Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking into buying Village. I really like the theme and the mechanics sound pretty neat. However, I keep hearing about how the die-fast strategy is too powerful. I don't want a game where there is a dominant strategy, even if an "experienced" player can counter it. It's unlikely we'll get 100 plays out of it, as we're more casual type and probably play a handful of times per year. I want a fun game and not chess where we have to analyze and plan 10 steps ahead because someone is using an overpowered strategy. It's kind of the reason I've shied away from Puerto Rico.

So is this a problem with any casual players? Do the expansions help? I appreciate any insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no dominant strategy. The key is make sure no one is dominating any particular aspect of the village. The obvious corollary to that is to focus on areas where no one else is active!

I tend to find that my strategy changes a couple of times during the course of a game of Village, since players are constantly reacting to what is happening around them.

I've played both Village Inn and Port, and the former really adds some randomness to the game; not so much with Port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Heisey
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't feel there is one dominant strategy. I say buy it. It's solid, and a nice, fresh take on some tried and true mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost the opposite - there seems to be no particularly dominant strategy, although the market seems to be the most important element of the game, and everyone ends up doing a bit of everything. I'd say it's more tactical than strategic.

For me, it can get a bit samey (after a dozen plays), although it varies with different player counts. For a handful of plays a year it shouldn't be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Extremely well balanced game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lovely game that is oft requested at my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Mayes
United States
Litchfield Park
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the posters here, this is a fantastic game with many different avenues to victory. I love the game, and would play it anytime I get a chance. I recently got both expansions and would definitely recommend Inn. I enjoy Port as well but if only getting one Inn adds a lot more, plus there's a 5th player in there, which is great!

I really don't think you'll be disappointed with this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Port is almost needed (giving you personalized goals), and Port is good for thematic variation (I like sending my little seminarians to be hermits on desert islands).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Booth
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Stone
United Kingdom
Epsom, East Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
IS NICE, I LIKE
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to hijack here, but I am also considering getting this, but for me it's this vs. Viticulture, and it would be mostly for 2-player games...Could anyone recommend? Anyone played both with just 2-players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the answers, guys! I feel better about this game and will put back on my wishlist.

Hijack away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
steelchampion wrote:
Sorry to hijack here, but I am also considering getting this, but for me it's this vs. Viticulture, and it would be mostly for 2-player games...Could anyone recommend? Anyone played both with just 2-players?

Half an answer: while I love Viticulture, Village is the much better game. Sadly, I've only played Village with 2-players (which was great!), never 2-player Viticulture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Village plays just fine with 2. I've only played Viticulture with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddie M.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steelchampion wrote:

Also only a half answer: I'd say Viticulture plays much better with 3/4 than it does with 2. [Haven't played Village.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.