Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I shouldn't be asking this I shouldn't be asking this I have enough games I don't need any right now I shouldn't be asking this...

Hey everyone! This is more of a curiosity but also a question I've had. I know there are a ton of big name designers out there: Reiner Knizia, Stefan Feld, Vlaada Chvatil, Uwe Rosenberg, etc. (there's definitely others). Well, of these, I have 2 Rosenbergs and I think 5 Chvatils. (Agricola, Le Havre, Tash Kalar, Mage Knight, Space Alert, Pictomania, Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition). That said, I've left a lot of popular designers alone. So here's the deal: if you were to pick one game from each of those big, prolific designers that should be in anyone's collection, what would it be?

I'll start it off with a short list:

Rosenberg: Agricola (I prefer Le Havre way more, but Agricola is the more classic and simpler of the 2.)

Vlaada: Space Alert (Although a) I love all of them and b) I haven't actually played Galaxy Trucker yet.)

And of course the reason why this is on the Recommendations thread is because I would love to see what others consider as the essentials of the big names (and potentially procure some of these for myself). And with a sampling of some of the best, perhaps I'll find another favorite designer and go buy tons of their games!

And I'm interested in hearing each person's opinion of what they think is best, not their opinion on why others are wrong.

Edited Title for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Best Games from the Best Designers
Input from all BGG users is already available: choose a designer, go to their designer page, sort games by rank.

What would be cool is if BGG had rankings for designers themselves. Maybe either ranked according to their highest ranked game. Or the bayesian average of all ratings for all their games, or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but I'm looking at games that give the best feel for how a designer's games play, while maybe being a little lighter. For example, of the ones I know, I doubt Through the Ages should be your first Vlaada, or that Caverna should be your first Uwe.

I'm looking at more entry level here.

Edit: I'm also looking for a list of designers to consider as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so it sounds like you're looking for the most accessible game by each designer, rather than "one game from each of those big, prolific designers that should be in anyone's collection" or "essentials of the big names". TTA was my first Vlaada, and probably still the one I'd recommend for anyone interested in getting a representative feel for his designs, and certainly the most essential Vlaada. But if you're shooting for more steping-stone type games, then I guess that's a different matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bowling
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My bad- I realize that I didn't quite represent this as best as I could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, the best Feld to start with is The Castles of Burgundy.

I would guess the essential intro to Martin Wallace might be Steam/Railways of the World.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the idea of the thread but there really is NO "intero" game for Vlaada Chvaatil. His games are SO SO SO varied, it's a nonsense. Same for Antoine Bauza to a lesser extent. You aren't ever going to "get" either of there style from just one. Rosenberg / Feld / Wallace, yeah sure.
Gamemanue wrote:
I would guess the essential intro to Martin Wallace might be Steam/Railways of the World.

Well on the "intro" side it *has* to be Discworld: Ankh-Morpork

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
msg tools
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:

Not a great recommendation since it is out of print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Void2258 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:

It's still readily available currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grandy
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are so lucky for today I introduce you to Matthias Cramer and the Dynamic Duo of Michael Kiesling and Wolfgang Kramer.

Matthias Cramer - Glen More

Michael Kiesling / Wolfgang Kramer - Asara is a nice "into" game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Travel Blog still gets overlooked as one of Vlaada's best, most entertaining light-family games. I still keep it on my shelf and enjoy it from time to time. It's a fun little geography game that makes people go crazy when they guess wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Void2258 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:

I also don't think this game represents the Martin Wallace brand well either. It's a bit more chaotic than most his games. If you want a relatively simple, medium-weight game to introduce people to the nuances of Mr. Wallace's games. I'd say the best game for that is

Tinners' Trail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a quick list:

Martin Wallace --> Tinners' Trail
Wolfgang Kramer --> El Grande
Michael Kiesling --> Vikings
Uwe Rosenberg --> Bohnanza
Vlaada Chvatil --> Dungeon Pets
Stefan Feld --> Notre Dame
Dr. Knizia --> Samurai
Antoine Bauza --> Takenoko
Mac Gerdts --> Navegador
Bruno Faidutti --> Citadels
Francis Tresham --> 1830 (hardly an intro game for the average person)
Richard Garfield --> King of Tokyo
Sid Sackson --> Acquire
Klaus Teuber --> The Settlers of Catan
Karl-Heinz Schmiel --> St. Petersburg
Friedemann Friese --> Power Grid
Vital Lacerda --> The Gallerist (he professes is his lightest, besides Dragon Keepers)
Andreas Seyfarth --> Thurn & Taxis

