Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Knocked Down status clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dale Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On pg. 17 of the rulebook, under Knocked Down, it states that "a knocked down figure must spend its entire move to get back up". Should that say entire turn? I don't think the intent of being knocked down is that you could still do an action after (or before) you arise (other than attacking and defending). Otherwise, why would it specifically say at the end of this section that you can attack and defend normally? If you could still do any one of your normal actions, saying that you could attack and defend normally would be redundant. I would think that free actions would also be on hold till your next turn.

The instructional video on Plaid Hat's website also uses the term move instead of turn as well, so maybe I'm just mistaken.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The...
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Being knocked down doesn't prevent you from doing any actions (aside from Scurry, which is movement). If there's an opposing figure in the same or adjacent space, or you have a ranged weapon, you can still attack normally. Standing back up effectively takes the place of your normal movement for the turn, so you can still take a normal action either before or after.

Think of it like you've seen in countless movies or TV shows where a character gets knocked off their feet and keeps swinging/shooting/blocking/etc. while they're on the ground, but they still have to take a moment to get back up before they can run away.

Stunned is the opposite, because that still allows normal movement but prevents you from taking any actions except Recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Kyle is correct, except that I'd rule that you are allowed to Scurry. Each mouse's turn consists of a Move and an Action, in any order. It's the Move that gets taken to stand up after being knocked down. You still have your Action, and may scurry if desired.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Ray said, it's just Move. During a mouse's turn, they can normally move and then take an action, or take an action then move. When a mouse is Knocked Down, it basically cost you that mouse's move part of their turn to stand them up.

So the mouse can either take an action and then use it's move to stand up, or use it's move to stand up and then take an action. Regarding Scurry though, you would have to do that after using your move to stand up, because a Scurry must come after moving (or move part of their turn in this case).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Taylor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies! I think I've got it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.