Subject: Mission: The Source - Line of Sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We played the mission "The Source" yesterday and had an interesting combination of abilities. The mission has the following end of round effect listed under the "Opportune Moment" section:

"Resolve the "Order" ability of the captured officer, choosing an Imperial figure within his line of sight instead of within 2 spaces"

We were battling between the Incinerator (tile 23a) and the Inspection Station (tile 20b). One of the players was playing Mak with "Covert" which reads:

"Hostile Figures 4 or more spaces away from you donot have line of sight to you. You do not block line of sight for those figures."

Here a picture of the setup: http://i.imgur.com/ri4Mjdy.jpg

Per RAW, we were unsure how to determine LOS. The E-Web Engineer can not attack Mak, because of Covert. But Covert does not matter for the captured Imperial Officer, since he is neither hostile (he is neutral) nor is he 4 or more spaces away from Mak. So he should not have LOS to the E-Web Engineer, even though the E-Web Engineer has LOS to the captured Imperial Officer.

I ruled (since the rebels were already far behind) that the captured Imperial Officer can not trigger his "Order" at the end of the round because he has no LOS to the E-Web Engineer. Whats your take on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tholl
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You ruled correctly. The Officer indeed does not have line of sight to the e-web. E-web does have line of sight to the Officer, though.

The RRG mentions this instance on pg 16

"It is possible for a figure to have line of sight to another figure that does not have line of sight back to itself."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tholl
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I'd like to point out the typo in this mission:
The captured Imperial Officer actually does not have the "Order" ability. It has the "Executive Order" ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DarkJodo wrote:
"It is possible for a figure to have line of sight to another figure that does not have line of sight back to itself."

I know, though I figured they meant that in a geometrical sense (which equates to one figure standing behind the edge of a wall). But I guess you are right.

For good measure, I have also submitted this to FFG to be sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Wimmer
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got back from FFG:

Quote:
You ruled correctly. Since the mission ability lets the Officer trigger “order” on any figure within his line of sight, the fact that E-Web has line of sight to the Officer is irrelevant as all that matters is what the Officer can see.

Thanks!

Paul Winchester
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Case closed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
I don't get it. How is it that the officer does not have a LOS to the E-Web engineer?

Take a look at the image:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
slyfoxbgg wrote:
I don't get it. How is it that the officer does not have a LOS to the E-Web engineer?

Take a look at the image:

Because of the right-most rebel figure. The e-web has LOS to the officer, because that rebel figure (Mak) has an ability which makes him invisible to anything 4 or more spaces away. But the officer does not have LOS through Mak to the e-web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. Figures block line of sight unless overriden by abilities. (Like Mak's Target Acquired.)

Mak's Covert does not come to play because he is within 3 spaces of the Officer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SlyFox
msg tools
mb
Doh! Right, I missed that

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mak's Covert also doesn't come into play for the Officer, because the Officer is neutral, so the Officer is not hostile to Mak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.