11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Late to the Party With Pathfinder rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Nevis
msg tools
Hi all

I was sure there'd be a specific forum here for game play or rules questions, but I can't seem to find one. So I really hope this is the right place to ask.

My wife and I recently instituted a board game night. I'm more or less driving this initiative. So choosing the games to buy, (one a month-ish)learning the rules, setting up to make gameplay painless... all pretty much me right now. But I'm hoping that Mrs Badger will quickly catch the bug and make the rest of the leap on board.

I want to show how much board games have changed since we were nippers, (A long long time ago)because to be honest we both carry the mental scars of torturous family sessions of the the usual suspects as we were dragged up in the 60's & 70's and were both pretty much turned off the hobby as a consequence.

A while back I stumbled across Will Wheaton on Geek & Sundries "Tabletop" (Wow... that episode of TNG which showed what Wesley would look like all growed up?.. Not so much.) which made me want to re-investigate board games and subsequently I've also seen good things on other YouTube channels including "Watch It Played" and "Rahdo Runs Through".

I've been trying to concentrate on cooperative games so that we can play together rather than against one another and so far have bought "Pandemic", which was a big success.

"Escape the Curse of the Temple", which we enjoyed.... but "Pandemic" was a hard act to follow I think. (Yeah, we'd go with Betty Rubble...But we'd be thinking of Wilma.)

"Space Hulk" I already had from some years ago and I used the excuse to drag it out of retirement... I can live in hopes.

We're currently waiting on "Tessen" to arrive from the other side of the pond and our very latest acquisition is "Pathfinder" which we played for the first time last night.

I'd never even considered a deck building game to be honest, but had my eyes opened (at least to some extent) by of all things a video game. In "Witcher 3" you have the opportunity to play a card game called "Gwent" and at first I dismissed it as something included for folks with their trousers hanging around their buttocks and their hats on the wrong way around. But then I begrudgingly played a few rounds and then a few more and suddenly I was stopping on route to quests if I saw someone who might play a hand. I even stopped half way through a horse race once!

Anyway... point is that it made me think again about deck builders and having now had a look at and more or less dismissed the video game version of "Magic The Gathering". My imagination was well and truly caught by an inclusive deck builder I saw on Rahdo called "Shadowrun Crossfire".

Sadly, though my imagination might have been captured, my ape like brain was unable to grasp most of what he was up to and while it looked like fun, I knew I'd not be able to manage it and I'd definitely never be able to sell it to Mrs Badger!

"Pathfinder" though looked like a similar idea, but easier to grasp and while this definitely proved to be the case, we did finish the game with a number of questions which the rules didn't seem keen to help us out with and the games fate hangs in the balance to a degree because while I very much enjoyed it, the jury is still out as far as the missus is concerned.

So I thought I'd come to the experts (that's you that is) with my "Pathfinder" questions, in the hopes of sealing the deal with a second session which runs more smoothly than the first.

But I've already warbled on for far too long and don't want to bore you further with questions if this turns out to be the wrong section to post in.

So let me know and I'll either post them in this thread, or where ever else you direct me to and in the mean time thanks for your ears and it's nice to meet you Board Game Geeks.

Badger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game has forums specific to that game...

Pathfinder Forums
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both the Ruin Lords and the new one Skull and Shackles. Personally I like Skull and Shackles better. I would suggest going to the Skull and Shackles page and watch some of the run through videos. The Eclectic Gamer does a great job. he plays with his wife in the vids. Also you will find people that play pathfinder are very passionate about it and tend to be extremely responsive to posts on the game's page forums.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Nevis
msg tools
Thanks monchi. I'll have a look at that and I'll check out The Eclectic Gamer.

Thanks for the link Bryan. I must be going blind in my old age because even now I still can't see how to get to the forum manually. But your link sorts it out for me and I've added it to my favorites tab so job done.

With access to the forum I have to rethink my questions now. I had four and that's already cut down to two as I've read through some of the threads. I might well end up with none to ask. Thanks again.

Badger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OldBadger wrote:
Thanks for the link Bryan. I must be going blind in my old age because even now I still can't see how to get to the forum manually. But your link sorts it out for me and I've added it to my favorites tab so job done.
At the top of the page search for the game. When it comes up, click the game name to go to the game page. On the game page there is a list showing the top forum posts. Ignore the list and click the "Forums >" link which will take you to the place I linked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felix Brause
Germany
Duisburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pathfinder is not a deckbuilding game. It´s a.. deckusing game? But that doesn´t makes it bad, in fact I really like it (only played a few scenario packs in the first one though).
So if you find it interesting go for it But it´s not a dominion or Star realms type deckbuilder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Porteous
Scotland
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
I have not played Pathfinder but have recently become intrigued by Deck Builders myself and am in a very similar boat to you. It is only in the past year I have become an avid board gamer and have an infrequent board gaming group as well as playing against my brother most nights.

I am trying to get the girlfriend into the boardgame world and while she likes it she is not as passionate as I. However she does enjoy card based games so Pathfinder may be a good shout, along with 7 wonders.

I will definitely be checking it out once I have cleared my amazon wishlist and the 10 kickstarter games I have backed show up. it is a dangerously obsessive hobby. until then I guess I will just Play more games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Hill
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have absolutely no experience with Pathfinder but I know DnD and that the RPG section on BGG is pretty good. You could probably get more answers if you asked there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monchichi wrote:
I have played both the Ruin Lords and the new one Skull and Shackles. Personally I like Skull and Shackles better.

Agree, Skull & Shackles is the better of the 2.

MrCleanOr wrote:
Pathfinder is not a deckbuilding game. It´s a.. deckusing game?

Yep quite different from a deckbuilding game - really more of a cooperative adventuring game that uses a deck of cards. Two DBG's I'd recommend are Nightfall and Star Realms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've not played Path Finder but Shadowrun Crossfire is on the list for a gift for hubby... He and the boys play the RPG Shadowrun but we also watched some videos with the Crossfire and that looks like a game I could enjoy too...

Other deckbuilding / using that we like is Dominion, Smash Up!, Magic and I've heard Star Realms is good but I think that is 2 player only

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Ambersilk wrote:

I've heard Star Realms is good but I think that is 2 player only

I haven't tried it but you can supposedly play w/ more than 2 players. The general advice is a deck for everyone 2 players and just mix all the cards together. If you have the base deck plus some of the expansions you could probably squeeze in a 3 player game w/o too much trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.