Mare Nostrum: Empires» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter add-on - is 'the big map' worth buying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Pooley
United Kingdom
Cheshire
flag msg tools
Just backed Mare Nostrum at the $180 level. ~£128.

Reason being that it includes '1775 - Rebellion' - RRP £56 from Amazon and Fief RRP £50 from Amazon meaning getting Mare Nostrum plus expansion and stretch goals for about £22...bargain. Currency exchange rates with the USA are stupidly low at the moment.

Looking at the add-ons - what is the reason for the big map? As I really have no idea how the game plays (it 'feels' good on the read etc) would it be worth getting?

And, yes, I have a home-made gaming table that will easily take it!!!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zoran
United Kingdom
London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the one hand it's a glorified mouse mat, on the other, Cleopatra would choose to be unrolled in front of Caesar in it were she alive today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo A number of companies have been using these "display" maps at conventions in the last few years to bring viewers over to their booths. You certainly don't need it, as is true of all of the Add-Ons. Eagle Games put out their regular production board games with giant boards years ago, and they are fun to use if you have the room! Firefly The Game has announced the same for the original map and the two map expansions, the second of which will debut in August.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alfsterino wrote:
Just backed Mare Nostrum at the $180 level. ~£128.

Reason being that it includes '1775 - Rebellion' - RRP £56 from Amazon and Fief RRP £50 from Amazon meaning getting Mare Nostrum plus expansion and stretch goals for about £22...bargain. Currency exchange rates with the USA are stupidly low at the moment.

Looking at the add-ons - what is the reason for the big map? As I really have no idea how the game plays (it 'feels' good on the read etc) would it be worth getting?

And, yes, I have a home-made gaming table that will easily take it!!!

Thanks.
For almost everyone the USD is strong.
It's just that the GBP is too.

I wouldn't call it "stupidly low", vs the SEK you guys have increased similarly.

USD/SEK from 6.3 to 8.5.
GBP/SEK from 10 to 13.

What you notice are most likely the expensive prices for everything in the UK always =P

Fief and those games are about 550 SEK here. Which would be £55 IF the GBP traded at 10:1 but it trades at more than 13:1 so you're paying more than 30% more than it cost here in Sweden and we've got 25% VAT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I opted for the big map too. A friend of mine has made beautiful 3D versions of Academy Game's 1775, and 1812, and I know he'll enjoy playing Mare Nostrum on the bigger mat I've ordered (it's only fair).

Pat's 3D 1775 Rebellion board at a local con last month:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.