Subject: Market Garden game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Poland
Poznan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not fan of WWII games but things could change, right?
So what game in operational scale about Operation Market Garden (or some part of it) would you recommend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hell's Highway is an older game, but still pretty good.Counters are a bit meh but a good Market Garden game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

To quote U2 - 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'. The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen is the best game I've currently played on the topic but I don't currently have the time/space to get the whole campaign to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

To quote U2 - 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'. The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen is the best game I've currently played on the topic but I don't currently have the time/space to get the whole campaign to the table.

-Therein lies the problem. Definitely rate those two (I have the lower half of the campaign), but that has 4 maps,1500 counters.Where can I play it?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Robinson
United Kingdom
Barrow in Furness
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek999950 wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

-Therein lies the problem. Definitely rate those two (I have the lower half of the campaign), but that has 4 maps,1500 counters.Where can I play it?!

Vassal, play the game without needing any space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno reo
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
maybe: Arnhem '44

I heard positive things about it. But hard to get and out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Air Bridge to Victory

An early release from GMT and map graphics aren't up to modern standards, but I found it very good and a way to play the whole campaign with reasonable table space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Monty's Gamble: Market Garden should be at or near the top of most lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Gillam
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:

+1 ...but the box cover art!THE HORROR!shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Derek999950 wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

+1 ...but the box cover art!THE HORROR!shake

Must P500 the new edition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno reo
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Monster SCS game: It Never Snows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Classy Andrew
United States
Maplewood
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Liberty Roads has a nice Market Garden scenario at divisional scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin halloran
United Kingdom
carnforth
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AH's 1981, Storm over Arnhem? Widely available on ebay although prices seem to have increased recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Air Bridge to Victory

An early release from GMT and map graphics aren't up to modern standards, but I found it very good and a way to play the whole campaign with reasonable table space.

+1 The game is old but very fun and playable. The graphics are a bit outdated, but it can be bought relatively cheap that is always a bonus if you just want to try a market garden game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severus Snape
Canada
flag msg tools
Pascal said, "The eternal silence of these infinite spaces terrifies me."
badge
"The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of."--Pascal
mbmbmbmbmb
Monty's Gamble is great; and it would be great if you added your name to the p500 list so that MMP would, as Doctor Who says," Take a chance; put the boat out," and reprint this fine game.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Air Bridge to Victory

Thanks for the heads up. Just placed an order via BGG marketplace so someone's going to think this thread was a good idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to start with something simpler and smaller check out A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem - it was re-released the next year in a book case version with a hard map as "A Bridge Too Far".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Air Bridge to Victory

I just happen to have recently picked up a nice HB edition of "A Bridge too far", and realized I was going to be wanting a game...this will do nicely. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ashiefan wrote:

To quote U2 - 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'.

This. I'm beyond monsters so Devil's Cauldron is out for me. I have Hell's Highway but it's also one step up in complexity more thnt I really want. And I'd have to make my own counters because the ones that came with it are unreadable to my old eyes.

I just picked up Air Bridge to Victory from a very nice BGG seller; it arrived Thursday. I had it decades ago but I don't remember anything about it. Okay, the map is ugly and the counters nothing more than functional but it looks manageable and at a complexity level that I'm comfortable with.. Some complain about Grave becoming a German super-fortress so some house rules may be necessary (How did they miss that in playtesting?).

One advantage though is price. I got my copy for $19 w/shipping. And they are out there.

Also, SPI's A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem quad game is still one of the best.

I heard somewhere that Mark Simonitch was planning a Market-Garden game utilizing his Ardennes '44 game system. That would probably be very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roi Espino
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Expectations wrote:
Ashiefan wrote:

To quote U2 - 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for'.

This. I'm beyond monsters so Devil's Cauldron is out for me. I have Hell's Highway but it's also one step up in complexity more thnt I really want. And I'd have to make my own counters because the ones that came with it are unreadable to my old eyes.

I just picked up Air Bridge to Victory from a very nice BGG seller; it arrived Thursday. I had it decades ago but I don't remember anything about it. Okay, the map is ugly and the counters nothing more than functional but it looks manageable and at a complexity level that I'm comfortable with.. Some complain about Grave becoming a German super-fortress so some house rules may be necessary (How did they miss that in playtesting?).

One advantage though is price. I got my copy for $19 w/shipping. And they are out there.

Also, SPI's A Bridge Too Far: Arnhem quad game is still one of the best.

I heard somewhere that Mark Simonitch was planning a Market-Garden game utilizing his Ardennes '44 game system. That would probably be very good.

I have a hope that GMT would reprint Air bridge with better graphics and correcting some errors, if the reprint of Silver bayonet (same game system) is sucefull

As you say the system is interesting and the scale manageable for the full campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnoreo1 wrote:

I bought this because Judd liked it. It is the first wargame in 40 years to completely defeat my attempt to figure it out. I flat can't play it. I don't even understand how to set it up.

I'm not content to end things that way, some day I intend to learn this game, even if I have to drive to Kansas and track Judd down and make him teach me...but for now I've got better things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno reo
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok maybe because it is a translation? Wish I had picked this up four years ago while I had the chance..at my local gamestore.

blockhead wrote:
arnoreo1 wrote:

I bought this because Judd liked it. It is the first wargame in 40 years to completely defeat my attempt to figure it out. I flat can't play it. I don't even understand how to set it up.

I'm not content to end things that way, some day I intend to learn this game, even if I have to drive to Kansas and track Judd down and make him teach me...but for now I've got better things to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the ones out there, Hells Highway is the best IMO. But the battle screams for treatment using the Roads to Leningrad system. I'd settle for a Normandy '44 system treatment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
arnoreo1 wrote:

Print off this fan-made player aid. It is indispensable:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/58519/short-review-ar...

Or cruise out to Wichita. Oh crap, man...I didn't realize you were from Durango. I spent the night out there June 4.

But on the bright side, I can tell you that it is possible to drive Durango-Wichita in one day, and even spend 4 hours at the Great Sand Dunes. But man, is it a long haul, and you drive about 75-80 mph for most of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the OP:

Here's what I have from highest complexity to lowest.

Hell's Highway: I don't have much experience with it. It's John Butterfield, so you pretty much know it's going to be excellent. The counters, suck, though, because the printing is too small, but if you go to the files section, a fan created alternate counters that are much better. I paid a guy $30 to make these.

Monty's Gamble: Market Garden: Area-Impulse game by the king of the genre. It follows the concepts of many of the other games in the Breakout: Normandy system, but has a lot of special rules for the first turn.

Arnhem '44: Lots of plastic and buckets of dice. It's not trying to be a detailed sim, but one of the more complicated plastic-based games.

A Bridge Too Far: Operation Market Garden: Another game with plastic. This is area-impulse in nature. It follows the Flames of War model, but is a stand-alone game, as I do not own any FoW stuff. Clever system. Set it up, work through the first turn and then you have it down and the other turns fly.

Paul Koenig's Market Garden Series: I had 2 of the 3 games in this family. I didn't care for them. The system didn't work for me. Sold it.

Mercury/Market Garden: Best light treatment of the game while keeping enough there to know you are playing Market-Garden. The game has 3 pages of rules and a page of optional rules. Use the optional rules. Also, go to the files section and print off the "Flattening the Learning Curve" file.

Target Arnhem: Across 6 Bridges: Super light game. OK, but Mercury-Market Garden was a lot better, so I traded this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.