Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just found out about this...I had the original but it was unwieldy. How is this new version? Is it worth the $160 that they want for it on their webpage? Inquiring minds want to know....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to know the original designer of the game gets absolutely nothing from this new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
You might want to know the original designer of the game gets absolutely nothing from this new version.

Please do not hijack this thread. I just want to know, from the people who now have the new version of this game, about the quality of the game and it's gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lieven De Puysseleir
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
trust me, I'm a dentist
badge
we don't lie, we use statistics
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

Not sure where this is supposed to be going? But they get renewed interest in their game, so whatever they designed back then lives on. They could've "easily" reproduced their own game if they had a real interest in it?

I never played the original, However, I'm really glad I get the opportunity to play this renewed version. Looking forward to see my copy in the mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frida lavassani
Azerbaijan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I kindly suggest you need to elaborate your subject title and add
(for the owners of the Supremacy 2020)

this way others do not post comments and receive a unprofessional response by you accusing the member of hijacking the thread ??

if the subject is not exclusive, anyone has a right to post a comment and not get harsh reply from OP. Specify your target audience.
You have been a member here since 2002 which gives me automatic respect however your reaction to the fellow BGG member`s post is a shocker.

(Re: well...tell us) is open for everyone to post.

Edit-Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:
Can I kindly suggest you need to elaborate your subject title and add
(for the owners of the Supremacy 2020)

this way others do not post comments and receive a unprofessional response by you accusing the member of hijacking the thread ??

if the subject is not exclusive, anyone has a right to post a comment and not get harsh reply from OP. Specify your target audience.
You have been a member here since 2002 which gives me automatic respect however your reaction to the fellow BGG member`s post is a shocker.

(Re: well...tell us) is open for everyone to post.

Edit-Spelling

I just read my original post and followup again. While the title was nebulous the text clearly is asking for opinions from people who have the game. My followup came because I saw all the previous posts, flames and attacks and none of those answer my question.

If a person wants to rant, or respond to the title of the post instead of its content, fine by me. That will provide me no useful information and I will just ignore it. If no one provides useful feedback of the type I am seeking then I will just ignore the thread.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
if the subject is not exclusive, anyone has a right to post a comment and not get harsh reply from OP.

Really? Is that the way BGG really works? Anyone can post anything about anything as long as they are within BGG Admin vaguely defined constraints. That is the way it really works.

As far as high jacking the tread, he was 100% right. The trolls are attracted to this game like moths to a light.

Before publication of the new version, a group of people would bash this game without mercy. You would see some of those very same people listing the same game for ridiculous prices on eBay. Hmmm...

As for the ridiculous notion of the designer not receiving anything. How many games are like that? What was supposed to happen? I guess the Trolls just want this game to die. It's not gonna happen.

Sorry to high jack the thread, I just felt a little defense was necessary.

PS: Can't answer the question with 100% convection just yet as I am waiting on my copy to arrive. I do and have played the older version. I thought it was great which is why I paid the price tag on this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, take a look at the previous forum post here, Yes Viginia, there is a Game, and read Luke O'Hearn's post if you're interested in hearing about the components to the game. It looks like it has high production values, hence the higher price tag.

As for play of the game, probably too early to tell as its just now getting into the hands of backers.

Finally, regarding Rank Zero, I don't know if he was trolling or just thought it's info you would like to know and to some it might be relevant to what you were asking in regards to purchase. Personally, I don't know enough of what's going on in the background between companies and people to be able to make a comment one way or another.

What I can say, is from what I've seen and read they really went all out in the production of this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought about this and figured I'd give it a go on why I thought it was worth it, to pay $160.00 on Supremacy 2020.

I long time ago (1986) me, 2 girlfriends and a guy decided to play Supremacy.

I will tell you I in fact lost this particular game but what made it prominent after all these years to stay in my memory was this. I made the first nuclear weapons in that game.

Before I did, I was losing all over the world strategically. I was the US player. After I had 4 bombs, a new set of politics came to be. No one wanted to become my first victim. I soon had a choke hold over the world that only ended when I failed to stop the development of the bomb elsewhere. I was nuked out of the game.

To me, it recreated that cold war (we could be nuked at anytime) feeling like no other game.

Even though the victory conditions were not great, the game itself was.

Now it has improved with relevant situations to current events and it has a great new map and high quality components.

That is why I paid the price tag of a great game to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I passed on the KickStarter because, for me, this game had to be in the "wait and see" camp. So I'm very interested in hearing people's opinions as they play the new version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frida lavassani
Azerbaijan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to: Michael McFall
(michaelwmcfall)

Yes Really.

Just few days ago this member (Dnasearchr) posted the thread about the game has arrived with photo. so if OP did not wish anyone leave a message (hijacking his thread as he put it) he could have easily pm Dnasearchr and there would have been no risk of someone stealing his thread.

What are you thinking, you post a thread and you think now you have the ownership of the thread ??

If you took the time and just quickly viewed that member`s posts (Tzer) you could see he had no intention of trolling because there is no history of him posting such remarks in any games that he made remarks so get your facts together before you start typing with no connection of (tzer) and being a troll.

I personally appreciate the OP post this in public that way we all find out if the new owners can provide feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:
(michaelwmcfall)

Yes Really.

Just few days ago this member (Dnasearchr) posted the thread about the game has arrived with photo. so if OP did not wish anyone leave a message (hijacking his thread as he put it) he could have easily pm Dnasearchr and there would have been no risk of someone stealing his thread.

What are you thinking, you post a thread and you think you have the ownership of the thread ??

If you took the time and just quickly viewed that member`s posts you could see he had no intention of trolling because there is no history of him
posting such remarks, so get your facts together before you try to bring BGG Admin in to this.

