Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The green (Wild) gold event that does 9 damage to each champion, when used on your own Cave Troll (and others). Does the Recall on CT trigger because it is moved to the discard pile at the end of that action and then you check for triggered abilities at the next chance to play which is right then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought that the recall ability is when the triggering effect happens while it is in the discard pile. I would figure that it would not trigger in this case as the troll would not be is the discard pile when the card is actually played (before damage is done).

I don't have the cards in front of me, so I'm working off memory though. Might have gotten something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it's using a MTG-like timing system, then no.

The way I understand it, the 'window' for the Recall ability is right after the spell is played. You play Hurricane, check for Triggered abilities (like Recall), then apply damage, then resolve lethal damage by moving broken creatures to the graveyard.

Since the Cave Troll is not in the graveyard when you play Hurricane, it will not come back as Recall cannot trigger. You'll have to wait until the next turn to play a 1 cost Wild Event to trigger the Cave Troll's Recall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Dougherty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Born-of-Ashes wrote:
The green (Wild) gold event that does 9 damage to each champion, when used on your own Cave Troll (and others). Does the Recall on CT trigger because it is moved to the discard pile at the end of that action and then you check for triggered abilities at the next chance to play which is right then?

No. While you have to wait to deal with the trigger, an ally ability triggers when you play the card, and at that time the troll was still in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob_of_YMG wrote:
Born-of-Ashes wrote:

No. While you have to wait to deal with the trigger, an ally ability triggers when you play the card, and at that time the troll was still in play.

You are probably right but rules as are written currently seem to support other interpretation.

There are 3 parts of the rules puzzle in v1 manual:
1. Triggered abilities rules
2. Ally trigger rules
3. Reaclal rules
Quote:

Triggered abilities
Triggered abilities are produced when a condition
is met. Triggered abilities will always have an
arrow icon ( ). The condition that triggers the
ability is to the left of the arrow, and what the
ability does is to the right. For example:
When this card is broken Draw a card.
When a triggered ability’s condition is met, the
effect will happen the next time any player would
be allowed to play cards. All triggered abilities
must be dealt with before any additional cards can
be played.

Ally Abilities
These abilities trigger when you play a 1 card of
the listed alignment. (Free cards do not trigger ally
abilities.)

And Cave Troll ability "(Wild) - > Recall".

So according to manual all pieces of the puzzle fit.
Ability condition IS MET, when card Hurricane is played. Effect will happen when Hurricane effect end And Cave Troll then IS in the discard pile, so it should return to hand.
So what isn't right?

Simple: manual V1 is missing sentence like this (Or I didn't find it)

" Abilities with gray background are active when and only when card is in a discard pile"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.