19 Posts

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » General

Subject: Summoning sickness and mana rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Felix Munoz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious if the board game follows the concepts of the card game... Is there summoning sickness? Is there a concept of mana in the game? Etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes they have summoning sickness, as I seen one unit with Haste.

There isn't however, any mana system. But other keywords are there. Lifelink, Deathtouch, trample, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There isn't summoning sickness per se. To summon you have to select your Planeswalkers as the unit you would like to move and attack with on that turn. As part of that turn you may summon Squads/Heroes. Because of this you can't move or attack with the summoned units because, well, its not their turn. The haste ability just let's you attack right after the unit is summoned. Essentially its letting a unit(s) attack on another unit's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CriesJuggernaut wrote:
There isn't summoning sickness per se. To summon you have to select your Planeswalkers as the unit you would like to move and attack with on that turn. As part of that turn you may summon Squads/Heroes. Because of this you can't move or attack with the summoned units because, well, its not their turn. The haste ability just let's you attack right after the unitnis summoned. Essentially its letting a unit(s) attack on another unit's turn.

How is that not summoning sickness?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:

How is that not summoning sickness?

It's not. There aren't any rules that say a squad or hero can't move and attack on the turn it was summoned. But there are rules that a squad or hero can't move and attack on another squad/hero/planeswalker's turn. But those rules are true for every turn, regardless of when a squad/hero was summoned. You wouldn't say my Elementals have summoning sickness just because it's my Elven Archers' turn. So this game literally does not have summoning sickness.

But really that's all semantics. The fact of the matter is that you won't be moving/attacking with squads/heroes you've just summoned outside of using abilities like Haste or Sorcery/Enchantment cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff C
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The pen is mightier than a really small, blunt, and foam covered sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, that pretty much defines summoning sickness. You're just parsing out your monsters turns individually instead of looking at them as a whole like you would in the card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
But presumably they don't call it that? I've not played MTG, is that a term in the game that keeps you from attacking with stuff you just summoned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Again, I already admit that we're arguing semantics here. I was just attempting to answer the question as thoroughly as possible. One of the questions was: is there summoning sickness in the game? The answer is that no, there is no game mechanic or rule in this game called 'summoning sickness' however the 'summoning' mechanic and 'turn order' mechanic, when combined, act effectively like the board game's version of 'summoning sickness'.

The difference to me is how I would describe Magic the Gathering the card game to someone:
Player A: How do I summon a creature?
Player B: You cast a creature card from your hand for the mana cost shown. You put it on the field where it now becomes a permanent. Summoned creatures suffer from summoning sickness.
A: What's summoning sickness?
B: A creature with summoning sickness can't attack or use any abilities that require it to become tapped.

A Similar conversation for Arena of the Planeswalkers would go:
Player A: How do I summon a creature?
Player B: On your Planeswalker's turn, before moving, you may summon up to two squads and heroes from your reserve. You then place all summoned figures on an empty board space within 5 clear sight spaces from your summoner.
A: What's summoning sickness?
B: Creatures can't move and attack on another unit's turn.
A: That's turn order. What is summoning sickness?
B: You can only summon on a Planeswalker's turn.
A: I know how to summon. What is summoning sickness?
B: Uh....

To reiterate, there is no game mechanic called summoning sickness in this game. Probably because summoning sickness is not needed for this game due to the mechanics already in place and the that there are no tap abilities on any of the creatures. If you would like to say that summoning sickness is in this game then by all means go for it. Just hope they don't ask for a page number.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am disappointed that Mana is not in this game. That is one of the biggest concepts of Magic the Gathering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
I've not played MTG

...and that's why they don't use the term "summoning sickness" in the game. Many customers will pick up the game for the name alone, without knowing terms associated with the card game.

I wouldn't be surprised if, at one point in game development, that they had a mana system (and, who knows, they may add one in a later expansion). But, like any base set, to reach the most players, it's better to have the most gameplay you can provide for the least set of rules, than to copy a rules system that may work better in one format than another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanja Grujic
Serbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is technically no game mechanic in MTG that is called 'Summoning Sickness' neither.

