BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What CCG to start a collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean-Pierre Legris
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

I would like to start collecting CCG's. Not actually play with them but collect them just as a hobby. Which CCG's should I start collecting that are actually worth collecting? Any suggestions?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zaffryn wrote:
Hi,

I would like to start collecting CCG's. Not actually play with them but collect them just as a hobby. Which CCG's should I start collecting that are actually worth collecting? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Hmmmm. That is like asking what color you should like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an investment go with Magic. But, ideally...
DON'T DO IT! CCG's are a trap. Both as a collector and a player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackthorne1978 wrote:
If you want an investment go with Magic.

If you actually want an investment, don't buy cardboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre Legris
Canada
flag msg tools
It's actually just to collect as a hobby
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
England
Hull
East Riding of Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
But we have to change the rules because Monopoly's so boring!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I played MTG for about a dozen years and have to say until I suffered burn out with it, I loved it.

However the powercreep and OP expansions, ruined it for me in the end and I discovered other games.

Last week, we played some magic and I was using a deck or 2 against a new deck from the current incarnation and lost 3 games in 3 turns, which makes it absolutely pointless to play.

Just made me realise my decision to move onto board games was the right one.

I've also bought into the LCG LOTR, Call of Cthulhu, Netrunner, (sold Netrunner not my game at all) but tbh these games are money pits and IMO you really are better off spending your money on stand alone board games.

If you really insist on buying a CCG just to collect I'd probably stick with the granddaddy MTG. Probably more of a market when you come to sell.

If you want to maybe get a cheap one, to collect and play, then the old Decipher LOTR can be picked up cheap and I think is a pretty good game.

I wish Call of Cthulhu CCG had used the twilight pool mechanic of alternating playing good guys and bad guys btw but that's another story

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
The one you like to look at? What's your favorite movie? Book? Sport?

But, aside from magic (or yu-gi-oh/pokemon if you're still in grade school) there's not going to be much a trading community for anything.

so "collecting" is just you going on ebay and seeing how much of your paycheck you want to spend.

I'd suggest some other kind of collectible that doesn't devote 3/4 of it's space to something you have no interest in (I.e rules, and a uniform card back.)

edit: Star wars. I'll sell you a huge collection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Pierre Legris
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you for all your answers. I'm a long way from grade school as I'm 32 years old lol. As for going to stand alone Boardgames I already have a few:
- Seasons
- Wazabi
- Knights Of the round Table
- Le nouvel empereur( Actually a french card game where I feature on 3 of the cards)
- Small World
- Pandemic
- Mage Knight
- Game of thrones TCG
- Civilization
- Ticket to ride
- Mice Mystics
- Alchemist
- Ghost Stories
- Trains
- Takenoko
- Dominion
- King of tokyo
- Settlers of Catan
- Carcassone
- Stone age
- The Boss
and a few others I can't find right now. That's why I wan't to start collecting something else lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I collect boardgames, lcgs, magic, miniature dwarfs and legos.

My suggestion is start painting miniatures. Dollars per hour it can suck you in and be pretty cheap.

My other suggestion is try a fantasy flight lcg and see which one you like, then collect those. They are fun to look at even if you don't play much (like me!)

feel free to come visit me for inspiration

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
I absolutely can't get into your mindset. If you don't already like a few CCG's, why would you start collecting them? You understand that "collecting CCG's" might be very similar to "buying a bunch of junk," right? If you're not collecting as an investment, then obviously buy the one you like from a standpoint of design, art, or theme, or for whatever reason, but since you're asking which to collect, clearly you don't already have an obvious favorite or you wouldn't be asking.

So if you don't already have some favorites, again, why are you considering collecting them? If you don't care about the art, or about playing them, or about investment opportunities, or theme, then I can't see how it would matter which one you start collecting.

The urge to collect things is very human, but it's an urge you can never satisfy. Here's my advice: have the urge to collect CCG's, but never actually do it. It will leave you with the same empty feeling of never being able to complete your collection, or the need to start collecting something else the moment you complete one collection, but it won't cost you a bunch of money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Frodge
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer depends on why you want to collect them. Do you eventually want to sell them to make money? Do you just want cool pictures?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Magic has the most active secondary market of any CCGs. Lots of web sites out there with pricing histories of the various cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Collectors collect for the sake of collecting. How come people want him to do something else? It's his money and his life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Lucas
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
badge
It's a perfect day for some mayhem!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad I'm out of it and I'm loathe to say it, but if you're collecting for the sake of collecting then go for Magic. There's a huge market for it and it's a pretty safe bet that they'll be releasing new sets for it long after you have lost interest in it, meaning other games are around for a while and then disappear. At that point you've got a nifty collection that few around you will have interest in. Or on a similar vein and for the same reason collect sports cards instead. Sports cards are better for "breaking even" when you're collecting if you can invest enough money to finish sets while a set is popular.

