Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

War of the Ring (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 2nd Edition vs 1st Edition Components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wes Atchison
Canada
flag msg tools
For those that own both editions, is there a substantial difference between the shape/weight/feel of the hunt tiles?

I own the first edition and realized I am missing a hunt tile. I've contacted Ares Games (producer of the second edition) and they will replace it, but I'm wondering if I should ask them for a full hunt tile set instead of just the specific tile I'm missing.

Anyone able to confirm whether the hunt tiles from each edition are similar?

Any help would be appreciated!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some dude
Netherlands
Groningen
There dismay took them, for at the gate was a guard of whom no tidings had yet gone forth.
flag msg tools
Swiftly the wolf grew, until he could creep into no den, but lay huge and hungry before the feet of Morgoth. There the fire and anguish of hell entered into him, and he became filled with a devouring spirit, tormented, terrible, and strong.
badge
Then swiftly all his inwards were filled with a flame of anguish, and the Silmaril seared his accursed flesh. Howling he led before them, and the walls of the valley of the Gate echoes with the clamour of his torment.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned both editions for a time. (I sold the 1st edition a while ago) I never noticed any difference in weight, color, size or otherwise.
The Hunt tiles are exactly the same. So are the other ones for that matter, except:

- The active player tokens were of the smaller size in the 1st edition but of the bigger size in the 2nd.

Then there are tokens that are present in one edition, but absent from the other:
- 1st edition had a bunch of army replacement tokens. This entire mechanism has been replaced by 6 numbered army tokens and the army boxes on the board.

- The 2nd edition has 2 victory point markers that the 1st didn't have.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This fellow BGG'er may be able to help you out:

I am giving away replacement 1st Edition components
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Atchison
Canada
flag msg tools
Anfauglir wrote:
I have owned both editions for a time. (I sold the 1st edition a while ago) I never noticed any difference in weight, color, size or otherwise.
The Hunt tiles are exactly the same. So are the other ones for that matter, except:

- The active player tokens were of the smaller size in the 1st edition but of the bigger size in the 2nd.

Then there are tokens that are present in one edition, but absent from the other:
- 1st edition had a bunch of army replacement tokens. This entire mechanism has been replaced by 6 numbered army tokens and the army boxes on the board.

- The 2nd edition has 2 victory point markers that the 1st didn't have.


Awesome, thanks so much for the detailed response! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Sheep wrote:
This fellow BGG'er may be able to help you out:

I am giving away replacement 1st Edition components


That seems promising, I'll post in that thread. Many thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
On that note, what is the best way to use the 1st Edition army replacement tokens? It seems cumbersome to remember to throw the unit into the casualty every time you replace the unit with a token, including during set up...but maybe that is the best way to do it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Atchison
Canada
flag msg tools
Pohrawg wrote:
On that note, what is the best way to use the 1st Edition army replacement tokens? It seems cumbersome to remember to throw the unit into the casualty every time you replace the unit with a token, including during set up...but maybe that is the best way to do it.


Yeah, they're supposed to be used exactly how you described. The second edition seems like it has a neat alternative though (having army boxes and corresponding tokens).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pohrawg wrote:
On that note, what is the best way to use the 1st Edition army replacement tokens? It seems cumbersome to remember to throw the unit into the casualty every time you replace the unit with a token, including during set up...but maybe that is the best way to do it.

I have the first edition and use the army replacement tokens to show the position and control of the small settlements on the board where you can recruit but which are worth no vp. Otherwise it is hard to notice where they are. Works fine.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.