Terra Mystica» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Low coin games, which faction do you choose? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

By low coins I'm talking, no BON2 or BON3. So only BON1 and BON9 are available. The classic picks are Alchemists (who solve the coin problem with their SH) and Engineers, who don't need as many coins as the other.

But let's say you're 3rd or 4th pick and the above two factions are gone. Who are you looking towards? Which factions do you say "better get that before the last player does" and which do you think "nope, definitely not playing that one"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
Nomads. a) they are equidistant and as far away from black and grey as possible, b) they get a whole lot of coins from 3rd+4th TP. Obviously, you need to play accordingly by putting those 4TP out there by round 4 (and probably you'll want a 5th and 6th for SH and TE upgrade). A TP scoring in round 3 and/or 4 is welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cultists and Swarmlings get the money from power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
Nomads. a) they are equidistant and as far away from black and grey as possible, b) they get a whole lot of coins from 3rd+4th TP. Obviously, you need to play accordingly by putting those 4TP out there by round 4 (and probably you'll want a 5th and 6th for SH and TE upgrade). A TP scoring in round 3 and/or 4 is welcome.

They will lack the money to build the TPs, you need the money earlier than round 4 or 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boris Langemark
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the original board as 2nd after Alchemists, Yetis - selecting grey as start colour devil (obviously before engineers are chosen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
1869 wrote:
Cultists and Swarmlings get the money from power.

I was in a low coin game recently and I was surprised how well the Swarmlings did. Intuitively I would've put them way down the list of options given how expensive everything is that they need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian B.
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
char(filter(1,[1 -1],[66 5 0 -39 82 -3 -12 8 8 -82]))
mbmbmbmbmb
The swarmlings make sense, as their one free TP per round saves a lot of money and having those TP on the board at the beginning of each round generates coins for them. Swarmlings' problem tends to be workers, not coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
I paid 100 Geek Gold so that you can read this! :-)
mbmbmbmbmb
1869 wrote:
DocCool wrote:

They will lack the money to build the TPs, you need the money earlier than round 4 or 5.
So, what's your proposal then? Any constructive things to say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Well in one game I am currently in, I decided to solve the problem with the ice maidens and fav9. Yetis are also a good option I think. They are not restricted in their access to act4.

I also considered the witches, as the free dwelling per round is also a coin saver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
1869 wrote:
DocCool wrote:

So, what's your proposal then? Any constructive things to say?

As I said, take high pw factions like cultists or swarmlings. Nomads need the coins from bons early on, maybe more than any other faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Zigmond
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SillyWords wrote:

Well in one game I am currently in, I decided to solve the problem with the ice maidens and fav9. Yetis are also a good option I think. They are not restricted in their access to act4.

I also considered the witches, as the free dwelling per round is also a coin saver.

I agree that Yetis can be good in low-coin games, for the reason you give. (They also of course get it cheaper - with the Stronghold built, 6 power in bowl 3 can become 14 coins if needed!) Ice maidens, perhaps - I virtually never play them (I really don't understand how they can ever be good). Witches, I don't really see. Sure, once you've built a stronghold you can save 2 coins per round, but that's not really going to do a lot for your coin needs. (You've spent 6 on the SH in the first place, so if you build it in round 1, you don't break even coin-wise until round 3.)

Alchemists are usually my first pick if BON2 and BON3 are both missing, provided at least one other plus point for Alchemists is present (SH/SA scoring in round 1, spade scoring in R4, most or all of the worker-giving bonus tiles being in the game, no TP scoring in the midgame) - but then I love the alchemists. Failing that, as others have said, Engineers and Swarmlings are decent picks (depending on other factors of course) - and yes, I think Yetis too. And Nomads certainly can be, but you need a plan to get those TPs out early while not starving yourself for workers.

PS for the Alchemists the real reason they shine in low-coin games isn't the 6c per round from the Stronghold, although that certainly helps. It's the VPs-for-coins ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan B.
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to go with Dwarves. When I play them (usually if the shipping tiles are out of the game and it takes place on the old map) I try to finish with a TP end of round, which nets 3 coins by design.

edit:
Regarding Nomads it's really a matter of round scoring. You can't afford with Nomads to build lots of TPs, if it doesn't score for you (and Earth 1 favor is better for them, than Water 1). Both TP scorings during the first four rounds would be such a case, I guess. But on the other hand, the whole game won't be so coin-strapped if there are two TP scorings early on

Ice Maidens: don't go with them. They need a lot of coins as they upgrade all their TPs to Temples at some point and they need to advance dig twice. Having said that: I never won with them yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Ryytty
Finland
Vantaa
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When there is D>>2 points bonus in first round green factions and Mermaids are definetely my choice. If you can end first round with 7 or 8 dwellings it gives you much of flexibility.

Nomads are bit hard in low-coin games. Expensive SH causes problems after building it. If you prepare to play them without building SH, then it is bit different case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.