Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for pick up one of these games, but I'm not sure which. I used to own the vanilla version with a few of the add on expansions, but I'd much rather have one complete game. I'm torn between...

Hunters and Gatherers
Gold Rush
South Seas
New World
or maybe there's another I don't know about.

I'm not a fan of Ark of the Covenant, which brings me to my main criteria: easy to understand/remember scoring system. I want something that my 8 year old son can understand. He likes to play games on his own, playing with all colors, so I'd like him to have something to play around with, even if he doesn't include everything. I have an idea in mind for which I might like, but I'd like to hear what others think too. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got H&G today. From everything I've read, I have a feeling it's going to be the Carc for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't played the rest, so I don't know. But I don't know how you could beat plain ol Carcassonne plus a couple expansions. You can fit it all in one box, so it's pretty much just one complete game. And as far as I remember, I thought the scoring was simplified in Ark of the Covenant, with sheep vs wolves for field scoring, which is usually what messes with people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Charbonneau
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castle

Feel free to ridicule

Simple tile placement and scoring rules (even for Carcassonne), bonus tiles, and I find the walls encourage some cutthroat play (depending on who you're playing against).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hunters and Gatherers is great. But The City is my favorite Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McGee
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Click to view this user's profile.
badge
Uncertainty and Innovation
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played any of these but Hunters and Gatherers. That said, I like it. The scoring is more complex than base Carc by a smidgen, but it's got other things that are a little better.

And I can't recommend The Castle. It's the worse Carc version I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
smallville247 wrote:
I haven't played the rest, so I don't know. But I don't know how you could beat plain ol Carcassonne plus a couple expansions. You can fit it all in one box, so it's pretty much just one complete game. And as far as I remember, I thought the scoring was simplified in Ark of the Covenant, with sheep vs wolves for field scoring, which is usually what messes with people.

Maybe what would've helped with the original plus expansions, is if I would've printed out a cheat sheet to remind myself of the effects of the added bits. I agree that the sheep vs wolves was easy to score. It was the movement of the ark I didn't like. That and the 'cross' scoring of the temple, which was a little cliché in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actuarially wrote:
The Castle

Feel free to ridicule

Simple tile placement and scoring rules (even for Carcassonne), bonus tiles, and I find the walls encourage some cutthroat play (depending on who you're playing against).

Well, it IS a Knizia design after all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Discovery has the advantage of providing a player reference card to explain how everything scores. Its scoring is weird compared to other Carcassonnes, but not that strange if it's the only one you've got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have H&G and South Seas and recommend both. Plus, South Seas is so colorful!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the basic Carcassonne, thus mixing and matching with whichever expansion my kids choose !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played H&G (really fun!) and New World (not good, Surveyors keep kicking your pieces off the board).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite is Ark out of them all which given that you have said you do not like that one is not much use as advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I read about Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers it makes me think it has favor over the original in some crowds because it has extra features that are sort of like including and expansion right within the main game.

Driver 8 wrote:
or maybe there's another I don't know about.

My own preference is for Carcassonne: The Discovery. Scoring is not simply about how large a feature grows, rather it may be connected to objects found in neighboring features.

Additionally, there are fewer pawns that then must be carefully budgeted. In connection with that the pawns my even be withdrawn early for reduced scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for New World? It seems more tactical and the artwork is beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:

I have very limited exposure, but I get an impression that the Surveyors turn what I otherwise associate as a casual atmosphere of this series into something more frantic that has to race for completion of features against the Surveyor advancement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TVis wrote:
Driver 8 wrote:

I have very limited exposure, but I get an impression that the Surveyors turn what I otherwise associate as a casual atmosphere of this series into something more frantic that has to race for completion of features against the Surveyor advancement.

It seems to me that New World is the one that's the most different from the others, so it rubs some people the wrong way. I mean they bring their previous Carcassonne experience into it, I don't know. Maybe if they had never played any other Carcassonne titles before, they wouldn't have a problem. I think I'll give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actuarially wrote:
The Castle

Feel free to ridicule

Castle isn't just best with 2 players, it's only for two. Knizia did a great job of keeping the important bits from the original (which means having to explain that your merchants (farmers) are gone for the rest of the game), and ditching what wouldn't work in his version--matching roads, yes; matching building tiles, no.

+1 for Carcassonne: The Castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Graves
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
For me the base game with Inns and Cathedrals expansion is great. I have Hunters and Gatherers and it is nice for a change and it is really fun but I wouldn't trade the base game for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulf Persson
Sweden
Malmo
Scania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kito Impsta
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
UCP Boardgamer wrote:

Mine too.

But i would have never gone there if it wasn't for [url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carcassonne_(board_game)[/url]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Stowmarket
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My fav is the original, closely followed by Souths Seas.

The original plus a few of the many expansions really makes the base game so much more interesting, plus it's quite fun to pick random expansions every play or so.

South Seas is a little more aesthetically vibrant and scoring is easier, so its one which I get out with the not-so-boardgame-savvy family members.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.