Tiny Epic Kingdoms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elves level 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oren Bernstein
msg tools
mb
"If you only use [star] in war, gain +1 to your War Power."

Can you use zero resources in war and use this ability to have a War Power of 1? Is using no resources at all an example of using "only" mana?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Using no resources isn't only using mana. At least not for any English definition of only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oren Bernstein
msg tools
mb
I dunno, my intuitive interpretation of "only" is "not anything else". Or in order words, "I'm using only mana: zero mana, giving 1 War Power. I'm not using ore."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To clarify, I'm saying that I don't know the intent of the rules or the game design ... but the definition of the word only in this context requires that you use some mana.
Btw, if you say you are using 0 resources and 0 mana, you are also using 0 food and 0 ore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
steckman wrote:
Using no resources isn't only using mana. At least not for any English definition of only.

Actually, from a strict reading, that's exactly what it means.

"Only using magic" means not using anything other than magic. Contrast with "Using magic" and "Using magic and only magic."

It's a universal quantifier and it's vacuously true in the case of the empty set.

That's how I'd interpret it, anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But it says, "if you only use mana" ... which means that you have to use mana. Using 0 mana is not using mana. If you think using 0 mana is using mana, then using 0 ore is using ore, and using 0 food is using food, so it still doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to get nitpicky (and it seems like you do), then I think you're twisting the phrase to what you want it to mean.

It says "only using mana", and thus requires the that you use mana and only mana.

If it said "using only mana", then it just requires that you not use anything else, and using nothing would give the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Strategywizard
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way it reads to me, it means that if you allocate resources to war (any number higher than zero/flag) and only use your mana (stars) to fulfill the requirement, then you gain an additional war power. If you allocate nothing, then you didn't use anything (mana or otherwise). It's a way to have additional options after reveal. If you realize that you need 1 more war power to win a battle, you can allocate solely mana to get that extra point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This reminds me of a similar discussion related to Humans level 3 power.

Food during War?

Using 0 mana does not count as using mana. In order to "use only mana" you have to spend at least 1 mana. If you are not spending any mana, then you are not using mana.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bdetsst wrote:
It's a way to have additional options after reveal. If you realize that you need 1 more war power to win a battle, you can allocate solely mana to get that extra point.

Actually, it's not ... The "+1 War Power" is a resource discount (you can bid 7 but only pay 6). This is much clearer in 2nd edition.

In 2nd edition, this power reads:
"If you pay for war using only , -1 war cost."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.