Subject: Boat 4B & Extensions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So i had this edge case come up in a game recently and wanted to confirm that we played it correctly. I had boat 4b allowing me to ignore color for the purposes of activating tiles. I know from the Merchants rules that this also applies to extensions. where it got interesting was the order in which things happened. I had a tile (I think the farrier but it doesn't much matter) which had been upgraded but not extended. I activated it with a yellow meeple and then extended the same farrier tile but chose a red extension.

I believe it's within the rules to do this since boat 4b allows breaking the rule but it's odd because normally the first meeple played sets the color but in this case I think the extension has to trump that and the first meeple lays down on it's side. the reason i we played it this way was that if we hadn't it would be impossible for other players to activate the tile; it had a yellow extension requiring yellow but was started with a red meeple so it required red.

the other interpretation would be to assume that my first move was illegal and than boat 4b doesn't allow you to extend a tile with a different color than the one with which you activated it. after all the specific rule in the book reads

Quote:
(Note that a player owning boat 4b may ignore this restriction and continue to place any colour of worker when using a tile upgraded by an extension. If the player places a different coloured worker then they should place the worker lying horizontally for identification.)

not confident we played it correctly although all felt it seemed fair at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Moller
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think it may only apply to workers. Since you started the tile's round with a yellow activation, everyone must follow yellow, including the extension I would think.

Playing an extension isn't "activating" that tile, which is the action that 4b allows you to break.

maybe I'm wrong though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophia Lechner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Will that your move was illegal. When you placed the yellow worker, it had to have been standing up, not lying down. (boat 4b doesn't allow you the option of laying it down if it's not breaking the same-color rule).

Since the tile now has a yellow worker standing on it, extensions must be yellow, and no boat allows you to break that rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Jem made the right call in agreeing with Will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JemL wrote:
I agree with Will that your move was illegal. When you placed the yellow worker, it had to have been standing up, not lying down. (boat 4b doesn't allow you the option of laying it down if it's not breaking the same-color rule).

Since the tile now has a yellow worker standing on it, extensions must be yellow, and no boat allows you to break that rule.

this sounds right to me. as you put it the rule being broken has nothing to do with activations. i was torn during the game because it made order of operations matter and normally it doesn't in this game but your explanation is very convincing to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.