Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Variants

Subject: Honorverse Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Woodman GW
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm rereading some of David Weber's Honor Harrington (i.e. Honorverse) books and started thinking about how interesting a board game it could make . The SITS is out there already as a tactical game (not very successful unfortunately) but there isn't anything out there as a strategic game. It occurs to me that Twilight Imperium has all the elements for such a game. Has anyone had any thoughts about variant rules for this?

Politics would be a key factor but the Galactic Council concept would need to be modded - the politics would have direct impact on relations and combat between individual factions. I would think adding some variant technologies, maybe tweaking the combat sequence to more explicitly include a missile exchange and making more use of wormholes than the base game does (Manticore had several all in one system).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to consider the importance of commerce and commerce raiding.

Wormholes are important but so are wormhole defense (mines). You would probably want to modify how mines work to protect wormholes.

Of course the best way to control a bridge is to control both ends, and that is always the policy of the 'war party' faction of Manticore.

You want to consider minor and major allies.

The superior educational base of Manticore against the Solar League and Haven. Superior technology attenment.

But mostly you have to deal with vastly different sized political entities, and the effects that has on their ability to start and fight wars.

If you can do that a balance a game, then you are onto something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.