Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rhino Hero
MFG: HABA
#of Players: 2 - 5
Age Range: 5 - 99

Overall Construction: There is not much to the construction of Rhino Hero. The box could have been a little smaller since you basically just get the equivalent of a deck of cards, a rulebook, & a little wooden figure of the Rhino Hero. The Rhino Hero figure is a solid single piece of wood, but I would be careful with it around small children as it is only as high as a quarter if you stand it on its edge. The rulebook comes in 5 different languages (US/UK, Chinese, German, French, Spanish). All versions have detailed instructions & images of the different symbols and of how you can tell were to place your walls.

Lastly, you have 2 half decks of cards. All of the cards are of a thicker cardstock than standard playing cards. Because of the type of cardstock used these cards are difficult to shuffle.One of these decks is the roof/floor/foundation cards and the other is the walls. The wall cards will eventually be bent in half to match the markings on the roof/floor/foundation cards. The roof/floor/foundation cards all have little “V” shaped markings on them to tell you where to place your walls. Some of the cards are embossed with different symbols on them. They will be explained in the game play portion.

Gameplay: Let’s say that Uno and a house of cards hard a baby. This game would be it.

At the start of the game you will want to decide if you’re going to play easy game or a hard game. If it’s easy use the side of the foundation with markings on it for 2 walls to be placed. If you choose the difficult game, use the side that only has markings for one wall.

Then each player will get 5 roof/floor tiles, unless there is only 2 players, then each get 7 cards.They say the player who has most recently performed a good deed should go first, I like to use the youngest player.

The first player will bend the required walls in the appropriate shape to match the markings on the floor. Then they will place a Roof/floor tile, this is where things get tricky. The roof/floor tiles may have a symbol on 2 corners of the card. The symbols are: Rhino Hero – if you have this marking you will place the Rhino Hero figure on the picture of the Rhino Hero, “!” – this means the next player skips their turn, “+1” – the next player draws an extra roof tile, there is one with circular arrows on it – this switches the direction of play(like a reverse in Uno), & a “2X” – you will notice this card does not have wall markings on it, that is because you get to lay another roof/floor card on top of it.

Players take turns building floors and walls until both players run out of floors or someone destroys the tower. I have yet to see people run out of roof/floor cards before the building collapses. The person who collapses it is automatically the looser. From that, whomever has the fewest roof/floor tiles is the winner.

Yes/No Recommend: As with all things Haba I have ever come across I highly recommend getting this game. It may look like a childrens game, but this is truly fun for all ages. Since I brought this home from Origins it is one of the most often requested games to bring to family game night. We even tried to play it even more like Uno by making the person who toppled the tower to take all of the roof/floor tiles that fell, but it made the game too long and stopped being fun halfway through. I also learned that it is not wise to try and play this game while eating fried chicken. I tried playing by myself and was on my last set of cards when the tower toppled on me at the restaurant I was at. If you can end the game without toppling the tower please post pictures.

If you have a child who is an aspiring engineer or who needs to work on their manual dexterity this is a great game for them.

Where To Get It: This Jun I met up with the Haba USA crew and was told that their games will now be easier to get in the US because the game store distributors will now be carrying them. Until recently, they were only available in highly specialized stores. I implore you to go to your local game store and order this or one of many other Haba games. You won’t be disappointed. For more information on Haba and their other games please visit http://www.habausa.com/rhino-hero.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Friedly
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I can confirm that game stores can get Haba games. We just got Some Rhino Hero in this week and listed them on the BGG Marketplace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.