18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Lord of the Rings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick LaTona
msg tools
Hey everybody,

I'm pretty new to this site, but I have to say that you all have built quite the informative community here. This is why I'm hoping to tap into some of your knowledge today with a pretty simple question:

What do you recommend for LOTR themed games?

I'm a fairly novice board gamer, but I've tried my hands at few such as Dominion, Ascension and Lords of Waterdeep - all of which I loved!

My girlfriend and I want to play something together, but are sort of lost in the sheer number of LOTR games out there. We would prefer something in the midrange of complexity and price (I don't want to spend $100 and also have to purchase expansions). We are open to card games, miniatures, standard board games, etc. just really want it to be LOTR themed!

I've seen a few lists out there mention War of the Rings, but it seems hard to find and very expensive to purchase.

Again we are open to anything. Just wanted to start this thread so we have a place to ask you all questions! Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If you can grab a copy of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (or the deluxe edition) then I would highly recommend it as a 2-player game. The gameplay is very simple - it's like Stratego where you are moving hidden pieces, but with a great deal of asymmetry between the light/dark sides. Plays quickly, has relatively easy rules, and gets better the more you play against the same opponent due to bluff/double-bluff type situations.

There are several other good Lord of the Rings games, but I'll leave others to chime in on those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Jo
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

You really must check that one out, especially for two player enjoyment.. except, I'm sorry, it does have many many expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but everything I have read says War of the Ring (Second Edition) is phenomenal. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Mansfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Matthew 10: 29-31
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:
If you can grab a copy of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (or the deluxe edition) then I would highly recommend it as a 2-player game. The gameplay is very simple - it's like Stratego where you are moving hidden pieces, but with a great deal of asymmetry between the light/dark sides. Plays quickly, has relatively easy rules, and gets better the more you play against the same opponent due to bluff/double-bluff type situations.

There are several other good Lord of the Rings games, but I'll leave others to chime in on those.

I second this....great game with good mechanics, theme and strategy. The deluxe version is a bit bigger, but the regular sized one is great too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring (Second Edition), while getting close to that $100 max price range of yours IS phenomenal. Check out Fraser MacKenzie's WONDERFUL review as it says everything you need to hear concerning the game's presence and narrative/emotional feel.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. Don't worry about the deluxe edition (as it's too expensive for what it offers). Theme and gameplay really shine and it's got so much replay and variant value built within the single box.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is a co-op game that, while not complex, can offer some really interesting choices in pre-gameplay deck building and it's a great 2-player co-op experience. But be warned, and has been stated, there are a LOT of expansions. But they're each very cheap (you can find them for less than $10 through various retailers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hall
United Kingdom
Hemel Hempstead
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
papagamer72 wrote:
I haven't played it, but everything I have read says War of the Ring (Second Edition) is phenomenal. meeple

I second this, this really is an amazing game! However, it's pretty complex, I'd suggest doing some reading about it first. There are numerous videos you can watch about it and you can download the rulebook to have a read too.

If you're prepared to put in the time and effort, this really is a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick LaTona
msg tools
lindelos wrote:
War of the Ring (Second Edition), while getting close to that $100 max price range of yours IS phenomenal. Check out Fraser MacKenzie's WONDERFUL review as it says everything you need to hear concerning the game's presence and narrative/emotional feel.

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. Don't worry about the deluxe edition (as it's too expensive for what it offers). Theme and gameplay really shine and it's got so much replay and variant value built within the single box.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is a co-op game that, while not complex, can offer some really interesting choices in pre-gameplay deck building and it's a great 2-player co-op experience. But be warned, and has been stated, there are a LOT of expansions. But they're each very cheap (you can find them for less than $10 through various retailers).

I am definitely going to look into War of the Ring. I have seen a lot of people list it as the best LOTR game. Seems like Amazon has it for around $67 too. Is this the correct game? http://www.amazon.com/War-The-Ring-2nd-Edition/dp/1903385113...

As for Confrontation, I'll probably look into that as well seeing as it's a cheap option and quick to learn/play.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game though worries me. I've heard the base game isn't as good as it should be and that expansions are essential. Is this true? If so, which expansion would you suggest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almightymints wrote:

My girlfriend and I want to play something together, but are sort of lost in the sheer number of LOTR games out there. We would prefer something in the midrange of complexity and price (I don't want to spend $100 and also have to purchase expansions). We are open to card games, miniatures, standard board games, etc. just really want it to be LOTR themed!

I recommend Lord of the Rings. Here's why.

- It's a cooperative game. Each player is a hobbit with specific skills/capabilities, so you play together against the game.

- It can be played by 2-5 players. If you and your girlfriend like it, you can introduce friends to it.

- It's very rich in theme, which focuses more on the amazing quest than the warring.

- The artwork was done by the art director of the LotR films.