[edit] Added game links.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Eklund~>Pax Porfiriana
Martin Wallace~>Age of Steam
Chad Jensen~>Dominant Species
Francis Tresham~>Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648
Ed Beach~>Here I Stand

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
Pax? AoS? pretty damn sure you missed the point of the thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Void2258 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Gamemanue wrote:

I also don't think this game represents the Martin Wallace brand well either. It's a bit more chaotic than most his games. If you want a relatively simple, medium-weight game to introduce people to the nuances of Mr. Wallace's games. I'd say the best game for that is

Tinners' Trail.
yes, for "classic" Wallace, that's a good choice, but more recently his gone slightly crazier. Bulk of his back catalogue though, yes I'm with you. And a great game to hoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

How so?

Miller4h9 wrote:

And of course the reason why this is on the Recommendations thread is because I would love to see what others consider as the essentials of the big names (and potentially procure some of these for myself). And with a sampling of some of the best, perhaps I'll find another favorite designer and go buy tons of their games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
[q="thedacker"][q="TheRocketSurgeon"][q="Void2258"][q="TheRocketSurgeon"]yes, for "classic" Wallace, that's a good choice, but more recently his gone slightly crazier. Bulk of his back catalogue though, yes I'm with you. And a great game to hoot.

I'm curious what you mean by crazier. Do you consider that good or bad, or just different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Here's a quick list:

Martin Wallace --> Tinners' Trail
Wolfgang Kramer --> El Grande
Michael Kiesling --> Vikings
Uwe Rosenberg --> Bohnanza
Vlaada Chvatil --> Dungeon Pets
Stefan Feld --> Notre Dame
Dr. Knizia --> Samurai
Antoine Bauza --> Takenoko
Mac Gerdts --> Navegador
Bruno Faidutti --> Citadels
Francis Tresham --> 1830 (hardly an intro game for the average person)
Richard Garfield --> King of Tokyo
Sid Sackson --> Acquire
Klaus Teuber --> The Settlers of Catan
Karl-Heinz Schmiel --> St. Petersburg
Friedemann Friese --> Power Grid
Vital Lacerda --> The Gallerist (he professes is his lightest, besides Dragon Keepers)
Andreas Seyfarth --> Thurn & Taxis

[edit] Added game links.

Nice list!

Some games I'd personally change:

Seyfarth --> Puerto Rico (not harder than many others in the list and definitly his masterpiece)
Mac Gerdts --> Concordia
Bauza --> 7 Wonders (by far his biggest success)
Chavtil --> Galaxy Trucker

Maybe add:
Matthias Cramer --> Lancaster
Richard Breese --> Keyflower
William Attia --> Caylus
Donald X. Vaccarino --> Dominion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
[q="thedacker"][q="TheRocketSurgeon"][q="Void2258"][q="TheRocketSurgeon"]yes, for "classic" Wallace, that's a good choice, but more recently his gone slightly crazier. Bulk of his back catalogue though, yes I'm with you. And a great game to hoot.

I'm curious what you mean by crazier. Do you consider that good or bad, or just different?
I mean more modern, glossy, unpredictable and more conventionally "fun" I guess. Compare A Study in Emerald to Brass or Struggle of Empires. He started using more mechanisms seen in other modern games, deck building, hidden roles etc. Broadly I think I prefer the older stuff. Hopeful that Ships will hark back to 5+ years ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesgocrazy wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

How so?

Miller4h9 wrote:

But then he said this:

Miller4h9 wrote:
True, but I'm looking at games that give the best feel for how a designer's games play, while maybe being a little lighter. For example, of the ones I know, I doubt Through the Ages should be your first Vlaada, or that Caverna should be your first Uwe.

I'm looking at more entry level here.

Edit: I'm also looking for a list of designers to consider as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceTrucker wrote:

Some games I'd personally change:

Seyfarth --> Puerto Rico (not harder than many others in the list and definitly his masterpiece)
Mac Gerdts --> Concordia
Bauza --> 7 Wonders (by far his biggest success)

For clarification, I wasn't naming each designers "best" or "most successful" designs. I was naming the best "intro" or "entry level" games from among their designs (as the title and OP of the thread requests).

In the case of Sayfarth and Bauza, Thurn & Taxis and Takenoko are the better intro games, IMO.

I can't say for Gerdts because I haven't played Concordia yet (I really want to). But I know Navegador is the best option from among those I have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.