Subject: The new "points" structure? A bundle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I take note that at the end of each of the army WarScroll lists is a sort of "bundle" suggestion of forces to make up the army you table.

Under key words like HOST and PATROL, these groups seem to be what is taking the place of the old formal points system?

My guess is that each army will be matched in this way.

Host versus Host, Patrol versus Patrol and mixed combinations of all other named group types.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/age-of-sigmar-compendium...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:

Nope.

A squad of 10 goblins and a squad of 15 goblins are identical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
GHOST FINGER wrote:

Nope.

A squad of 10 goblins and a squad of 15 goblins are identical.

How curious then?
I wonder why they would go to the trouble of naming these groups if not for the purposes of some form of measure or balance?

We shall have to wait and see then I guess.

The game structure I feel is solid.
No need to rush to tourney formalities right now.

I have a starter coming, it will be interesting to see how they do it in the opening walkthrough scenarios?

Most perplexing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
I wonder why they would go to the trouble of naming these groups if not for the purposes of some form of measure or balance?

Unit organization on the board for breaking purposes and movement.

This terrible problem is the wording allows a unit with a standard bearer, drummer and warden and 50 dudes to count the same as 10 plain guys.

"A unit has 10 or more models" outright destroys any balance system.

Originally, I thought like you - hey 10 Skaven is equal to 3 dwarves. Nope. 10 OR MORE, with no limitations given.

The only interesting possibility is the Sudden Death victory condition, where if one team has 1/3 more models than the other, you can claim a win by defeating a specific unit or individual piece. This may encourage taking tiny forces, as if you had 50 guys and they had 6, the 6 man team may simply elect to wipe out a wizard of yours, and you literally have to many guys to bring the army to bear.

But then you get that 10 skaven are worth the same as 10 ogres.

Still problematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat
United States
Marcellus
New York
flag msg tools
War.
badge
War never changes.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw that as well, but caught that the "core" units really don't specify numbers within a particular unit. Still, it is a way to create small battalions to put up against each other. Gentleman's agreements that a core unit is comprised of 10 units, something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes I understand what you mean, but Workshop are heavily invested in making the system work and I am sure they have plans for it.

It has been suggested that the battles will be scenario based, with set units all with a part to play in each incident as the story arc unfolds.

Some scenarios may not even be balanced from the get go?

It's all about beating the odds with the challenge the mission presents and how that win or loss effects the greater story arc.

I am very interested to see how it all unfolds...

Exciting times, it's all new again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
Yes I understand what you mean, but Workshop are heavily invested in making the system work and I am sure they have plans for it.

I'm not so sure.

They are invested in creating minis for painting. After games with wild swings like Dreadfleet and Relic, where you can easily win or lose due to luck and not play, I don't think balance matters to their target audience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McLeod
Canada
ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What GW does not seem interested in is a meeting engagement style game with a need to balance units against each other. They are focusing on story and character and that is best accomplished with scenarios.

When you play Memoir 44 you set up a scenario. You don't need complex point calculations based on individual units. The scenario is the balance. You can provide unit options within the scenario itself. If you think the scenario is unfair go ahead and switch sides.

We have to get out of the mindset that you are building an army from the ground up. Instead you are buying units that will be used in various scenarios like those in the starter box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tylerbbb wrote:
What GW does not seem interested in is a meeting engagement style game with a need to balance units against each other. They are focusing on story and character and that is best accomplished with scenarios.

When you play Memoir 44 you set up a scenario. You don't need complex point calculations based on individual units. The scenario is the balance. You can provide unit options within the scenario itself. If you think the scenario is unfair go ahead and switch sides.

We have to get out of the mindset that you are building an army from the ground up. Instead you are buying units that will be used in various scenarios like those in the starter box.

Yes, yes I agree.
Perhaps now that much of the "Book stuff" is in the fire place, what we will be looking at in the future of Sigmar are books of different scenarios to re enact, and if like for like in the scenario is not available then comparable forces may be perhaps brought in from the armies of the old world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hill
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple of solos with the new rules and the Island of Blood minis. The forces were remarkably well matched. In the final match it came down to the elf wizard and the Skaven mortar team. The elf wizard miscast his spell, and the mortar team, with a wizard at their mercy, blew themselves up. Gotta love Skaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Burbage wrote:
I played a couple of solos with the new rules and the Island of Blood minis. The forces were remarkably well matched. In the final match it came down to the elf wizard and the Skaven mortar team. The elf wizard miscast his spell, and the mortar team, with a wizard at their mercy, blew themselves up. Gotta love Skaven.

Lol! Great story!
Made my day

I've been running two full copies of the old dwarf and goblin starters to see how Sigmar handles massive hordes of little greenies and specials like spider riders.

Gotta say we are having a blast with Sigmar so far, those forces haven't seen play in years and now it's all my guys want to do

So simple, so much fun.

I am digging out old castles and bits of scenery that were too narrow inside for the old trays and having a really great time designing new stuff with actual rooms and hallways that can take the battle inside!

Can't wait to get my hands on the new core set

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.