Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mundungus wrote:
(I couldn't figure out how to modify the name of an existing thread.)

Just edit the original post. When you do, you can edit the "Subject" line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

It looks like I won't be able to get mintball into any finished shape in time for the contest deadline. So I'm going to have to withdraw it. Good luck everyone I'll definitely be trying to check out everything and will certainly be voting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nyles Breecher
United States
Milwaukee
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey all, here's my WIP thread for Bribes and Bounties, my intended entry into the contest: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1463588/wip-bribes-and-boun...

I'd like to go more in depth about things, but it's pretty late for now. I really just wanted to put what I had out there before I go to bed (it's now 5:00am for me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
vialick wrote:
It looks like I won't be able to get mintball into any finished shape in time for the contest deadline. So I'm going to have to withdraw it. Good luck everyone I'll definitely be trying to check out everything and will certainly be voting.

Sorry to hear that Douglas. Thank you for your participation so far! Feedback and voting are definitely appreciated as well.

nbreecher wrote:
Hey all, here's my WIP thread for Bribes and Bounties, my intended entry into the contest: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1463588/wip-bribes-and-boun...

I'd like to go more in depth about things, but it's pretty late for now. I really just wanted to put what I had out there before I go to bed (it's now 5:00am for me).

Hi Nyles. Thanks for joining us and welcome to the show!

As a reminder, the contest entries are due tomorrow night at midnight (Eastern Time). I have updated the entry list. Please let me know if I should make any changes.

Good luck everybody and make sure to have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Estill
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I believe our game Kill or Be Killed (previously The Hunt) is now finished as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hinshaw

Fairfiled
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Ready and I'm in.
Breakfast Bonanza: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20785700#20785700
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Hello Josh and Brian! Thank you for the update and thanks for joining us Brian. I've updated the entry list to reflect this.

Robin and I just posted the contest files for Giant Space Bugs as well - with about 12 hours left to spare!

Thanks again for everyone who has participated. It's been a fun ride!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leo shaw
msg tools
good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
19 entries and the deadline has passed!

I encourage everyone to test out as many of the designs as you can, to read the rules and WIP threads, and to view the PNP files prior to voting. Please continue to offer feedback and suggestions during and after voting as well.

I will put up a link to the online voting form soon. All registered BGG members are encouraged to vote. 1st place votes receive 3 points, 2nd place votes receive 2 points, and 3rd place votes receive 1 point.

1 Best Overall Design
2 Most Creative
3 Best Theme
4 Best Artwork & Design
5 Best Written Rules

Thank you for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats to everyone who finished their game in time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how long the BGG approval process takes, but do you guys mind if I try to create a "Mint Tin Contest Participant" microbadge for all of us contributors?

Here it is a little bigger:

Please vote for it and add any comments you may have here:

(go to page 442, not sure how to link direct to my post)
Microbadge Submissions, Design, and Feedback

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
Not sure how long the BGG approval process takes, but do you guys mind if I try to create a "Mint Tin Contest Participant" microbadge for all of us contributors?

That would be great! Thank you Scott!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
The voting page is now live. The deadline to vote is November 30th.

Vote Here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Never voted for a contest that I had an entry in.

Is there a gentleman's (and ladies') agreement that you don't vote for own?

Just asking. I don't want to be the dweeb that votes for his own game if that is a no-no.

My personal opinion is that if it is a well deserved vote, and not just stuffing the ballot box for your game, that it's fine. But as a relative newcomer, just want to see what the norm is.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Riverton
UT
flag msg tools
designer
If given the option, I would prefer to play with the green pieces, please.
badge
I have two new 9 Card Games: 300 Spartans and Franky's 1st Christmas
mbmbmbmbmb
I think designers are welcome to vote in any contest. I know some designers have voted for their own games in the Solo contest. I don't think that's a big deal at all as long it's an honest vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
There are no restrictions on which designs you may vote for. Just try to make sure you vote for games that deserve it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
chansen2794 wrote:
I think designers are welcome to vote in any contest. I know some designers have voted for their own games in the Solo contest. I don't think that's a big deal at all as long it's an honest vote.

Sounds good. I agree.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been giving this quite a bit of thought because my class of 12 students have submitted four games to the contest. I don't want us to skew the results (I don't know how many votes these contests tend to get--perhaps 12 votes is just noise?) by stuffing the ballot box. We're going to print up all the games that have been submitted and look at them all. My natural tendency would be to have us critique the games as a class, but I won't do that in this case so that they'll make their own judgments to bring to the voting booth. I'm going to urge my students not to vote for their own game... and I'll definitely ask them not to favor games that came from our class.

Does that sound okay to everyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks Ethan. I'm really glad your class participated in this contest. I hope it has been a fun learning experience for them.

I will leave this decision up to your best judgement. I think most people here agree that it's okay to vote for your own design (or your classmates in this case) as long as you believe it's deserving of a vote. The teams could also vote together or vote for other designs as you mentioned. Any registered BGG member can vote (and designers aren't required to).

I do think that the critiques from your class could definitely help some of the designers here and I would encourage you to post feedback publically or privately.

Again - thank you for your participation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

My opinion only...
The stakes of this contest are relatively low (100 GG), so I am not too worried about a conspiracy from your class.

And, I would be thrilled to get a couple sentences of feedback from each voting student or group of students.

So, again my opinion only, if you feel bad about the potential of "stuffing the ballot box", ask each student to critique each game and (I would say privately through geekmail) provide the feedback to the designer. I don't think anyone would complain about any type of favoritism if your class is taking the time to play each game AND provide feedback.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Narrow Gate Games wrote:
The stakes of this contest are relatively low (100 GG)...

The goals of community contests like this shouldn't be recognition or rewards per se but the experience of participating in a design contest with unique constraints, meeting new designers, expanding your skills, playtesting other games, becoming active in the community here, having fun, etc. It's also important to remember that you are developing yourself as a designer.

"The book is not a product of your writing time. You are a product of your writing time." -Brandon Sanderson

However, I have seen some designs picked up for publication through these contests. You never know who is watching or looking for new games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Allen Czysz
United States
Freeport
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
R4D6 wrote:

The goals of community contests like this shouldn't be recognition or rewards per se but the experience of participating in a design contest with unique constraints, meeting new designers, expanding your skills, playtesting other games, becoming active in the community here, having fun, etc. It's also important to remember that you are developing yourself as a designer.

Agree 100%.

What I meant was, if this contest was sponsored by a game publisher with the winner getting published, I might say "no the students probably shouldn't vote" since there could be an appearance of collusion. But, since it is mainly for the learning experience, I say go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Ham
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds great... I'll have my students share any substantial thoughts they have (and I'll share mine as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
For the King!
badge
I bend all elements!
mbmbmbmbmb
simenzo wrote:
Sounds great... I'll have my students share any substantial thoughts they have (and I'll share mine as well).

I was going to say - take this as an opportunity to teach them about providing constructive feedback as well. Because that's an important part of any creative/design work. Since you'll want to become part of a community of creators and designers, and being an active part of such a community requires being able to deliver, and receive, constructive feedback.

Also, can you point out which 4 games are the ones from your class? I'd like to make sure I give each of them a bit of feedback
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
[WIP] Galva (2015 mint tin contest)

Deleted

[WIP] Avalanche - Mint Tin 2015