Subject: Running out of trains: is it even possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mattia Ravasi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello everyone! I bought TTR Europe very recently and I'm already hooked

I have a quick question about the last turn of the game - I checked the manual but couldn't find an answer, maybe it's there and I'm just blind - I'm not sure.

Basically, the game ends when a player is left with 2 or less wagons. Cool. Everyone gets one more turn, including that specific player, and the game is over.

But what if I'm the player with 2 wagons left, and in my very last turn I want to build a 4-wagon-long route? Can I do that, or once you've used your 45 wagons you don't get any extra ones?

Is that the function of the 3 extra wagons per color I found in the box? Or are they there cause the good people from Asterion guessed I would lose some tokens under the couch sooner or later?

Thanks for the help - I hope it's not too dumb a question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only claim routes if you have enough trains. You cannot use the additional spare trains - just the 45 you start the game with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krokgard wrote:
Thanks for the help - I hope it's not too dumb a question

Not at all. The dumb thing would be to play the game wrongly because you didn't ask the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krokgard wrote:
Is that the function of the 3 extra wagons per color I found in the box? Or are they there cause the good people from Asterion guessed I would lose some tokens under the couch sooner or later?)

Trust the latter, the publisher was protecting you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krokgard wrote:
- I checked the manual but couldn't find an answer, maybe it's there and I'm just blind - I'm not sure.

Nothing special is stated about the game end to change what happens on a normal turn. The first sentence here is still in effect.

A route must be claimed in its entirety during a single turn. For example, you cannot lay two trains on a three-space route and wait for the next turn to lay the third train.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattia Ravasi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Got it - thanks a lot people, that was super fast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHARALAMPOS PAPADAKIS
Greece
HERAKLION CRETE
Non-US/Canada
flag msg tools
mb
If you look in the instructions manual they say that to play the TTR Europe for example you will need 45 trains and if you want to play Switzerland expansion game you will need 40 trains instead of 45. My question is if i have 5 last trains and in my turn i use only the 3 trains to claim a route, the rest of the players will have the last turn to put trains on the map to claim the route, when my turn is come again i put my last 2 trains on the map to claim a route or the game ends without those trains on the map...?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Israel Waldrom
New Zealand
Dunedin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody gets a final turn, including the person who triggers the end of the game. So if you trigger the end of the game, yes, you can place those 2 trains with your final action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are playing the Switzerland map, you may only use 40 trains in total. (The 5 removed from the game may not be used at all.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CharisP2014 wrote:
If you look in the instructions manual they say that to play the TTR Europe for example you will need 45 trains and if you want to play Switzerland expansion game you will need 40 trains instead of 45. My question is if i have 5 last trains ...

There is some awkwardness in your question since it could seem that you are trying to use the extra 5 trains beyond the 40 permitted. That would not be allowed.

Quote:
... when my turn is come again i put my last 2 trains on the map to claim a route or the game ends without those trains on the map...?!

Yes you may place trains on your final turn, provided you can fill the full size of the route (as usual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.