Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting at least one of the games below, and I am wondering which ones are easiest to teach, have high replay value and of course just personal experiences with these games.

•Legendary Encounters

•Room 25

•Level 7 [Omega Protocol]

•XenoShyft Onslaught

•Roll For The Galaxy

•XCOM: The Board Game

•Among the Stars

Or if you have something similar in mid that you liked better, let me know your suggestions.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Room 25 is by far the easiest to teach, but also the lightest one. (The suspicion mode for 4-6 players is the best.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xenoshift is brilliant, great pre planning before you see what wave of aliens attack you this turn and easy to teach considering..........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lent
United States
Novato
California
flag msg tools
badge
DEFINITELY A GOOD GUY, GUYS
mbmbmbmbmb
7 Wonders, because who *really* built the pyramids? The answer is Reptilians and their hypercube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Roll for the Galaxy and Among the Stars (Legendary Encounters I played once, but it was just "okay"). AtS is the easier of the two to learn, but I wouldn't say either have a ton of replay value, at least in the base sets.

Have you played Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game? I find that game has a fairly easy learning curve with a ton of replay value.

Along with that, I have a great time with Core Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Have you played Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game? I find that game has a fairly easy learning curve with a ton of replay value.

Along with that, I have a great time with Core Worlds.

BSG: 79 plays since the beginning of 2013
Core Worlds: 77 plays since the beginning of 2013 (although some solo)

Yeah, there is replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary Encounters is not hard to teach and play at all, it's just the setup for the game that takes time but that's typical of a lot of games. I'd say XenoShyft Onslaught is about the same really.

Level 7 Omega Protocol is fun but has a good deal of rules to work with for both players and the GM running it so would take longer than average to teach and learn.

Roll For The Galaxy is not hard to teach or learn and is probably easier than Race for the Galaxy but can be very luck dependent.

XCOM: The Board Game is great and the app does a lot of the work for you, it's easy to teach and learn because of that but does really require 4 players to be at it's best.

Among the Stars is the best drafting game IMO. Makes 7 Wonders look like watching grass grow. It is very easy to teach but the biggest hurdle for players is understanding the difference between end game scoring cards and ones that score immediately.

I've not played Room 25 so I can't comment. I think everything has replay value.

There is also the craziness of Galaxy Trucker, the intensity of Space Alert, the combative Galaxy Defenders or the vast Xia: Legends of a Drift System

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
From your list, i'd personally go with Legendary Encounters. Awesome game that's especially fun with a traitor element put in, if you want to play with that.

Outside your list, i'd go with Fleet Commander: 1 – Ignition. It's a fleet VS fleet tactical game, but it works opposite to almost every game of this type. First it's non-collectible. Second, in most games, movement and firing arcs are pre-determined and combat results are randomized with dices. In this game, combat results are known, but movement possibilities are semi-randomized.

You decide which dices to throw before each round, there are dices for guns, shields and engines. Then you allocate your dices to ships and depending on the results you got, it will dictate where your ships can move, where they can fire and where the shield can defend. Some dices you can save to charge up your flagship's unique gun.

Great game that doesn't require any expansions out of the box. The game is language independant and the rulebook is on the publisher's website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Bird
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I would love BSG, however we never have a group large enough to play it. I have Dead Of Winter, and I may end up getting Dark Moon as well, I just want to see what everyone thinks of it after it comes out first.

robbdaman wrote:

There is also the craziness of Galaxy Trucker, the intensity of Space Alert, the combative Galaxy Defenders or the vast Xia: Legends of a Drift System

I have Galaxy Trucker already, and I enjoy it quite a bit, they really need more games like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tygerzroze wrote:
I would love BSG, however we never have a group large enough to play it.

3 or 4? With the Daybreak expansion we have played a lot of 4-player games, two of us love to play a Cylon Leader now that the Motives make it really good, fairly balanced and otherwise interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Relph
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Among the Stars is one of my favorites right now. It is especially good with the Ambassadors expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
tygerzroze wrote:
I would love BSG, however we never have a group large enough to play it.

3 or 4? With the Daybreak expansion we have played a lot of 4-player games, two of us love to play a Cylon Leader now that the Motives make it really good, fairly balanced and otherwise interesting.

I personally don't feel BSG is a game I want to play more than perhaps once a month if that. It can just drag far too long sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Well, our BSG games with all expansions to Kobol take 2-2.5 hours, very seldom 3 hours. But we have the required routine to minimize upkeep tasks with 100+ plays under our belts, not that everyone of us use uses belts, but I digress and this turns out to be quite a long run-amok sentence by now, so I better stop here and let the discussion return to its normal course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.