Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't played this that much yet but I'm beginning to doubt the play balance aspects of the chips.

Issue 1:- The key difficulty we have is that to win lots of chips you need to be very lucky with your die rolls. This means that the less fortunate players not only have to sufffer the glee of the lucky ones but also then get hammered by their use of chips.

It's the old problem of the rich getting richer, a feature which turns off non gamers who must form a large part of the audience this is aimed at.

Issue 2:- Often we only get to use the extra roll and extra turn options as they're all we can afford. This tends to solve my first issue but limits the value / interest of the chips.

Don't get me wrong, this is a fun game and one not to be taken too seriously. The components are excellent and those I've introduced it to have enjoyed it. I just feel there's something not quite right about the way the chips are used.

One idea I had is to have more ways of using lower numbers of chips.

Say 1 chip to buy the right to adjust one die and 1 additional chip for each pip value of adjustment. In other words:-

2 chips = change one die plus or minus one pip.
3 chips = change one die plus or minus two pips.
etc....

This would add more interest, give more options and encourage the use of smaller numbers of chips. It would help my Issue 2 and mean players would tend not to store chips and use them for the more powerful options, thus helping Issue 1.

I accept this would alter the game balance and make it easier to complete combinations. At the same time giving players a little bit more control would eliminate some of the frustration of repeated failed attempts.

Just a thought - any comments?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Wai-kit FUNG
Hong Kong
Mongkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played it tonight with my friend and my sister. We enjoy the game without making any complaints. Particularly my friend and I are quite picky on game design. We use chips quite differently. Though it is apparently the most effective way to cash chip is to re-roll, we do find it more critical or tactical important to use chips for swapping with or adding card to other player's hand.

Like other similar games, fun actually comes from the frustration of failed attemps (of other players). And as you would have expected, the pip-adjustment variant reduce the actual fun. It definitely corrupt the balance of the cards. The variant seems cannot be applied without entirely revising the cards.

Just had a discussion with my friend after reading your post. We do tend to cash chips for more interactive power generally to influence the leader. Being selfish without taking into account the leader issue in a multiplayer game (not just this game) would usually lead to apparent luck-driven results.

Just my opinions. No sense of argue here. But my english is not so word. Please forgive (or advise) if the wordings are inappropriate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea for two reasons.

First off, it brings in an excellent idea from another dice game that I am enjoying a lot lately, To Court the King. There are several cards in that game which allow you to add or subtract pips from a die.

Second, this game can get really frustrating. Many of the cards are simply looking for a lucky roll. Yes, I realize this is a dice game, and a few rolls that are completely lucky make for an exciting game, but there are just too many in this game, and it's easy to get frustrated. Your idea about buying pips gives a player more control.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just realized you could call your idea the Chips for Pips variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dorrell
England
Darwen
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, did you try it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.