Versailles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Adjacency Rule rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Sanders
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When placing tiles does the adjacency rule also apply diagonally? I think the rules are unclear on this point. Without it, it means you often end up with a palace that can never be "fully built" and thus trigger that end game scenario. It would mean some of the higher value tiles (like walls crossing) are harder to fit later on in the game - but I think I prefer that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have been clearer if the rules stated that adjacency applies to the corners of the tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gmilitaru wrote:
It would have been clearer if the rules stated that adjacency applies to the corners of the tiles.

Can we get an official ruling on this? It makes sense to me to have a diagonal rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bitchy Little Boy
Romania
Bucharest
Sector 3
flag msg tools
... so I can bear with you, please!
badge
Phil Eklund's games are like a bar of gold from a complete stranger.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only "translated" the official text:

Rules wrote:
Any exterior or interior parts of the tile must match any adjacent tiles and the sides of the Construction Yard.

Each side of a tile has two halves which can be the same colour or different colours. They must "match" the adjacent halves of their neighbouring tiles or site "sides". There is no official diagonal requirement.

However, if a half-side of a tile corner is green, the other half-side of that corner must also be green (and the same is true for gray). The colours of the sides of the laterally-neighbouring tiles/site must match. Therefore they must have the same colour. Then, obviously, the half-sides of the fourth, "diagonal", corner must have the same colour. Consequently, the requirement of the rules can be rephrased as:

gmilitaru wrote:
The corners of the tiles must have the same colour as the corners of the neighbouring tiles or edges of the construction site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to assume this is the case. If you aren't forced to match corners, you'll easily end up at a point where no additional tiles can be placed, even though there are many empty spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trying to express this in terms of edges is needlessly complex.

Each tile has four quadrants. When placing a tile, the color of each quadrant must be the same as the color of the quadrants which are orthagonal (two) and diagonal (one) to it. An empty cell has no color. The four corner cells are considered filled by the printed graphic.

Note that the perimeter boundary has the start of a horizontal wall in the center of the left & right vertical boundary lines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.