On a similar note I would stay far away from any of the online card collecting games. You don't really 'own' anything tangible if you go into those games and once the game is no longer being supported you have lost everything you've put into it.

Probably the best way to get the feel of it all without paying a lot of money might be to hold off until Millennium Blades is released sometime next year. Your wallet will thank you later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rastislav Bodi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
The 7 Stages of a Board Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Legend of Five Rings. Cards look great, doesn't need that much money as MtG does (at least from my point of view) and has a story going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aly Cupcakes
msg tools
dlonk wrote:

Collectors collect for the sake of collecting. How come people want him to do something else? It's his money and his life.

Probably because we are having trouble understanding the reasoning. We are looking for the end goal of the OP.

Collectors typically have a great interest in the item they collect. So for the OP to ask "which ccg", makes a lot of us trying to gauge the reason for collecting.

resale? artwork? to display? to make friends jealous?

I'd recommend Magic or WoW tcg.

Also collecting for the sake of collecting, I think miniatures and/or Manga work great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaffryn wrote:
Which CCG's should I start collecting that are actually worth collecting?

What do you consider the things that make a CCG worth collecting for you?

Personally, my own enjoyment is the most important thing for me. So I'll buy into LCGs, but only if I get to play them regularly (or if I get to play them irregularly, but love the crap out of them like Warhammer 40k: Conquest). I don't buy Magic cards anymore because the few times I get to play it every year doesn't offset the high price of investment, and I have no interest in buying enough cards to make playing the secondary market worthwhile (selling things bores me).

As others have said, if you want to collect based on later monetary value, then MtG is the only game in town where you're even remotely likely to come out ahead. If you value aesthetics or something else, then you need to share with us what those criteria are or we have no hope of helping you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vander Dlonk
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alyscupcakes wrote:
dlonk wrote:

Probably because we are having trouble understanding the reasoning. We are looking for the end goal of the OP.

Some collectors have no end goal other than satisfaction in the process of collecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankJean:-:Pierre

CCGs have increasingly been replaced by LCGs - which is good for players but not for collectors.

Really this comes down to your personal taste and availability in your area.

Magic is traditionally where the money is.

Here's all the CCGs sorted by rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Van Ostrand

Connecticut
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I totally understand the thrill of collecting. I agree though, if the point of collecting is to actually acquire something that had long term demand, it's basically only MtG.

No other CCG carries the history, success, and fan base to support actual collectible value.

If you just have the personal desire to own complete sets of things, then I suppose any CCG will do - most full sets of other non-MtG CCGs won't cost that much. Defunct ones are actually dirt cheap.

And personally, I think the best "investment" is to go after older MtG cards. They have an inherent rarity based on age and lower print runs. Newer high-demand cards carry value too, but seem to fluctuate a lot, so it's more like a small-stocks game of buying and selling. If you just want to go own cool stuff, go lock up some cards from Legends or Unlimited, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Not technically a CCG and it's a little cheaper than CCGs but take a look at Dicemasters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roo2 wrote:
Newer high-demand cards carry value too, but seem to fluctuate a lot, so it's more like a small-stocks game of buying and selling.

Yeah, most of the newer cards are pretty much only valuable, while they are needed for tournaments. Once that is gone (i.e. set cycled out of Type II), prices drop immediately.

Quote:
If you just want to go own cool stuff, go lock up some cards from Legends or Unlimited, etc.

And be prepared to need a couple thousand dollars, too.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Go with Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game. It's a board game, war game and card game all rolled into one. Plus the minis look good on a shelf...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Quote:
If you just want to go own cool stuff, go lock up some cards from Legends or Unlimited, etc.

And be prepared to need a couple thousand dollars, too.

Well, the beauty of it is that he doesn't care about tournament viability. He doesn't need to 'collect' Unlimited "Black Lotus" ($7500) and Legends "Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale" ($750); there were just as many copies of Unlimited "Living Artifact" and Legends "Psionic Entity" to roll off the production line, and those can each be had for under two dollars.

Now, if he insists that the cards he wants to collect are those in highest demand when demand only exists for play value and he has no interest in play value, and he's not trying to invest for resale... that's just a plain ol aversion to money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bahz mukslinger
Canada
flag msg tools
MTG will have the most value, in the long term, of any other game I can think of. It's better to not open anything. You could simply buy boxes of magic, don't open anything and see a rate of return equal to some nice investments, longer you sit on them the better. Some sets will return more than others.

If you aren't looking for a rate of return, buy what ever suits your fancy, open them and enjoy! There's a lot of nice art in ccgs. Display them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.