Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
How much rules tweaking would it take for a planeswalker to summon a squad from classic Heroscape?

As it stands, the current selection of units for each planeswalker is rather paltry. I expect future expansions will address this issue, but in the mean time I'm wondering how well classic Heroscape units could be integrated into this new Heroscape reboot. I know, most people are asking the inverse of this question (ie- how well components from AotP will integrate into classic Herscape), and I'm curious about that as well, but I'm also curious about this aspect.

So, for those who have played AotP already and who are familiar with classic Heroscape, what do you think?- could I have Gideon summon some Tarn Viking Warriors or some Omnicron Snipers to aid him in his fight?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Without seeing the units, I would expect some serious balancing issues between units, not unlike Marvel Heroscape.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it would all be custom rules at that point, I don't see why someone wouldn't be able to figure something out, if they took the time to design and playtest it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TIM0THY wrote:
could I have Gideon summon some Tarn Viking Warriors or some Omnicron Snipers to aid him in his fight?

After watching the Dice Tower video comparing the two systems, I had exactly this same thought. I'm not even all that worried about balance issues. I just want to try it.

(Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tc8L8t-bfs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schlichting
United States
Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
Watched the Dice Tower video. Thanks for the link.

In a majority of our Heroscape sessions, we used house-ruled drafting and summoning mechanisms to great effect. Balance issues aren't really a problem with good drafting rules, especially for longer games. Sounds like some of our house rules may have been canonized. I think this is going to work just fine.

I'm excited about this one now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got mine today, and pulling out my meager Heroscape collection, I can see something like this:

* Clearly, the ArchKyries can be Legendary Creatures of some Color, including a Neutral

* Some of the units and squads do seem to fit the 5 classic MtG power domains, along with some that are clearly Neutral.

* The other sets (Volcarin, Tundra, Castle...) provide the hexes that have Green (Trees), Red (Lava), White (Snow), Blue (Water) mana points. I would say Black can use Swamp hexes (Mario?)

* I clearly need more HeroScape. Much more. Especially the Generals.
And the Terrain Sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Without seeing the units, I would expect some serious balancing issues between units, not unlike Marvel Heroscape.

-Ski

I suspect some serious balancing issues between units, completely unlike Marvel Heroscape.

Marvel Heroscape units were very powerful, very costly, and quite well balanced. The rules were completely compatible with HS. Arena is a reminiscent system with several critical differences. The costing systems are close, but note quite aligned, and there are several cases where additional rules/rulings are needed to merge the two systems, with no precedent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.