Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Right now, I count 9 VP's on the East, and 2 VP's on the West, for a total of 11, and the right to continue on the to the Extended Game.

Score Notes:

1) A3 & WN60 are cut off from communication since they can't trace communication to a draw hex adjacent to a beach hex.

2) WN61 is in field of fire of Green WN.

3) Lone unit in purple hex on the East side of the map has no FOF into hex, so it scores. Lone unit in purple hex straddling the boundary line has brown FOF into the hex, so it doesn't.

4) WN66S & WN66N do not score because WN66S has a blue FOF in it.

5) WN68S/68N were tricker for me. I do NOT believe they score because US Communication cannot be established to it as all communication has to reach the beach, and the only way to the beach goes through a village hex with a blue FOF into it. And even if I did reach it via US communication, I still think the WN can squeak out communication itself because the disrupted unit to the West controls a hex that has a purple FOF in it, and hence can't stop German communication going through it, right?

I still haven't been able to control any of the draws in any of my games, which makes points harder to come by. And I was even doing better than my final score before some late game events had enemies popping up in reinforcement locations like crazy and adding FOF to hexes I thought were under my control. So thank heavens for the 2nd edition changes to allow continuation to the extended game with 11VP's instead of 13VP's. I'm right on the cutoff, unless you guys break my heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mjacobsca wrote:
Right now, I count 9 VP's on the East, and 2 VP's on the West, for a total of 11, and the right to continue on the to the Extended Game.

Notes:

1) A3 & WN60 are cut off from communication since they can't trace communication to a draw hex adjacent to a beach hex.

Actually, you don't have A3 and WN60. German communication can be traced to them via any exit hex to C1, 1112, 1011, 0911, 0910 (none of these are adjacent to beach hexes), 0909, and 0908.

It sounds like you are attempting to make German communication run to a draw hex adjacent to a beach hex? Beach hexes and pavilion hexes adjacent to beach hexes actually block German communication. See 12.2 on page 19.

mjacobsca wrote:
2) WN61 is in field of fire of Green WN.

3) Lone unit in purple hex on the East side of the map has no FOF into hex, so it scores. Lone unit in purple hex straddling the boundary line has brown FOF into the hex, so it doesn't.

4) WN66S & WN66N do not score because WN66S has a blue FOF in it.

5) WN68S/68N were tricker for me. I do NOT believe they score because US Communication cannot be established to it as all communication has to reach the beach, and the only way to the beach goes through a village hex with a blue FOF into it.

(5) There is another way to the beach from 0825 to 0726 through the slope. Unfortunately, that way is cut off by WN70.

I count 9 Vps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Argh. You're right. I lose again. 0/7. I messed myself up by positioning my guys too far south. I opened holes when all I needed to do was leave a guy behind guarding the path. Seems kind of gamey to leave a unit behind, but I suppose I'll have to do it next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question regarding A3 and WN60. Regardless of the German communication discussed above, don't the hexes need to be in US control to score? Wouldn't this require a unit in or adjacent (if unit has a black symbol) to these positions to score?

Edit: Nevermind. I checked the rules and I now see under 13.22 "A hex is also considered in US control for victory purposes if US communication can be traced to it and German communication cannot"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
I completely agree with Matt, A3 and WN60 do not score.
In general it seems you're confused regarding communication for scoring purposes.... if you have control of a VP position (like A5 with unit L/3/16) then you need to be in US communication, so find a path down to the beach avoiding hexes under fire, note also that you can't cross bluffs or cliffs.
If you have VP hexes "behind you", like WN60 and A3, but you don't control them, then you need US communication to those hexe (as before) and also German must not be able to trace communication; for german communication, you should avoid beach hexes and pavilion hexes adjacent to the beach

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Csn you trace German communication through a hex that is controlled by U.S. units but has German FOF in it? I've been playing with the rule that you can; ie the U.S. unit does not control a hex with a FOF in it and so German communication can pass right through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuele Falco
msg tools
mbmbmb
No, you cannot trace German communication through a hex that is controlled by U.S. units (even if the hex has German FoF in it), apart from the special bocage hex rule (I can't give you the reference to the rules now)

A US unit, if capable, can control a hex in FoF, but this is not sufficient at the end of the game when you calculate the VPs... in this case the hex must be free from fire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williams
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
mjacobsca wrote:
5) WN68S/68N were tricker for me. I do NOT believe they score because US Communication cannot be established to it as all communication has to reach the beach, and the only way to the beach goes through a village hex with a blue FOF into it.

(5) There is another way to the beach from 0825 to 0726 through the slope. Unfortunately, that way is cut off by WN70.

I count 9 Vps.

Since the two slopes from the high ground to the pavilion are covered, we would have to discount the two VPs near General Cota as well as there is no US Communication, correct?

I think we're looking at 7 VP.

Damn...this game is hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, upon further clarification from this: VP check and US communication considerations, you would get 68N and 68S for 11 points.

See Mr. Butterfield's response. It seems you can go into enemy territory and come out at a completely different area in order to get to the beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Williams
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kubigaruma wrote:
Actually, upon further clarification from this: VP check and US communication considerations, you would get 68N and 68S for 11 points.

See Mr. Butterfield's response. It seems you can go into enemy territory and come out at a completely different area in order to get to the beach.

Ah, yep yep.

I've gotta pay more attention to that on my next play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Williams wrote:
I've gotta pay more attention to that on my next play!

Me too. I may have shorted myself a win or two in my long list of defeats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.