Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

The Resistance» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF X206X This is just sick! Scientists - 0 Terrorist - 0 CANCELLED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm throwing this idea out there to see if there is interest. I'll post PBF rules, etc. if this idea files.

Scenario: It is far into the future and the terrorists have wiped out most of civilization including themselves. In a bunker, there are seven lucky scientists that survived the devastation. It is up to these seven to regenerate civilization.

However, one of the occupants in the bunker is a terrorist. Everybody knows that because they have found some scribblings in the bunker and have figured out that it is a formula for a biological weapon that was intended to make the entire world lethally sick.

Furthermore, the terrorist among them can make other people sick. During each sent mission, he will infect someone on the mission if he is on it, and somebody in the bunker if he is not. If a scientist is infected, he will also infect somebody during the mission.

A successful mission will bring back the ingredients to make enough antidote to make one person healthy, but the antidote must be taken immediately upon the return from the mission. If the terrorist takes the antidote, he will no longer be contagious and the scientists win. However, the terrorist can drop the potion on the floor - they will all know he is the terrorist but he can hope that infected people continue to go on the mission. The third successful mission will bring enough antidote to last forever.

The terrorist will never show symptoms unless he wants to. (He tells the moderator that he wants to display symptoms, but I'm not sure why he would want to do that.) All others will show symptoms one mission after they have been infected, but after the antidote for that mission was taken.

An infected scientist is still playing for the good guys; i.e. it's 6 against 1.

Even if he does not show symptoms, an infected scientist will be too sick to assist in the mission and will cause the mission to fail and no antidote will come back to the camp.

At the game's beginning, the only infected player will be the terrorist. He will infect someone during M1.1 who will start showing symptoms right after the M2 antedote is taken (unless he quaffed an antidote after M1 or M2.)

The mission sizes will be 2, 3, 4, 3, 4. The increasing mission sizes will ensure that the scientists can't win simply by taking the same team, and the decrease into M4 gives the scientists a chance even when a real pandemic is occuring.

Taking an antidote will completely eliminate the disease from your system but you may be infected again during the next mission.

Infections: After each successful mission, every player will send me a player to infect. Only those instructions from the terrorist and sick people will be carried out. Of course, if they all discuss it and decide to infect the same player who is about to receive the antidote, the terrorist will clearly pick someone else.

So who wants to try to finger that dispicable terrorist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: PBF 206 This is just sick! Scientists - 0 Terrorist - 0
In if there's Merlin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting - I never considered Merlin for this, but you are suggesting an omniscient scientist that can be killed by the terrorist? An interesting idea, and with 6 Merlin candidates, there's not too much risk of exposure unless Merlin exposes himself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clyde and Max, would you consider moving your posts below the 'Reserved' slots that I had forgotton to put in? Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
paulhar wrote:
During each sent mission, he will infect someone on the mission if he is on it, and somebody in the bunker if he is not.

Won't that make it too easy for the scientists if the terrorist isn't on M1?

I might be interested depending on when it starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
In if I get to mock the mod without playing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Burr
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Blue meeples FTW!
badge
I'm so blue.
mb
Sounds fun. I'll play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John X
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you run down the exact order of steps and infections after both a successful and a failed mission? I'm not exactly sure when the antidote protects you and from what.

Assuming I like the answer, there's a good chance this could be my first PBF game after very much lurking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnorama wrote:
Can you run down the exact order of steps and infections after both a successful and a failed mission? I'm not exactly sure when the antidote protects you and from what.

Assuming I like the answer, there's a good chance this could be my first PBF game after very much lurking.

Usual Resistance mission selection rules apply.

When a mission is sent, each player sends me a message of who they infect if they are sick. The terrorist can choose not to infect anybody. If you are on the mission, you must choose someone else on the mission. If you're not on the mission, you must choose someone else not on the mission.

If any infected people are on the mission, the mission will not pass - the players will have produced an antidote but it will have no effect. You won't know that the mission failed.

Upon the return from the mission, the mission leader will have some antidote (which could be worthless.) He will choose one player to take the antidote. The group may discuss who first but the mission leader will have the final say.

If the antidote is good (i.e. there were no sick players on the misison), that player will be cured if he is sick, and he won't be infected by any infection instructions given to me during that mission. He can be infected in the future however.

If the terrorist takes a good antidote, the scientists win. If the mission leader chooses the terrorist, the terrorist can destroy the antidote to not immediately lose but the terrorist will be exposed. If the terrorist takes a worthless antidote, nothing happens.

If anybody was infected on a prior round, and not cured by an antidote since, they will display symptoms.

Note that on the first mission, only the terrorist is sick and everybody else's instructions will be meaningless (but will be sent anyway because there are actually people that look to see when people are logged on - a despicable practice in my opinion but it's done nevertheless. After that, there will be some that don't know if they are sick so their instructions will matter.)

There will be no pass/fail instructions - if you are sick, you fail the mission automatically.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John X
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, now things seem changed from the first post, so I guess I'm glad I asked for clarification (now mission success/failure & antidote effectiveness is all secret, ok).

I have to question what useful information can anyone get in this game then? Literally the only information we gain is "You've won/lost the game!" or "Player X has started coughing". Why wouldn't good just send M1, antidote someone off-mission and add them to M2, and repeat for M3? That is a game victory if no terrorist on M1. And since it only fails if Terrorist is on M1, they have him in that box then. Whenever other M1 guy shows symptoms (before M2? before M3? I'm still not quite sure) then there's still a quarantine set-up of 4 people who can't be infected (they weren't ever off mission with the terrorist). Send them, them minus one, and them + the guy taken off for the win (after he was given the M4 antidote).

Either I think I'm missing something or this needs to be re-worked, as the only conceivable terrorist victory is to be on M1 and then never infect anybody, and utilize his fancy secret failures (which still seems weird to me) to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John X
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I guess good also needs to avoid giving the terrorist the antidote, as once he drops it then there's no guarantee of a clean team. Once the quarantine is broken (i.e. the infection isn't guaranteed to be located in only 1 of the 2 groups) then it becomes a crap shoot, and my instinct is it becomes more or less impossible for good to win. After any mission with an infected non-terrorist, then it's guaranteed that there're more bad in the game than good (scientist on & terrorist off both infect someone), which means M3 and M5 can never return a good antidote, and Terrorist gets to keep infecting someone new every mission.

Basically, I think this looks like a convoluted coin-flip, and I really don't see any strategy involved besides both sides saying "give me the antidote please".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible the idea doesn't work. I can make the people show symptoms immediately but then they would never go on a mission.

It's possible that it would work better if you knew the mission failed (i.e. no antidote came back.) That would give people more information to work with but I don't think it would give the scientists too much of an edge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll leave this open for another month or so but I suspect that this game isn't going to happen due to lack of interest. I'm going to open an Avalon for PBF 208 and I really hope y'all will consider PBF 202 - The Team Game which should be lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, this was not one of my better ideas. I'm giving this thread a merciful death so I can use PBF 206 for a better casue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karafruit Villager-Thrower
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
please don't fluff my kiwifruits
mbmbmbmbmb
paulhar wrote:
OK, this was not one of my better ideas. I'm giving this thread a merciful death so I can use PBF 206 for a better casue.

Can I count this as another win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harrington
United States
Fort Myers
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kiwi13cubed wrote:
Can I count this as another win?

Are you claiming terrorist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.