David Fernandez Marquez
Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
flag msg tools
So, as the title said, I've been looking at the idea of getting into building myself a couple foamcore inserts. To my name, I have a fair amount of 3mm foamcore board (I know people like the EOoG recommend 5mm thick, but I can actually find 3mm foam in shops in my town while for 5mm I would have to order online and eat more than the cost of the board in shipping), an exacto knife, glue, and a whole lot of clumsiness .

Thing is, I have been measuring and doing some plans, but I'm a total noob when it comes to any kind of arts and crafts. So any super important tips to keep in mind would be really, really welcome... plus I have one actual, direct question from ideas occurred that I have no idea how to implement.

Does anyone have any tips on making an openable lid in foamcore? I would love to make the center box in the BattleCON character separation thing I'm planning have a lid with a glossy image pasted on, hiding all the components underneath, but I have no idea how to make a raise-able (is that a word?) lid with this material. Would simply going to a hardware store and buying a couple small hinges work?

Thanks for any help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
Avatar
mb
Not sure if this is what you are going for, but if you just score the foamcore (cut the paper on just one side, but do not let your blade cut through the other side) then it will essentially make a hinge.

This is also how I do my corners as well.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

One other bit of advice- use BRAND NEW BLADES - often- or you will get nasty ragged cuts.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Outside
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth it to invest in a metal ruler to use as a guide for your cuts.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez Marquez
Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
flag msg tools
middletonner wrote:
Not sure if this is what you are going for, but if you just score the foamcore (cut the paper on just one side, but do not let your blade cut through the other side) then it will essentially make a hinge.

This is also how I do my corners as well.


Wouldn't that have a propensity to getting torn? After alll, this will have to open and close every time a round is played.

volnon wrote:

One other bit of advice- use BRAND NEW BLADES - often- or you will get nasty ragged cuts.

JoeOutside wrote:
It's worth it to invest in a metal ruler to use as a guide for your cuts.


I'll see about those, then. Wonder if I can find a metal ruler for cheap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyn Roddis
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a steel ruler, not an aluminium one. You'll cut bits out of an aluminium ruler in no time and then its edge won't be straight anymore. I think a cork or foam back on the ruler is essential too, to stop it slipping as you cut.

For hinges, how about glueing on strips of wide ribbon?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
Avatar
mb
Drascin wrote:
Wouldn't that have a propensity to getting torn? After alll, this will have to open and close every time a round is played.

The backing paper is pretty stout stuff, so it would probably hold up as long as you weren't playing the game every night of the week. I have a few sorting boxes I made using foamcore and they are still in use after a few years. Shoring it up with some type of tape would help as well, book binders or even some gaffer tape if you can.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jono D
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As for the lid - does it have to have a hinge? Or just a lid that sits firmly?

Just cut a bit of foamcore the same size as the surface you are covering then cut 4smaller bits and glue them 3mm (or 5mm with 5mm foam core) in on each side of the bottom of the newly cut bit to create a lid that should sit firmly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby within the hobby, foam board insert building! I actually have a geeklist where I keep track of the inserts I've made as well as provide many tips based on things I've learned. Check it out if you have some time: 28green's Collection of Foam Board Inserts

Good luck!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fernandez Marquez
Spain
Tarragona
Tarragona
flag msg tools
refugeesfromreality wrote:
Get a steel ruler, not an aluminium one. You'll cut bits out of an aluminium ruler in no time and then its edge won't be straight anymore. I think a cork or foam back on the ruler is essential too, to stop it slipping as you cut.

For hinges, how about glueing on strips of wide ribbon?


Hmmm. Most I've seen were aluminium. I think there was an aluminium one that had a steel side, though - bit annoying that it's the side that doesn't have the measurement marks, but what can you do. Just gotta mark some pencil lines to cut.

middletonner wrote:
Drascin wrote:
Wouldn't that have a propensity to getting torn? After all, this will have to open and close every time a round is played.

The backing paper is pretty stout stuff, so it would probably hold up as long as you weren't playing the game every night of the week. I have a few sorting boxes I made using foamcore and they are still in use after a few years. Shoring it up with some type of tape would help as well, book binders or even some gaffer tape if you can.


I'll give it a try, then. This is not a game that will come out constantly, after all, so if you say it can hold up for a while, I think it could work. With any luck this weekend I will get some free time to begin the actual cutting and pasting.

Stormzors wrote:
As for the lid - does it have to have a hinge? Or just a lid that sits firmly?

Just cut a bit of foamcore the same size as the surface you are covering then cut 4smaller bits and glue them 3mm (or 5mm with 5mm foam core) in on each side of the bottom of the newly cut bit to create a lid that should sit firmly.


Well, not going to lie, the main reason I thought of a lid that opens upwards under the "HEAVEN OR HELL" symbol at the center of the insert was that it would be pretty stylish, and it would not require obstructing the image with adding a handle to raise it without difficulty. So it was purely a personal preference.

28green wrote:
Welcome to the hobby within the hobby, foam board insert building! I actually have a geeklist where I keep track of the inserts I've made as well as provide many tips based on things I've learned. Check it out if you have some time: 28green's Collection of Foam Board Inserts

Good luck!


Hah. Well, up to now I don't have THAT many games that require inserts, thankfully - most of my current games come with fairly workable inserts. So I shouldn't fall too deep into the rabbit hole.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.