Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexei Gartinski
Jordan
Amman
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Waterloo, 18 June 2015
As seen from Napoleon’s perspective, behind the French lines...

The French opened up at 11am by advancing two line divisions with Attack Right (3) card towards Papelotte. A diversion? In the meantime The British advanced their cavalry in the center with Attack Center (3)... Getting ready for a Cavalry Charge?

The French under Reille’s command move “en masse” against Hougomont with Assault Left (All) card. French horse artillery moves into position and immediately opens fire on the farm, inflicting the first casualty in the battle on the defenders. History repeated?

The British launch a Grand Manouvre! 4 units move 4 hexes. The Guard Grenadiers reinforce Hougomont, and Belgians suddenly emerge from the forest devant Papellotte... Surprise!

French opposite Hougomont Fire and Hold, inflicting heavy casualties at British Guard Grenadiers and Light Brigades. The accurate and deadly fire form the French Horse Artillery routs the Dutch back to the forest...

The Grand Battery on the French right flank fires but misses badly. Too muddy still?.. No, the new salvo (I forgot to add one extra die!) disorganizes the Dutch who retreat behind the ridge...

The English Force March the badly battered Light and Guard Grenadier Brigades out of the range of French musketry. A fresh Dutch brigade occupies Hougomont...

The French launch an Assault Right with all their units, clearing the forest of the Belgians (the first Allied casualty!) and taking Papelotte! The French artillery fires at Picton’s division, causing two casualties, but the old man lives...

The English Probe Right (2). Artillery shoots to no effect. The demoralized Light Infantry retreats behind the ridge. The French score the flag for the control of Papelotte, making the score 2-0 for the French... Napoleon responds by Force Marching d’Erlon’s division forward, closely followed by Old Guard. History repeats itself again? The Guards' drums roll...

The British and nor impressed and launch a devastating Fire and Hold salvo from the ridge. One French Line brigade is almost destroyed, another retreats...

But that does not discourage the French. D’Erlon launches his troups into a deadly Bayonet Charge. And not any troops... This time Napopleon did not wait. The Old Guard itself attacks La Haye Sainte!

When the smoke dissipates... Picton’s division is destroyed, but the old man quickly assumes command of the nearby Dutch positioned behind the ridge. The ridge is almost in French hands, the lonely British artillery barely holds. Old Guard nearly takes La haye Sainte. But the French forces are severely depleted too...

The English counterattack now with Attack Center (3) The Dutch brigades supported by British Artillery re-take part of the ridge. 2 French divisions are destroyed. D’Erlon barely escapes. But La Haye Sainte is almost lost for the British...

The French decide to Give Them (the British) Cold Steel. French Old Guard takes La Haye Sainte. 5-2 to the French. Then French Line Infantry finishes off the remains of the British Artillery on the ridge... 6-2 to the French. After just barely a few hours of fighting...

Time for the British to exercise some Leadership... The Dutch brigade lead by “invulnerable” Picton takes back the rough ground next to La Haye Sainte. Perponcher moves his unit up the ridge, Hill “regroups” (does nothing)

With the Probe Center (2) card the French prepare for the imminent Cavalry Charge. The Guard and Cuirassier heavies move into position. Marshal Ney is ready to repeat history...

Picton’s Dutch wipe out the French Line infantry with Attack Centre (3), British Heavy Cavalry gets the order to get ready for a charge... The score is 6-3 to the French.

Now is the time for the final French push on Hougomont with Attack Left (3) card. A salvo hits Guard Cavalry, but neither French fire nor the assault by the French Light manage to inflict any casualties on the valiant Belgian defenders of the Chateau...

The English cannot wait any longer! Cavalry Charge! The lone French square heroically repulses British Heavies...

...but the valliant Guards destroy half of the French cuirassiers, the other half perish while fleeing the battlefield...

The Guards pursue, once again attack the French square, lose half of the riders but manage to get through the French bayonets... 6-4 to the French... A disaster!! But British Guards suffered heavy casualties too...

Now is the time for the French Guard Cavalry to show what they are made of! Another Cavalry Charge! With 7 dice to roll whatever is left of the British Life Guards bites the dust... 7-4 to the French, 1 more unit to kill and Europe will never be the same!

Guard Cavalry advances after combat. Two hits and a flag rolled on British Heavies... But a pursuit attack barely misses the last British unit to be destroyed to claim Napoleon’s victory, arrgggh!

The moment of truth for the British! To go down in glory with the last Cavalry Charge or to try and slowly grind the French offensive to a halt with Probe Center? Wellington chooses prudence. With Probe Center (2) he takes the left-overs of Guard Cavalry out of the harm way. The Dutch infantry then attacks French Guard Cavalry who retire and reform...

It’s now or never! The French launch a massive final Assault Center (All)! The Guard Artillery takes up positions on the ridge, while the d’Erlon takes his battered division down the ridge. The Light Cavalry pursues the retreating British. The Guard Heavies attacks the Dutch bombarded simultaneously by French Artillery. Old Guard fires at British Light Cavalry...

The accurate artillery fire decimates the Dutch and the French Guard cavalry rides them down... 8-4 to the French.

The British retreat. The Prussians never made it to the battlefield. 200 years later Napoleon finally prevails! At least until my next replay of C&CN Waterloo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugo Soares
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this wonderful AAR, this game is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice play by play report

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfram Troeder
Germany
Bruchkoebel
Hessen
flag msg tools
Boardgaming is not a matter of life or death...
badge
...it's much more important than that!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vive l'Empereur! La garde meurt mais ne se rend pas!
This is one session report I regret not Geekmodding! It would have passed with flying colors eagles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serre combe olivier
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Nice AAR !!
Thanks you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Laporte
France
Limeil-Brevannes
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
Very nicely done, if I do AAR, I'll try and do it your way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much and congratulations!. THIS IS SIMPLY THE BEST AAR I HAVE EVER SEEN IN BGG, and a very well played battle.
This hard fought French victory left them so shattered that Prussian arrival from the rear and (French)right flank would most probably have ruined them...

I participated recently in the 200th anniversary reenectment at Waterloo, with near 6.000 fellow reenactors (French side, D´Erlon attack
and repeated assaults to Hougomont). Your excellent AAR is almost like being there!.

Gabriel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff miller
United States
West Jefferson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just Superb! I look forward to seeing more of your write ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I like your session report format, I might adopt it for my Le Grande Campaign Challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.