Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there little monster miniatures i can use for this game
that closely resemble the cardboard monsters?
Any tips?
I'm getting the game within a week.
How about the army units?

Also, where i might find miniatures, or cheap plastic miniatures and which ones would be helpful!

-D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Miniatures to use for this game?
Duglis (#18085),
The game has a few plastic jet pieces in it. I would recommend if you want more to use pieces from Fortress America and maybe Axis and Allies. As far as monsters, I think it wouldn't be too hard to locate some toys that are fairly representative (some may be harder to find a replica of than others). Anything bigger than two or three inches might be problematic though.

I've also thought about using pieces from Air Baron to create an armed force for Canada so a fifth player might be added! I'll let you know if I do!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis (#18085),
Oh and be sure to check out the designer's website! The link is in the game entry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx (#18093),

Firefly Games has a tabletop/RPG hybrid called Monster Island. In the soft-cover rulebook is a cardboard insert which has cardboard monsters which you can cut out, fold, and slide onto plastic bases.

Nothing too fancy, but similar to Steve Jackson's Cardboard Heroes, and in varied types of creatures.

FYI, the game's pretty fun too. Do a search here at the 'Geek for Monster Island and it's expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx (#18093),

Good ideas. However, I don't have Axis & Allies any more!
ack.

The 2 inch monsters...hmm.. can you tell me what monsters
are in the game and their movie counterparts?

or should i just wait?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis (#18125),
Tomanagi = Godzilla (overpowered!)
Glow Worm = Mothra
Konk = King Kong
Mecha Monster = Mechagodzilla

The rest really don't have a direct Godzilla movie counterpart in my opinion.

Fortress America would work better than Axis and Allies for plastic units I think, and people are always selling parts and incomplete games on ebay.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Sandall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hackryder (#18095),
Ooooh Cliff thanks. You should rate the game and share your input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas S
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavedog_pdx (#18130),

Hmmmmm. I have to find some miniature plastic monster collection from ebay or somewhere.

Obviously a little gorilla plastic figure is easy to find
in children's zoo toys collections

that takes care of konk..and the godzilla toys ...etc
hmm
hmmmmmmmmmm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cwiklik
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was setting up my own godzilla-esk game using the buildings from big city. I found the best way to get a godzilla is take a small piece of styrofoam and cut a little godzilla figure from it.

It came out pretty and works well with mrna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clifford Roberson
United States
Orangevale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis (#18085),

I have found a link for a bunch of 3" Godzilla miniatures that came with Gummi candies or some such thing. Can get them all for 48 bucks here: http://www.clawmarktoys.com/newtoys/gmk/gmk.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fuller
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis (#18085),

I just realized that since WizKids came out with their plastic tabletop minis wargame Mage Knight a couple of years ago that these figures are the perfect size.

They are plastic, painted and fantasy-world based creatures, and some of them are perfect for the game - and even if they aren't exact matches, are horrifically "creature" looking enough to make things fun on the board.

Their bases fit perfectly on a hex. So stacking isn't really possible, but it's definitely not much of a problem. It also solves the "my army guys are dwarfing my monster" issue.

Mage Knight has already peaked (getting dusted by Lord of the Rings, HeroClix, and the new Star Wars mini), so boosters could be had on the cheap on Ebay IMHO.

PS - I haven't played "Crimson Skies," but that game is an all aerial miniatures game that also flopped. Same company, may be worth a peek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Li'l Ronnie Post
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
I've had some good luck using miniatures for the military units (see "Order of Battle" article for details, and a posted picture when that gets approved). I was hoping for monster miniatures as well, but FWIW, it truly didn't bother us to use the stand up cardboard monsters with the military minis.

Thanks to grognard par excellence Scribidinous for his assistance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo El Dorado
United States
Portland
wannabeinhawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Duglis (#18085),
KayBee toys sells a miniatures set of Japanese monsters, Godzilla, Mothra, rodan, etc for 15.00 They average about 3-4 inches. I think they also have mechgodzilla and radioactive godzilla. Just going off of a memory of a quick glance so I may be in error. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Gomez
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the Kaybee set, and it should work good. Only at this point it is only available at the outlet stores.
There are also Super Deformed Godzilla et. al. figures which would probably work better available on Ebay and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.