Summoning Sickness is an informal term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Grujah wrote:
There is technically no game mechanic in MTG that is called 'Summoning Sickness' neither.

True true. Fair enough. But the informal term is used to describe an actual game mechanic. A game mechanic that doesn't exist in Arena of the Planeswalkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Smith
United States
Andover
Kansas
flag msg tools
GET OVER HERE!
badge
Who the @#&% was that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Grujah wrote:

While it IS technically true in the current rule set, "This creature is unaffected by summoning sickness" appeared on many cards up through Urza's block. Just because they changed the terminology at some point doesn't negate its existence. But I get what you are saying, and it is an informal term now however it really was a game mechanic in the past.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
which they changed to haste. haste exists in magic board game. thus...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh "bury" how I miss that term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Stokes
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Oreot wrote:
Grujah wrote:

While it IS technically true in the current rule set, "This creature is unaffected by summoning sickness" appeared on many cards up through Urza's block. Just because they changed the terminology at some point doesn't negate its existence. But I get what you are saying, and it is an informal term now however it really was a game mechanic in the past.

Well it still is a game mechanic it's just not officially called "summoning sickness" anymore. But I think that's what you meant.

See cards like Ball Lightning are what have me excited for this game. With the long history of Magic just think of all the cool creatures and sorcery spells that could be brought over to this game. Exciting!

SeerMagic wrote:
which they changed to haste. haste exists in magic board game. thus...

Thus...? Thus what? This game isn't the same game as Magic the Gathering. It shares a name and mechanics and keywords and lore and flavor and all sorts of things with Magic the Gathering but it is not the same game. Just because Haste behaves one way in the card game doesn't mean it behaves in the same way in the board game. And its existence in both definitely doesn't dictate the rules of the board game.

If we follow that logic then Life must be in this game. I didn't see it in the rules. I don't know how much Life each player starts with or what happens when my Life total reaches 0 or anything. But it has to be in the board game cause Trample in the card game can make a player lose Life. Right? And Trample exists in the board game. Thus...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I used to. Then I remembered that I completely misunderstood the word when I first started playing the game because they didn't explain what it meant*, and then realized that destroy-without-regeneration was a grossly overused effect that made regeneration irrelevant instead of interesting. These days, with exile being so much easier to say than remove-from-the-game, it's become more common and fills the role that destroy-without-regeneration used to, but in a flavorfully differentiated way to make sure it's not overused.

*See this card? Doesn't it look like it's applying some condition called "buried" to the creature that prevents the creature from targeting black or artifact creatures? Who would ever want to do that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CriesJuggernaut wrote:
Thus...? Thus what? This game isn't the same game as Magic the Gathering. It shares a name and mechanics and keywords and lore and flavor and all sorts of things with Magic the Gathering but it is not the same game. Just because Haste behaves one way in the card game doesn't mean it behaves in the same way in the board game. And its existence in both definitely doesn't dictate the rules of the board game.

but in this case it does. Creatures have summoning sickness, simple as that. Haste lets them attack same turn they are summoned, simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Santiago wrote:
MajaiofDreams wrote:

I used to. Then I remembered that I completely misunderstood the word when I first started playing the game because they didn't explain what it meant*, and then realized that destroy-without-regeneration was a grossly overused effect that made regeneration irrelevant instead of interesting. These days, with exile being so much easier to say than remove-from-the-game, it's become more common and fills the role that destroy-without-regeneration used to, but in a flavorfully differentiated way to make sure it's not overused.

*See this card? Doesn't it look like it's applying some condition called "buried" to the creature that prevents the creature from targeting black or artifact creatures? Who would ever want to do that?

My players never had a problem with bury. It was right in the instruction book. Bury means you can destroy a creature without it being able to be regenerated. End of story.
We heard a lot of stories of how many people thought bury meant what is now called exile.

But like I said, my group never ran into that issue. So I was annoyed that they changed it to the longer more tedious wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.