Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been struck by the inflation of images in popular games - many of which are very similar to already published images. This in turn leads to some GG inflation as well - more images, more GG, higher Geekbay prices etc.

But what if GG rewards for images were based on a sliding scale, so the more images a game has the less GG gained for posting new images? For example:

If you upload an image for a game that has none you get a higher GG reward (say 2 or 3 GG instead of the 1 GG you get today).
If you upload an image for a game that has a few (say between 3-15) you get a 1 GG reward.
If you upload images for games like Settlers or Carcassonne, which have 100's of images you gain only a few geekcents for the new images.

This would make it meaningless to image spam games (like those who upload hundreds of public domain images for chess, go and similar games).

The down side is that great images for games already filled would not be rewarded. That could be solved with rewarding images which are "approved and recommended" by their geekmods. It would require way to much energy to create multiple accounts in order to hope that you actually get to mod some of your spammed images, so that would still solve the spamming issue.

What do you folks think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for it. If you can't figure out what a game is after looking at 100 pictures of it, you never will folks. I wouldn't give extra gold for early pix though since the first user to upload will probably get the rep image bonus anyways. I'd also cut more slack in the scale. Say, 1gg for the first 50 pix, 50 cents from 50-100, and a nickle for any pix beyond 100.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Great idea!

thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
This has come up before. Here's a link to my 2 cents which also includes another proposed system using thumbs as an indicator of value: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1149845#1149845

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rgmnetid wrote:
This has come up before. Here's a link to my 2 cents which also includes another proposed system using thumbs as an indicator of value: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1149845#1149845

So, does that mean that any photos of women (or "girls" as they are tagged) playing boardgames would be of far greater value than any other images?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
kakupacal wrote:
...photos of women ... would be of far greater value...?
I'm not sure if that was rhetorical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Warpozio
Belgium
gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kakupacal wrote:
So, does that mean that any photos of women (or "girls" as they are tagged) playing boardgames would be of far greater value than any other images?

Duh, that's 5 geekgold extra!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Verdonck
Belgium
Edegem
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I love the suggestion of a sliding GG scale for submitted images !

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
warpozio wrote:
kakupacal wrote:

Duh, that's 5 geekgold extra!!

Well if that was the case, some of us might have an edge on earning geekgold through pictures! Let's see... camera with self-timer, a game, a revealing bathing suit... instant 10 geekgold! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well if that was the case, some of us might have an edge on earning geekgold through pictures! Let's see... camera with self-timer, a game, a revealing bathing suit... instant 10 geekgold!

Not sure I quite understand.

Perhaps you could show us what you mean? blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this system could be combined with another idea of having different folders for images. That way the submitters of the first 10-20 photos of game components, 10-20 photos of games in play etc could get awarded 1 geekgold each. After that you would get less.

However, I think that very good pictures should somehow get 1 geekgold even if there are lots of images already for that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.