11 Posts

Myth» Forums » Rules

Subject: Soldier's Weapons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Rainbow
msg tools
I have a quick question:

1 - Can the Soldier use a Longbow or any other type of bow as long as he has a quiver that has ammo equipped as well, or is the Soldier limited to hand-to-hand combat and the bow's are supposed to be used with the archer? I see it as the Soldier can use a bow as long as he has a quiver, which then replaces his "shield" slot... meaning he is giving up some sort of defense in order to be able to attack from distance. Is that accurate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the Soldier can use a bow as long as he can get ammo. Though him giving up his shield for a quiver means he can't use his attack cards that require a shield.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
I didn't think there was any way to get ammo apart from playing ammo cards the way the archer, and presumably the hunter as well, has them in bis hero deck?

With just the base box yes there is no way that I recall for the Soldier to get ammo. However there may be ways from agent cards or future items, or journeyman classes etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Webb
United States
Edmonds
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
js379 wrote:
Never mind, I found my answer.. the soldier's attack cards have the melee keyword, so they can only be performed using weapon that also have the melee keyword. So, no wand and no bow... even if he figured out a way to get ammo. This is only on the 2.0 item cards, and I didnt quite catch that the first time I skimmed through them.

Oh yeah I forgot about them adding that keyword in 2.0. My mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rainbow
msg tools
Wow, so a soldier can't use anything other than melee weapons... is that accurate? I am understanding now that MCG is really trying to specify a class of hero to make sure there isn't a lot of crossover. I am good with that, and it takes a change in strategy if the soldier can only melee, and can't be proficient with a bow or wand... etc. Cool, we will work with these rules. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Rainbow
msg tools
I too would love to see some weaker attacks with other weapons, as to me a soldier isn't just someone who runs around having mastered a sword. Soldiers would/could be more balanced and know many weapons, THOUGH, they are proficient in one or two (such as the sword in this case). I just don't think you would find a solid soldier that didn't know how to shoot a bow... a wand, well he might turn his head into a pumpkin or something, but weapons in general should be a bit more variety. Again, love that they (MCG) are narrowing down to hero classes, but I agree that having some weaker attacks with other weapons makes a bit more sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as someone that has primarily been playing the game as a Solider, he really works best when you just toss him right into a whole mess of enemies. While there have been situations where having a ranged attack might have helped, more often than not, using the Rage mechanic with Battle Dance has helped tremendously and I leave the ranged attacks to the Acolyte.

Thematically, I like to think of a card like The Hidden Blade as a small dagger that the Solider uses (while in melee range) to help quickly dispatch larger groups of minions, but he's primarily hacking through everything sword-and-board style. With the Journeyman update, you'll presumably start seeing some differentiation in fighting styles (depending on which path you select), but I can't imagine "range" is ever going to be a core characteristic for this class.

Yes, the characters are pretty tight fantasy role-playing archetypes in terms of weapons, skills, etc... but I think that does make them a bit easier to play. I don't normally play fighter types in games so I was struggling a bit with the Soldier -- until I had him rush to the front lines and start chopping through waves of enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Brehm
msg tools
mbmb
Flobo22 wrote:
I too would love to see some weaker attacks with other weapons, as to me a soldier isn't just someone who runs around having mastered a sword. Soldiers would/could be more balanced and know many weapons, THOUGH, they are proficient in one or two (such as the sword in this case). I just don't think you would find a solid soldier that didn't know how to shoot a bow... a wand, well he might turn his head into a pumpkin or something, but weapons in general should be a bit more variety. Again, love that they (MCG) are narrowing down to hero classes, but I agree that having some weaker attacks with other weapons makes a bit more sense to me.

So maybe instead of JM/Ma cards that are great in any deck, a few weapon specific attacks that are both really great and combo off other cards? So each is better than average, but you've got a smaller pool that you can use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.