Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Z
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just played the game for the first time last night and some questions arose. First, does a player's group leader have any effect except for determining the starting player in the first round? Second, I was the betrayer in the game. My original secret objective had "Morale is at 0" as its first clause. When I was exiled, I drew a new objective that said "The first goal on your secret objective is replaced by the following: 4 survivors you don't control have at least one wound". I suppose that this means that it's not necessary anymore for morale to be at 0, but in that case, when can I actually win? Do I win immediately when the 4th survivor gets a wound, assuming the other conditions of my original secret goal are met? Do I have to wait for the end of a round? Do I have to wait for the game to end in some other way (main objective completed, out of rounds, out of morale)?

Finally, I have a question that does not concern rules as such. One player had the secret objective of "have more survivors than any other player". However, he took the very first turn of the game, moved one of his survivors to another location, that survivor got bitten and died. He felt that at that point he was effectively out of the game because he only had two dice from then on and couldn't effectively search for more survivors, as his remaining survivor had a bad search stat. Is this a known problem? Did we do something wrong?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
vanday wrote:
I just played the game for the first time last night and some questions arose. First, does a player's group leader have any effect except for determining the starting player in the first round? Second, I was the betrayer in the game. My original secret objective had "Morale is at 0" as its first clause. When I was exiled, I drew a new objective that said "The first goal on your secret objective is replaced by the following: 4 survivors you don't control have at least one wound". I suppose that this means that it's not necessary anymore for morale to be at 0, but in that case, when can I actually win? Do I win immediately when the 4th survivor gets a wound, assuming the other conditions of my original secret goal are met? Do I have to wait for the end of a round? Do I have to wait for the game to end in some other way (main objective completed, out of rounds, out of morale)?

Finally, I have a question that does not concern rules as such. One player had the secret objective of "have more survivors than any other player". However, he took the very first turn of the game, moved one of his survivors to another location, that survivor got bitten and died. He felt that at that point he was effectively out of the game because he only had two dice from then on and couldn't effectively search for more survivors, as his remaining survivor had a bad search stat. Is this a known problem? Did we do something wrong?


To the last question: he was definitely in for a difficult struggle, but he caused that to happen by not protecting his survivor better. If I need survivors to win, I don't want to be moving them without using fuel. I can request fuel from others on my turn. If I lose a survivor, it will definitely be harder to complete my goal, but it's not impossible. I can also request outsider cards from other players and play them to add survivors to my group. That is one of the advantages of that particular secret objective. If my objective requires things "in hand" then I can't ask for cards from others, as requested cards must be played immediately.

Group leader is rarely part of a crossroads card. I don't think there are other times that it's important.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
First question about Leaders has been discussed to death on the forum. The short version: In the original playtest they had elaborate rules related to the Leader, but took most of them out.
In the existing game, your Leader is only used:
* to determine the very first player
* to be distinguished from your "Following" (which is "everyone except the Leader", which matters for a couple of Objectives)
* Possibly some Crossroads Card effects.
..but not much. Speculation is that the expansion will re-introduce some more Leader rules.

Second question: If you're Exiled and you get a new objective that replaces "Morale=0" or "Main Objective is Completed", then you win if:
* You complete your objectives
and
* The game is over for any reason (Morale = 0 or Main Objective is completed).
You just have to sit and wait for the game to be over after you've completed your objective, basically.

Third question: Well.. he had some bad luck, but he could have tried to use the "Request" action to ask other players for more survivors (without revealing his objective; just claim to need them to help for the Main Objective), or he could have attempted to search anyway.
But it's certanly true that some Objectives are more difficult to achieve than others...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Mäkäräinen
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Second question: If you're Exiled and you get a new objective that replaces "Morale=0" or "Main Objective is Completed", then you win if:
* You complete your objectives
and
* The game is over for any reason (Morale = 0 or Main Objective is completed).


... or Round Tracker reaches 0.
And you have to have the objective completed at that time. It may well be you fulfill the other requirements well before the game ends, but as the secret objectives do not come into play until the game is over, you may end up losing because other players heal their characters or the wounded characters die (in case of the "three characters are wounded" objective) by that time.

- Kez.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have an interesting choice as an exiled player in that situation. You are going to start trying to ensure that the other players' survivors have wounds, which is not going to make them happy. If you can manage to do it, and complete the other goals on your card, you're going to want to try to end the game as soon as you can. If Morale is low, try to bring it down to 0. If the Main objective is close to being finished, help the Colonists complete it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played in games where someone loses one of their survivors very early on. Usually what happens is that other players will give them extra survivors that they find.

It's true that the other players don't have any kind of obligation to help him out, but it really hurts the colony and the main objective to have a player that can't help out much. So, they do it in order to ensure that the main objective has the highest chance of being completed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary L
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
I've played in games where someone loses one of their survivors very early on. Usually what happens is that other players will give them extra survivors that they find.

It's true that the other players don't have any kind of obligation to help him out, but it really hurts the colony and the main objective to have a player that can't help out much. So, they do it in order to ensure that the main objective has the highest chance of being completed.


It also works in the betrayer's favour to help out another player who loses a survivor early.. Gets them in the good books..
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.