Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting a WIP for Tiny Tin Titan: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1420658/wip-mint-tin-titan-m...

Just ideas and brainstorming for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
It may be a daft question but: does anyone know of a brand/supplier of correct size mint tin that's easy (& cheap!) to get in the UK?

EDIT: Made it easier when I found out that the tin is the size of Altoid mint tin - after that ebay sorted me out.

Yeah, I thought it was kind of silly not just to use the word Altoids instead of beating around the bush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Name: Cthultoids (or The Mint Tin of Cthulhu)
Designer: Judgement Dave
Overview: Race against other cultists to make sure that the stars are right to bring forth Great Cthulhu.
Suggested Play Time: ??? Not too short but not too long, hopefully it's like Goldilocks and the three shuggoths
Components: 126 cards, 6 6-sided dice, rules

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1421989/wip-cthultoids-or-m...

The Altoids I ordered arrived this afternoon, and as it's H P Lovecraft's birthday I thought I ought to try thinking up a Cthulhoid game. I failed four SAN rolls on the trot and came up with this game.

There's nothing to download yet, as my prototype is 10% printed, 90% drawn onto the cards, but thought it's time to put up a post/thread for my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:

I'm curious to see how you'll put 126 cards and 6 dice in a Tin :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

And tweezers to use the dice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
courtjus wrote:
JudgementDave wrote:

The cards are about 51mm x 34mm and printed on 200gsm card. That fits nicely (with decent margins) as 21 cards (7x3) on a sheet of A4. So currently it's 126 cards as that's 6 sheets full.

The cards fit into the tin in two stacks with the long side perpendicular to the tins long side.

Currently it's one stack of 96 cards, with the remaining 30 cards in the second stack next to them with the 15mm dice on top of the second stack. It's fits nicely with what I think should be enough spare room for a sheet of A5 paper printed with the rules.

Believe me that the first thing I did after thinking up the base idea was to decide on a prototype card size and print 6 sheets of blank cards to cut & check that they would fit!

I believe that there's enough slack in the cards that, if necessary, I can jiggle the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Progress has been made! Rules and Components are available for Tiny Tin Titan.It's not the final "tin" version yet (it will definitely fit in a tin though), but this will be good enough for now (as it is you use the tin as a screen to hide the weak point selection - no magnets needed yet).

Tiny Tin Titan Components

Tiny Tin Titan Rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:
It was fun! Thanks for the opportunity Peter. If I find some more free time, I would love to do it again.

On another note, I've been trying to figure out the best size cards and tiles to use for this contest. Here is a helpful guide I found from the The Game Crafter.

It looks like the business, mini, and micro cards would fit. Bridge cards might be a little tight. I think they offer small tiles and other components that might work too.

I have been meaning to do this for ages!!

TWO QUESTIONS:

So what is the best card size for the box?

Do BRIDGE cards fit?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
The interior of the tin is:

Inner: 2.24" (56.9mm) x 3.6"(91.5mm)
Corner radius .55" (14mm)

Bridge cards are 2.25 x 3.5, and so wouldn't fit even if the tin was fully square. They definitely won't fit with the rounded corners.

Mini cards fit easily, Biz probably fits (they are thin enough that the rounded corners won't be a problem for the length).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Blaske
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used Biz for my game, and they fit just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A good quick start to a very very simple family friendly game (with gorgeous art planned for release next year - half joking). Anyway, lets see how it is received.
[WIP] BOREAL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for joining us Charles! I've updated the 1st post in this thread with all of the latest entries. Please let me know if I missed anyone. Up to 12 entries so far with a little over a month left!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb S
United States
Forsyth
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avalanche
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
It is interesting to see the 3 most recent entries are all from 3 new users (accounts created within days of one and other), with 3 designers working on each. Coincidence or not, welcome to the contest and good luck to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the new users are students from my Game Design class at Bradley University. For a long time I've wanted to incorporate one of the BGG design contests into my class, and this is the semester when I've finally done so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Wow! That's great Ethan. I'm glad to hear that you were able to incorporate this contest into your game design class. Any reasons in particular for doing so or did the timing work out well? Would love to learn about your philosophy, methods, and approaches to game design. Sounds like a very fun class to take.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing is good in that the deadline is around our mid-terms, so I could spend a few weeks introducing some fundamental concepts and still give the students a decent amount of time to work on the project. It's also helpful that the contest allows for teams, so I can make this a group project (and also not swamp the contest with entries from my students).

My students are video game design majors, but I always have my Game Design 1 course focus on tabletop game design. When beginning students try to make a video game, design always ends up taking a back seat to just getting the thing programmed & working. Making tabletop games allows us to really focus on the mechanics of the game (rather than the computer implementation of them). If you'll forgive some shameless self-promotion, I actually just had a book hit the bookstores last week that I wrote to be a textbook for game design courses that take this sort of approach: Tabletop Game Design for Video Game Designers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Our Game's link
Here's the link to our game's thread:
Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rodriguez-Hand
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Scavenge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
simenzo wrote:
The timing is good in that the deadline is around our mid-terms, so I could spend a few weeks introducing some fundamental concepts and still give the students a decent amount of time to work on the project. It's also helpful that the contest allows for teams, so I can make this a group project (and also not swamp the contest with entries from my students).

My students are video game design majors, but I always have my Game Design 1 course focus on tabletop game design. When beginning students try to make a video game, design always ends up taking a back seat to just getting the thing programmed & working. Making tabletop games allows us to really focus on the mechanics of the game (rather than the computer implementation of them). If you'll forgive some shameless self-promotion, I actually just had a book hit the bookstores last week that I wrote to be a textbook for game design courses that take this sort of approach: Tabletop Game Design for Video Game Designers.
I'd love to know how many female students are in your class. I remember being one of four (vastly outnumbered by guys) when I got my Game Art and Design degree in 2010...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

I'd love to know how many female students are in your class. I remember being one of four (vastly outnumbered by guys) when I got my Game Art and Design degree in 2010...

I have twelve students in this class, one of whom is a woman. That's pretty representative of the female/male ratio of our Game Design majors. Our Animation majors (which includes students interested in game animation) is doing better in this regard... about 40% of those majors are female.

Our game program is headed up by Dr. Monica McGill. She's done a great job of building the program into what it is today (Bradley University is #13 on the Princeton Reviews ranking of U.S. game programs). I know she's very interested in improving the numbers of under represented groups in our student body. Any suggestions would be welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More competition, more games, and *fingers crossed* more playtesters.

Good thing the games in the competition are small, hopefully I won't run out of room laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
simenzo wrote:
Our game program is headed up by Dr. Monica McGill. She's done a great job of building the program into what it is today (Bradley University is #13 on the Princeton Reviews ranking of U.S. game programs). I know she's very interested in improving the numbers of under represented groups in our student body. Any suggestions would be welcome!
The main one that sticks in my mind is to have some female faculty for the Game Program - I know at my school we had three female teachers that covered various classes for the game design degree. Having someone in that position who is able to talk to students and let them know they can do it is pretty important. Aside from that, I'd say have a handy list of female designers/artists/writers/etc... who worked on games, if only to show that while we might be a minority, it doesn't mean that we can't do it.

And now that I know these new entrants are students, that means no-holds-barred on the feedback for their games! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Adams
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Here's a link to our game, Galva:
Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in:

"Iron Infantry", 2015 Mint Tin Design Contest....Contest Ready

Looking forward to some feedback from some of you, and looking forward to learning more about other submitted games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] |