21 Posts

Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 2 – India & Switzerland» Forums » General

Subject: I hate tunnels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avid fan of ticket to ride for about ten years. I finally got around to trying another map so I bought this one. Tunnels really ruin the game for me. Ups the random factor big time. Extremely hard in a two or three player game to remember how many of each train card has been seen. So every game we end up with one person totally screwed out of winning. They either end up with losing a ton of turns because they can't finish a route because of tunnels. Or they end up with a bunch of wasted cards in their hand. Can someone explain why tunnels are fun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkhamssaber wrote:
Avid fan of ticket to ride for about ten years. I finally got around to trying another map so I bought this one. Tunnels really ruin the game for me. Ups the random factor big time. Extremely hard in a two or three player game to remember how many of each train card has been seen. So every game we end up with one person totally screwed out of winning. They either end up with losing a ton of turns because they can't finish a route because of tunnels. Or they end up with a bunch of wasted cards in their hand. Can someone explain why tunnels are fun?

I don't like them either. But don't forget that in Switzerland's map, you can take locmotives easily like other cards, which helps with the tunnels.

You might also just try an optional rule that a tunnel means to just play 1 extra card of the same color, since that's roughly what happens on average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know locomotives are easier to get. But trying to complete a tunnel late game is super frustrating. Not good when you have to tweak a game to make it enjoyable. Hopefully the India side is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't count cards obsessively, and I rarely tackle a tunnel without two spares in hand. They're fine so far as I'm concerned with no need to house rule anything. India is an excellent map, though, so you should enjoy that even if you don't care for Switzerland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Making sure I have spares just gives me dead cards late game. Whichever way you approach tunnels you might get stuck in some fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art C

Beaverton
Or
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
India is great, the choke points across the middle of the map are nasty and the loop bonus changes things as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkhamssaber wrote:
I know locomotives are easier to get. But trying to complete a tunnel late game is super frustrating. Not good when you have to tweak a game to make it enjoyable. Hopefully the India side is better.
I hate to break this to you, but Swiss map's already got the more prominent concern of "Destination Ticket drawfest"

Spoiler (click to reveal)
connecting 2 or more countries together, and then drawing out as many of the Destination Tickets to get 'spoon fed' points

besides, don't you find the luck of drawing locos from the blind draw in maps where it'd count as 2 draws to be more aggravating?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Arkhamssaber wrote:
I hate to break this to you, but Swiss map's already got the more prominent concern of "Destination Ticket drawfest"

connecting 2 or more countries together, and then drawing out as many of the Destination Tickets to get 'spoon fed' points

besides, don't you find the luck of drawing locos from the blind draw in maps where it'd count as 2 draws to be more aggravating?

Spot on about it being a draw fest of points. Another reason the Swiss map may never see play again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? I mean, I guess if I'd only eaten vanilla ice cream for ten years, chocolate chip cookie dough might seem a big frightening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gulp
TheGreatHamEl wrote:
Really? I mean, I guess if I'd only eaten vanilla ice cream for ten years,chocolate chip cookie dough might seem a big frightening.

Better metaphor would be to say after eating only chocolate ice cream for ten years and then trying neapolitan and realizing you hate strawberry ice cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkhamssaber wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Arkhamssaber wrote:

Spot on about it being a draw fest of points. Another reason the Swiss map may never see play again.

That's why it's my favorite! It's very satisfying to have a fist full of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Satisfying is not the word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Drozek-Fitzwater
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkhamssaber wrote:

Satisfying is not the word.

Yes, it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
japes -

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the series but I've read comments like this about the tunnels a lot. Just curious if anyone has tried playing them like the mountain passes in legendary Asia. Seems like it would reduce the luck and increase the skill portion here.

If anyone has tried it I'd like to know how it worked out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japes wrote:
I'm new to the series but I've read comments like this about the tunnels a lot. Just curious if anyone has tried playing them like the mountain passes in legendary Asia. Seems like it would reduce the luck and increase the skill portion here.

IIRC, the tunnels there are shorter, but require more cards if a "cave-in" occurs. That sounds just as luckish to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
japes -

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
japes wrote:

IIRC, the tunnels there are shorter, but require more cards if a "cave-in" occurs. That sounds just as luckish to me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your comment but I don't see how the Mountain Pass rules in Legendary Asia are luckish. It's a set number each time. A three pass route with one Mountain Pass mark cost you three cards but you need four trains to build it. Three that go on the map to make the link and the fourth goes to the "trash" and you gain the 4 points for the link plus 2 points for the "trash"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japes wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
japes wrote:

Maybe I am misunderstanding your comment but I don't see how the Mountain Pass rules in Legendary Asia are luckish. It's a set number each time. A three pass route with one Mountain Pass mark cost you three cards but you need four trains to build it. Three that go on the map to make the link and the fourth goes to the "trash" and you gain the 4 points for the link plus 2 points for the "trash"

You're right. The confusion was on my end. blush

I was thinking Team Asia and the Tunnel mechanic.
Legendary Asia's Mountain Pass mechanic is just extra train pieces (not train cards) to claim (specific) routes.

I had to double check with my own review that I wrote, but that's why they're there!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/737939/ticket-ride-asia...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
japes -

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
japes wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
japes wrote:

You're right. The confusion was on my end. blush

I was thinking Team Asia and the Tunnel mechanic.
Legendary Asia's Mountain Pass mechanic is just extra train pieces (not train cards) to claim (specific) routes.

I had to double check with my own review that I wrote, but that's why they're there!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/737939/ticket-ride-asia...

OK, now that we are on the same page maybe I should restate my question with some context.

I should have Switzerland delivered any day now and while we planned on this being a map for my wife and I to play when my son was not around but I imagine that he will want to play it as well at some point. I think the planning of your cards around the tunnel uncertainty may be a bit much for him. So my idea for an adjustment was to use the Mountain Route rule from Legendary Asia in it's place and I was wondering if anyone else had tried subbing out tunnel rules for other options. I figured as many times as I've seen the comment "I hate tunnels" that someone would have tried something. Just eliminating them all together seems like a bad idea.

I also have been working on a custom map and planned on just having a "hazardous route" mechanic for Mountainous terrain that could be Tunnels or Mountain Passes and use the Mountain Pass mechanic from Legendary Asia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. St
msg tools
Arkhamssaber wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Arkhamssaber wrote:

Alan Moon has basically confirmed that the whole point of Switzerland is the ticket-fest. Which is why it's his and my favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me tunnels add to the theme. I love them. But then I came to TtR from Europe. Never played USA. It looks boring by comparison.

Tunnels are in mountainous regions. And Switzerland has a LOT of mountains
It makes sense when tunneling you may hit unexpected situations: soft rock prone to cave ins, hard rock, fault lines etc. Surface routes are more easily planned and budgeted. Provided of course the surveyor does the job properly.

For two/three player I prefer Nordic and UK though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No issue with tunnels here, if you are trying a tunnel route, make sure you have the cards spare first.

Not only may you get kicked back, you are also telling everyone else exactly where you want to go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls