Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocky Borg
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never painted any models before. Do people have suggestions for the most basic painting of models so they look good? I don't need to go crazy with the details. I was thinking like a base color and a wash to add some depth? That seems pretty foolproof, I don't want them to look worse after painting.

Suggestions for colors for each faction? Citadel paints seems to have a ton of various colors, I didn't see just an ork green. I assume the shade color should be darker than the base paint color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I dont' think you can do anything wrong with base color plus shade. I recommend army painter color primers and washes. The color primers are pricey, but get the job done super fast. They have kinds of colors and it should be easy to find the matching colors for Forbidden Stars. I usually pick the colors a tone brighter that what it should be in the end, because the base color gets a lot darker after washing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scanning the Citadel base paints, here's my shot at some good base paints, what do you guys think?

For Chaos, Khorne red:

For Orcs, Waaaaagh! Green:

For Imperium, Kantor Blue:

I couldn't find anything good for the Eldar in terms of base paints.

And that Imperium looks a little too dark for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Eldar,

This fellow is painted using the Averland Sunset base, which is a little too orange for my taste, but the palette gets lightened up after applying lighter shades and layers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing, problem is that I'm afraid I won't be able to just keep it as simple as base color + wash and will start digging into details... Imperial Assault completely killed me near the end because of the minute details that had to be painted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
John Coltrane: My Favorite Things // Jackie Mclean: Swing Swang Swingin' // Clifford Jordan: Cliff Craft // Sam Rivers: Fuchsia Swing Song
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't help myself...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Must ... resist ... painting ... minis... argh!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looks great! looks like a quick job too, just two colors. what blue did you end up settling on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Games workshop paints

White primer (so as to keep the base colors light) - Caledor sky base color - drakenhof nightshade to bring out the details - some gold color to accessorize and then a matte varnish to top it of.

All in all about 2 hrs work for 1 faction so nothing too time consuming, it looks and feels better than the unpainted versions (they have a sense of weight to them now). I was thinking of going into detail more but These little changes already made them pop so I don't think it's really necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Goodman
Canada
flag msg tools
Are the models made from rigid or flexible plastic? Not having the game yet, my understanding was that they are made from the flexible plastic than can be reset by boiling water. If that's the case, will painting these models result in potential for paint to chip/flake off?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they can be bent but that's why you need to use a good primer specifically made for miniature painting. Imperial Assault used the same plastic and my painted models never lost any paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for the inspiration! Definitely going to paint mine at some point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did Orcs today

White primer - green base color - camoshade for shading - mephiston red dry brush for bloodstains - Bronze touches to highlight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
Looks great, well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Man I'm drooling. Can anyone recommend a tutorial or should I just go for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shipprekk wrote:
Man I'm drooling. Can anyone recommend a tutorial or should I just go for it?

If you haven't painted before, a tutorial, which YouTube has a number of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly painting these is piss easy, it's not like a detailed tabletop quality imperial assault / descent thing where you need 10 different paints and 5 shades to get the job done.

Just follow the same steps for each one:

1) Start with spraying on a primer (I prefer white as to not make the subsequent colors too dark and thus only needing 1 layer of paint)

2) Then paint te figures using a base color of your choosing (I used the same colors as were standard used to avoid mistakes, so blue for marines, green for orcs, etc...). Make sure you mix a drop of water for every 2 drops of paint so the details aren't swept away by a thick layer of paint.

3) Apply a suitable shade, this will accentuate the little details and make the figure pop. For a blue figurine, use a blue shade, a green one a green shade etc... You can play around a bit, I am now using a purple shade for my red figurines which should be up shortly.

4) Use other colors to your liking to highlight as much as you want, such as giving the marines gold Banner icons or the orcs blood spatter.

If you want a bit more convincing, look for Sorastro's painting guide on youtube. He taught me how to paint Imperial Assault and those lessons are handy for any kind of painting.

Lastly; don't be afraid to just start and fail. I was very scared first painting and now after a few tries I naturally know what's going to work and what's not. If you mess up, just reapply some paint or wash the figure and start over, no harm done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished everything now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What base did you end up using for Eldar?

Also, are you using a wash on these guys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't recall the name but basic yellow base color from GW + I applied nuln oil as a wadh on those to get a sort of battleworn look and feel to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool, one more question -- how are you storing them now that they are painted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NoFunAtAll
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a foam board insert, you can check some designs on BGG or just measure it yourself and start making one, I usually let other's designs inspire me and then I make one using the ideas I thought madr sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Tempted to do proper faction colors but maroon/gold World Eaters might be too close to red/yellow Evil Sunz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice Hate Me
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nofunatalll wrote:
Finished everything now.

Niiiiiice! Just like Epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sozin sky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Primed everything, base coated and washed everything, working on details now. will post pics in a week or so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.