on is good to solo; it can be done, but it uses hidden counter strengths. If you're good at splitting your personality, it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boots and Saddles is by far the best. Part of the "Assault" game series. One man's opinion...

It solos fine, sets up fast, small tactical situations and easy to roll your own. It is a platoon level modern combat system of all arms, but it readily shows the mobility and firepower and tactics of air cav, both gunship and helo'ed infantry. The built in scenarios will all be first workd war vs the Warsaw Pact stuff, but it is easy to make your own situations against other force types and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A somewhat different alternative is Tac Air. This game focus on the modern air-land battle, so air units, helicopters and ground units are all important (no abstracted "air support points" here). Each counter is a battalion or flight of aircraft in size, so small differences in individual aircraft/helicopter performance is ignored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would look at DVG Games, Thunderbolt-Apache Leader, Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations and Phantom Leader - Deluxe, they are all solitaire games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Cav...now that brings back some memories, lol. Yay for 1985.

Air Cav is fun and good at what it does at the level it does it at, but it will be difficult to find a game at the same level of complexity--all its previously-mentioned Cold War contemporaries like Air & Armor and Boots & Saddles are progressively albeit mildly more complicated games. If you're up for sinking your teeth deeper into the topic of 80s/90s superpower conflict, go for it. You'll find, however, that with these larger treatments of combined arms, helicopters are just one of many elements.

Now, if you just want to play with choppers and blow shit up solo, then I certainly second the recommendation for Thunderbolt Apache Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same scale as Air Cav (individual vehicles, infantry squads), but a much more complex game would be the old AH edition of MBT (first edition) and the soon to be printed updated edition of MBT (second edition) from GMT Games.

Also Fire Team, another West End game with a similar scale, but much different game mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if any of these suggestions fit quite in the Air Cav box, but they should be close.

Thunderbolt Apache Leader. Solo experience that's a bit abstract, but it does let you assign individual pilots to attack helicopters and aircraft to accomplish missions. It focuses on using air power to attack various enemy formations in some modern encounters.

Tac Air. The first wargame that I owned. It has some neat ideas, but I feel the air portion is a bit too unbalanced in the campaign game. The individual scenarios work pretty well though. The focus is on combined arms in one area of Germany during an 80's era Soviet attack on NATO.

Fields of Fire. Solo game that follows one American unit through three wars (WWII, Korea, Vietnam). The Vietnam era heavily features helicopters and the logistics of ferrying in troops to an active combat zone.

GMT Next War Series. I think this is at a bit higher level than Air Cav (high level operational, close to strategic). The game really focuses on combined-arms in a coherent way. Lots of ground, air, special forces, air mobile, helicopters, paratroopers, Marines etc. Helicopters play an important role in direct ground support and making all the light infantry units very mobile.

If easy to learn is of the utmost importance, I'd not try Fields of Fire. The other three are pretty easy to learn, and have multiple smaller scenarios for quick play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pritchard
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm going to check out Next War Series first I think..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
monstrooper wrote:
Same scale as Air Cav (individual vehicles, infantry squads), but a much more complex game would be the old AH edition of MBT (first edition) and the soon to be printed updated edition of MBT (second edition) from GMT Games.

what chaps my ass is how so many people could P500 MBT (second edition), but not the announced expansions. Oh noooooo, they had no problem doing int for Panzer (second edition), now did they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
401k - I like Panzer. I've paid full price for four games to cover WWII. Buying one more to expand coverage to the modern era, maybe. Buying four or five more? Um, $500 for one game system? Come on. Getting to just be a scam...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.