- It has several expansions that allow you to add depth and/or complexity to the basic game as you desire. For example, the Lord of the Rings: Battlefields adds combat rules. The Lord of the Rings: Sauron expansion allows one player to be Sauron against the other(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
War of the Ring will be reprinted soon. I expect that it is not likely that this game will ever go OOP for extended periods of time, it's just too good a seller.

So I would advise you to be patient. In the meantime, you can play some of the other games and get your gaming chops up. By the time WotR becomes available again in a short while, you'll be much more ready for games that are a little more complex. (EDIT: Bill made a great suggestion. LotR is easily obtainable and seats more than 2 players. A very good game)

WotR is hands down the best game on Middle Earth ever published. It is, however, not necessarily for everyone. Many people find it long and complex, relatively speaking.

I find it pretty quick and not very difficult, though, so YMMV. Honestly, my gaming partner and I found it very smooth and routine after 2 or 3 games. At any rate, it is worth the effort and time. If you like it, then have a look at The Battle of Five Armies, which is mostly in the same vein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

- It's a cooperative game. Each player is a hobbit with specific skills/capabilities, so you play together against the game.

- It can be played by 2-5 players. If you and your girlfriend like it, you can introduce friends to it.

- It's very rich in theme, which focuses more on the amazing quest than the warring.

- It has several expansions that allow you to add depth and/or complexity to the basic game as you desire. For example, the Lord of the Rings: Battlefields adds combat rules. The Lord of the Rings: Sauron expansion allows one player to be Sauron against the other(s).

Agree. Our group that usually only plays wargames even loves this one. We haven't played Sauron, but we've played with the other expansions. They can be mixed and matched in any way, and the "vanilla" game works great too.

My recommendation if you get the expansions for the best game.
Play with the 2 extra boards, but without the rule about skipping boards, and don't do the "foes", just leave the "discard 2 symbols" as discarding two cards, and use the extra Gandalf powers and the special once-a-game powers for each hobbit.

Minor variant rule proposal: instead of ties for ring tokens passing the One Ring to the left, the first tiebreaker is Frodo gets the ring if he's one of the one's tied for the most ring tokens, and if not him, then Sam gets it. Just makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am definitely going to look into War of the Ring. I have seen a lot of people list it as the best LOTR game. Seems like Amazon has it for around $67 too. Is this the correct game? http://www.amazon.com/War-The-Ring-2nd-Edition/dp/1903385113...

That is the correct game for War of the Ring. It is a good price on amazon. I would suggest you watch the Ricky Royal play through to see if you would like playing it. Link:https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5UyaJ4tfEqx3vTZ0bRacJFScx39KNeXI

It is my favorite game of all time so I am biased when I recommend it.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I find Lord of the Rings to be very unthematic. I would say you should consider War of the Ring (Second Edition) as being perfect for two players, though it is very much a wargame. Also thematic is The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, which has the bonus of being played solo or two player cooperative. While it does have a gazillion expansions, you really don't need much more than a core box and whichever line of quests that you are most interested in. Personally, I would think that one core plus the two Hobbit boxes would make for a good time, but I like dwarves so there's that.

Right now you can find the core alone on Ebay for $25 with shipping included:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Or a huge bundle of used cards which may or may not end around $100 or so:
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick LaTona
msg tools
Eldard wrote:
Almightymints wrote:

Are there any video reviews or gameplay videos you'd suggest for this one? I'd like to see it in action before I make a decision!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to build a list that might answer your questions: Everything Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Middle Earth in one list!.

So far I've only purchased Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation. Actually, not this version, but the second edition which is very similar. I like it quite a lot!

I hope this gives you good information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree that War of the Ring (Second Edition) absolutely does the best job of capturing LOTR, but I am afraid it is not much of an intro game. I would still recommend it though, as it is great with two. It's sister game The Battle of Five Armies I think is a little more accessible, but lacks the epic scale.

Another game not mentioned yet is Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition (Trilogy edition is much better). This is actually a pretty fun implementation of Risk, but has a very strong Lord of the Rings feel. One player the "Evil" side trying to wipe out the other. It can be found used for fairly cheap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brain
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And another vote for the Knizia "original" Lord of the Rings (which for years was my only 10-rated game on here.) One of the great things about it is that it is tremendously easy to modify without the game breaking, making it steadily harder and harder as you get better and better at it.
(I recommend it with both Friends and Foes and Battlefields but I think that only the Dark Tiles from Sauron are worth adding from that expansion.)

However, it's worth noting (as mentioned in this thread already) that some people find it amazingly thematic (I'm one), and others can't see the theme at all. It's possible that you may be one of the latter...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldard wrote:

I rather like this game, but some consider the gameplay to be too abstract or random. Watch some reviews if cooperative gaming appeals to you - the fact that you work as a team to defeat evil instead of fighting against each other is a huge draw for me (and felt very appropriate for Lord of the Rings).

Edit - fixing quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.