Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there,

I'm looking for a true micro game that easily fits into a pocket and that you don't need any table for - e.g. sitting on a train or plane or standing in queue.

Any dice games, games ith boards (even tiny ones) or the need to put down cards or tiles are obviuosly hardly what I'm looking for.

Still, I'd like to find games that offer some variety and a little bit of depth. Games that just deal with one mechanism (memory, bluffing etc.) are not what I'm interested in.

Richness in theme is a plus. (E.g. a pure trick taking game might not be the answer either.)

I guess, I ask for a lot - but that's why I ask and didn't find much myself so far.
I haven't played tooooo many games, so it might not tell too much, but my best guess so far is Love Letter.

Thanks!

PS: Fitting GeekLists or other threads are welcome as an asnwer as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bennett
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm stumped. A game where you don't put anything down but not simple? I was going to suggest Take-Back-Toe (you can draw the board on a scrap of paper and use pocket change for the pieces) but it doesn't fulfill all your criteria. Yup, I'm stumped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
You need to get one of those old travel Yahtzee sticks that will keep your dice in your hand. Then you can play any game that needs 5 standard dice and nothing else.

oddball Äeronauts might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answers.

About "not putting down anything"... If you can comfortably hold other items (drawing deck etc.) with your hands, that should be fine. Love Letter is definitely playable that way. (Apparently there a games developed on the Love Letter mechanism like BraveRats (if Love Letter was the first game to use this anyway).

And, in fact I own such a yahtzee dice thingy. It has worn a bit (doesn't work too well any more) - and can only be used with five standard (1-6) D6. So it's hardly a way to play KoT on a train... But yes, with the right game, it might be a solution.

Actually in the meantime I found this meta-geeklist - and I'm sure I'll find something there. So if you know a super recommendation to my request, I'm still interested. But if you think: "Dude, do your research yourself!" ... Don't worry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kara
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider an iOS game that has pass-and-play. For example, I've played Stone Age with 2 others pass-and-play and it worked well. Another good one is Carcassonne. There are many more great board game ports to iOS that might solve your problem of no table but still be great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
a...game that easily fits into a pocket and that you don't need any table for

oddball Äeronauts is your game. Just cards that you keep in your hand at all times. No dice, or other pieces, no table required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to say CoinAge but you need a flat surface to put it on... still a damn good game for travel, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harv Veerman
Netherlands
Zoetermeer
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Welcome to the Dungeon fits the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again.

Regarding Oddball Aeronauts... I remember watching this while it was on kickstarter. And I remember dropping my plans of backing it. Now that two of you recommend it I watched the Tom Vasel review again - and I guess he's right: it is (only) top trump x rock-paper-scissors.

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/50814/oddball-aeronauts/dice...

Or are he (he's mentioning that risk in his vid) and I missing something?
I came to figure BraveRats does the same what OA does, and is shorter and more interesting - because you have a chance to outguess your opponent.

What do you think?

Regarding iOS/Android apps... Of course they're a great solution to my request. SmallWorld!!! But of course here I'm seeking for something non-digital.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious: Travel Edition
Blokus Duo

are two that come to mind that fit your criteria. Only problem is, they're 2 player only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Wellington
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Games like Ace of Aces: Handy Rotary Series might work as all you need are the two books.

You can also play Coup and all of the Love Letter games without a table. Instead of playing cards on the table you hold them in your hand in a way that allows every one to see them. You would keep the deck in someones breast pocket and have them draw cards out for people. Finally you would leave all the tokens in the box and use your memory to keep track of things. Everyone has to be on the honor system and be slightly familiar with the game but it is very doable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a "standing in line" thread from awhile back. I think there was a competition. Any game with a single deck and hand of cards can be done with or without card holders. Someone just holds the deck. It would work for trick taking games. You just hold your tricks and hand of cards in one hand, between pinkie/ring and middle/fore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miles Wentland
United States
Wellington
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Roar
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it Hanabi would work too if one person takes care of the stacks of cards and you can somewhat face each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I considered Hanabi myself, but I think it's hard. There are soo many stacks. There are the different tokens (which are hard to avoid since you need to remember other stuff). And furthermore you often need your second hand to point out the other people's cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Tix
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArseFez wrote:
You can also play Coup and all of the Love Letter games without a table.

I'm completely with you here. Love Letter is the one game I played this way so far - which made me think there must be others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddball Äeronauts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah B
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
Penfold: Have you got something clever up your sleeve, DM? Dangermouse: Only my arm, Penfold, and that's no cleverer than the rest of me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Dragon Punch? It's 2 player, and the cards are held in your hand at all times.

There are print and play files halfway down the Kickstarter page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonia
France
Losne
Bourgogne
flag msg tools
badge
Good grief!
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu Dice - 1 die and spare scoring tokens
New World Colony - can be played on the go, as cards and board can be held with one hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Spock?

Exercises the brain. And it's free. No board needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How is it that nobody has yet suggested Pieces of Eight?

The game is a handful of very cool coins that represent your pirate crew, your hand is the ship, and you have a pirate ship battle using the special power of each coin:

Having a pocket to put coins into if they are used or killed is handy, but really the game is played in your hands, and any number can play if everyone has a set of coins.

Arrrrrrrrrr!!

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mine, All Mine! can be played without a table. You may want to check it out, but I think that it has clips (as opposed to tokens) to mark card values precisely for this reason. I haven't had a chance to play it. It's a space-themed game.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cypher might fit the bill . . . it's a somewhat more involved Love Letter experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cam P
Australia
Kew
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine the player count of these games is probably too high but you could easily play games like the resistance or werewolf without a table

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gambiteer wrote:

How is it that nobody has yet suggested Pieces of Eight?

The game is a handful of very cool coins that represent your pirate crew, your hand is the ship, and you have a pirate ship battle using the special power of each coin:

Having a pocket to put coins into if they are used or killed is handy, but really the game is played in your hands, and any number can play if everyone has a set of coins.

Arrrrrrrrrr!!

arrrh

Arrrgh! You just made me go and buy another game.

One look and I had to know more. My daughter is smitten with Seiji Kanai's R... can't get enough of it. Pieces of Eight looks like a micro deck builder in the same vein using coins. How fun this looks. Can't wait to play it with her!

I would never have purchased it had BGG not led me to a clearance sale on this item: 4 sets for $29 -- enough for 4 to play. Thought I'd share in case it was of interest to others:
http://atlas-games.com/in/po8clearance/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TimTix wrote:
I considered Hanabi myself, but I think it's hard. There are soo many stacks. There are the different tokens (which are hard to avoid since you need to remember other stuff). And furthermore you often need your second hand to point out the other people's cards.

If you were able to write stuff down then I think it could be done - Make a table with 1 column for each firework you are building and another for the discards. When you play a card write in the the firework column, when you discard a card write in in a discard column, regardless of whether you've played or discarded a card place in in the discard pile (shirt pocket, other hand of a player who isn't keeping the notes). I'm sure you could keep track of the time tokens with a notepad too.

Fireworks
R Y B W G
1 1 1

Discards
R Y B W G
1 1 2

Other games could work with a similar scheme - Lost Cities for example.

If you have 5+ people The Resistance could work - thumbs to vote, pass mission cards to the leader, notepad & pencil to keep track of mission results & number of proposals. The biggest difficulty might be everyone being able to see each other for the reveal (and potentially annoying other people if the game got loud).

I think there is a Decktet game designed for playing in line, but can't remember what it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.