Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

here's a 3 player game I recently played at snellman:
http://terra.snellman.net/faction/quickgame156/engineers/

It didn't go bad (losing 142 to 143 in the end), but as I felt pretty confident to have an edge over the others, I have the strong feeling that I unnecessarily threw the game away somehow - and I'm not sure how...

Here are some points about my strategic choices not to just throw the game at you:
- As it was a super low coin game and I was pretty sure to get blue as neighbor on the map, I picked engineers
- When placing my second dwelling I decided to leave black in isolation (I don't know if that was a smart idea - would you have prefered the spot between the two black dwellings giving him leach?)
- The start with 1D+2TE felt promising
- I'm not sure about round 2, double dig but only one dwelling (Maybe not connecting to black yet would have been smarter, e.g. bridge to c2? On the other side passing early got me strong Bon1...)
- Two TPs for coins and Vps seemed reasonable for me in R3
- Grabbing the '7 coins' in R4 did really hurt blue
- Forming the two towns while getting a SH to start bridge scoring seemed best for me in R4
- R5/R6 I didn't really manage to squeeze out as many points as I'd liked to, some flaws here? (A third town did not seem realistic to me, competing for the network not that promising)

Some contrary opinions about the game, advice or analysis by more experienced players? Thanks in advance!

(I first posted this in the session reports forum, were it was rejected as 'poor formated irrelevant spam' - which quite surprised me, as the whole lot of 'me against the lodev AI'-threads apparantly seems to be relevant enough... Maybe strategy is a better place?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting at c5 instead of f6 wasn't good. Either leave him allone for ever or leech from the start. It cost him 3c but you gave him good leech afterwards while not beeing optimally positioned yourself. Having a te on either starting position is better than two next to each other concearning leech and town building.
Leech is more valuable for engeneers because they can build alot with the help of act3 and act4.
With f6 you can also threaten to take g6 which darklings can't take before finishing two towns.
Darklings also started suboptimal by digging twice with priests instead of sending one to water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silly Words
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb

Engineers are my second best faction, I love their flexibility. C5 was a really odd choice. F6 between the blacks is perfect and you leech like hell. That would've been perfect for you.

And wow! I just learnt something by looking at your game. I was under the impression that if I leech 4, but can only use 3 because I'm 0/3/3 in my pools, then I still had to pay the full leeching price of -3vp. But this is not the case. I only pay the price for the 3pw that I leech i.e. 2vp.

I don't have the box or the rules, so I never got to see it on paper.

Apart from that the rest of your game looked really solid. You built everything in the rounds you had to, even two towns in round 4. I can't see any obvious mistakes. I just think Darklings are bitches to beat. If you play reasonably with them, then it is hard to miss 140pts.

I did notice though if you'd sacrificed the water cult and gone all out on fire with fav1 instead of fav6, then you would've earned 26 on cults, instead of the 23 you got. So that would've won it for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juho Snellman
Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
flag msg tools
mb
It seems hard to argue that the right things were built on the right rounds when there were two dwelling scoring rounds that produced a total of 6vp. They should be a prime scoring opportunity. Instead this game has painfully many gray hexes free at the end of the game, all just for the lack of shipping.

I think it all goes wrong on rounds 4/5 with the huge spending on the SH + bridges. Especially when the bridge plan requires things like two spades on E8! Seems better to create the towns with SA E7 (with FAV10), D+TP F4 and TP D7. Get ships at least to level 2, maybe level 3. Aim for at least 14 buildings at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you take g6 with your bonus digs at end of round 4, you win.
Don't be nice to darklings and don't care too much for connection if you have smallest terrain anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for your helpful replies! meeple

1869 wrote:
If you take g6 with your bonus digs at end of round 4, you win.
I thought about that but then I felt that I had to get my SH-scoring started (not to kill darklings but lose to the mermaids instead). I didn't realize that I actually could have won the network against mermaids and that this combined some dwellings (including 4Vp each) also would also have been a decent way to score:
jsnell wrote:
I think it all goes wrong on rounds 4/5 with the huge spending on the SH + bridges. Especially when the bridge plan requires things like two spades on E8! Seems better to create the towns with SA E7 (with FAV10), D+TP F4 and TP D7. Get ships at least to level 2, maybe level 3. Aim for at least 14 buildings at the end of the game.
Interesting thought not to get the SH/Bridge-stuff at all. I allways thought that this would be required to score really high with engineers, but when i sum it up, your suggestion could easily lead to at least the 21 Vp, too, while granting more resources.

SillyWords wrote:
I did notice though if you'd sacrificed the water cult and gone all out on fire with fav1 instead of fav6, then you would've earned 26 on cults, instead of the 23 you got. So that would've won it for you.

Yeah, the blue and red cults weren't that efficient - i didn't expect darklings to invest that much in the end. But maybe there would have competition on air/earth instead if I had secured fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Reitberger
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E8 isn't reqired for the bridges, you can have two bridges d6 without it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Lima
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jsnell wrote:
It seems hard to argue that the right things were built on the right rounds when there were two dwelling scoring rounds that produced a total of 6vp. They should be a prime scoring opportunity. Instead this game has painfully many gray hexes free at the end of the game, all just for the lack of shipping.

This. I like this strategy. I hardly go for SH/bridges engine for engineers. Almost all times go for network/cults. But I don't know if its possible mix both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.