For someone sporting a BGG NewUser badge it seems disingenuous to use your first few posts chastising people for forum protocol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
frida lavassani
Azerbaijan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take the time and read all the BGG Admin agreements and rules before I accept to enter the membership and it says use courtesy at all times when posting.

perhaps you need to read some of the rules of BGG Admin and follow that up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
Telling people how to post does not seem courteous. But like many things in life, it's subjective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom O'Neill
United States
Pacific
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the strangest thread I've ever read. So much off topic in so few posts. And a pissing match to boot.

Classic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Moon wrote:
(michaelwmcfall)

Yes Really.

What are you thinking, you post a thread and you think now you have the ownership of the thread ??

If you took the time and just quickly viewed that member`s posts (Tzer) you could see he had no intention of trolling because there is no history of him posting such remarks in any games that he made remarks so get your facts together before you start typing with no connection of (tzer) and being a troll.

I personally appreciate the OP post this in public that way we all find out if the new owners can provide feedback.

I figured that others would be interested in the information so I put this in the forum. However, as was indicated in another post, this thread has already been derailed. SIGH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albeit unlikely, someone could possibly you know, tell us?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the person who actually used my name in a post. Really?

That comment is directed at you because you are clueless.

Second, learn how to read genius. I did not say I was bringing BGG admins into this.

Lastly, you are communicating to an International community. You can't control comments here. Like I wrote before, anyone can write pretty much anything they want, just don't personally attack anyone (like you did), and don't be offensive (like you are being). Those are the real rules.

Here's an attack (cause I'm a gamer and I know this will get into your head and stay there). You play games with people with social skills like that?

Your a new user too. You'll be a troll to remember in about one year or so.

There you go...

The next post will be funny because all of us already knows you will be incapable of not posting something ridiculous.

To everyone else, sorry guys, I couldn't resist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So before this thread gets locked...how about we just drop the attempt to teach each other what to post?

and instead, just answer the question, "how does the new edition play"?

And if it's too soon to know (or this thread does get locked) then let's wait a bit and ask again later. Cause that really is what BGG is all about
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McFall
United States
Manhattan
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, ok I'll stop with the prompting. I didn't start it just for the record and I didn't call out names.

We are all here about the game, "right"? I'm not here to bash anyone (nor will I run away).

So BACK to the real topic, how does the game play? I can't answer right away and I think it's just too soon to give an informative answer.

Most of us only have the last game to go by. This new one is just hitting doorsteps, mine included.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be the thread we are looking for

My initial thoughts on the new edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Hearn
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
michaelwmcfall wrote:
The trolls are attracted to this game like moths to a light.

Supremacy is a very special game, and (until now) there has never been anything like it. While there have been several releases (and failed launches) of modern or near future based light war-games, none have preserved the unique, quirky, and sometimes downright odd elements that gave this game its identity.

Supremacy fans absolutely love Supremacy (people either love it or loath it) despite most of us begrudgingly admitting that the original game is essentially unplayable. This is true regardless of which configuration of rules and expansions one uses. But we still love it - that's how special Supremacy is!

Anything which is loved this fanatically will meet fierce impassioned resistance when monernised or changed. Just look at those new abominations passing themselves off as Star Trek movies! While most of us agreed that Supremacy needed fixing, few of us could ever agree on how it should be fixed! To those who oppose CPG's vision of Supremacy, the release of Supremacy 2020 is the final nail in the coffin for their beloved game. Hence the seemingly large number of haters who seem determined to turn everybody off this release.

Lucky for me CPG shared my dream for Supremacy - they've kept it (almost) as simple as the original unexpanded game, and they've somehow managed to address all the major flaws with minimal rules changes (maximally preserving the games feel and identity, IMO). Lucky me!

To answer the OPs question:

$160 is a significant amount of money to almost anyone. Asking what a board game is worth is a complicated question.

If you have a group of friends you game with who will like Supremacy, surely you will get enough hours of enjoyment from Supremacy 2020 to more than justify the cost. On the other hand, if there are cheaper games (or games you already own) that you would play instead, you have to compare the quality of your gaming experience, which is highly subjective.

I can say this - if FFG had produced Supremacy 2020, I would expect it to be about $100 with similar production values. Or if Avalon Hasbro had been the producers, maybe $60 with considerably lower production value (and far less play testing). But those companies never attempted to revise Supremacy! CPG did. While the price is on the high side, this is a small company and I highly doubt they are making much profit compared to the work they've done.

Personally I do not begrudge the high price. I value very much having a (playable) version of one of my all time favourites. I want the CPG team to make something for their efforts; and most importantly I want the company to thrive and make expansion sets!

As far as I can see you have three choices:

1 - Save your $160 and live without Supremacy 2020.

2 - Buy the print-n-play and produce your own components. For $30 you can probably have the map printed on corigated plastic poster board, but it won't fold. For $25 you can probably have the cards printed on flimsy stock, and you can buy clear sleaves for another $10 or $15. You can buy a pack of monopoly money, and maybe your city has a library with a public 3D printer for the pieces (or you can make them out of wood or fimo clay). I suspect the result is a lot of leg work and little or no savings for an inferior product. Maybe you can do better?

3 - Buy the finished product!

For me there was only one choice, and I don't regret in the least the $160 I spent nor the extras I also sprung for. You have to make your own choice, but if you have any more specific questions I will gladly relate my opinions and experiences.

Also check out my games collection for an idea of what my tastes are and what I consider to be worth money. The page isn't 100% up to date, but it will give you a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaldo Horta Jr
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...these last two postings have been very helpful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um...hi.

Pete (admits he just hit "reply" to see if the thread was locked, but is now going to set off to read all about this issue)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.