Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really wanting to like/enjoy this game. I decided for my 10th play to try the second base game scenario and realized I also hadn't played the Lore deck yet. So I set up for this combination.

Round 1 - My three heroes solicited the help of Henamarth Riversong to be the whipping boy to confront The Hill Troll standing over them. This is not really a fair fight, is it?

The Hill Troll has 6 attack/3 defense and adds to your threat level any excessive damage. Now if any of my heroes defend they are instantly killed (3 def w/ 3 life, 1 def w/ 5 life, or 2 def w/ 4 life).

Given the threat we didn't commit any to the quest adding 4 to our threat level from the troll and risky location card that was dealt right out of the gate. Ouch!

Then I sent our ally to defend (take the beating) with 0 def and 1 life which yielded 5 excess wounds plus 1 additional attack from the shadow card, so 6 to my threat level, plus 1 for the end of the round, oh and one more because of our location that we journeyed to adds an extra.

So after the initial round we are already sitting at a 41 threat level! Seriously!?!?

Round 2 - I was fortunate to solicit the help of Gandalf to defeat the Hill Troll for some relief.

Round 3 - My heroes were forced to venture into the East Bright requiring 6 progress points to complete.

Round 4 - Nothing of significance this round allowed me to complete the wasteland with 6 needed progress points and return to the River. but I'm now sitting at a 48 threat level.

Round 5 - Again nothing significant to deal with so another six progress tokens towards the 8 I need to complete the River 1B objective, while I sit at a 49 threat level.

Round 6 - I manage to complete 1B during the Quest phase and move on to 2B but my threat reaches 50 at the end of the round to end the game. My goodness, that is/was/will continue to be brutal.

I may play this preset deck one more time to see more cards and then it may be time to finally play with some deck building if I have any hope of defeating this scenario. Fortunately I have the 10x10 challenge which needs a few more plays so I can't give up on this game yet.

meeple Keep playing ( sauron )...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Montgomery G
Australia
Bayswater
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is to keep your starting threat low so that you don't have to engage the troll for 2-3 rounds, giving you time to prepare. There are a couple of really good decks based on a single core set (no expansions) on bgg if you do a search for them - these are much much better than the suggested decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Geoff I use this approach too (maybe you need some the Spirit cards and consequently an Spirit Hero). I also like to use Denethor as a defender, because you start with DEF 3 and you can heal him with another Lore cards, in the future (Conflict at Carrock AP) you you can get the Dunedain Warning to increase his defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, with the Core Set preconstructed decks, you are not likely to see any land there.

And don't give up! Being as hard as it is, the game makes every victory you gain, especially with your own decks, so much sweeter!

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chadgar24
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this deck, I have suggested it to other new players. They get a feel for how multi-sphere decks work and have fun too. The advice below is for someone who struggled with the first quest.

Heroes:
Aragorn, Theodred, Eowyn

Allies:
2 Faramir
3 Snowbourn Scout
3 Guard of the Citadel
2 Son of Arnor
3 Gandalf
2 Northern Tracker

Attachment:
2 Steward of Gondor
1 Cele. Stone
1 Unex. Courage
2 Favor of the Lady

Event:
2 Valiant Sacrifice
2 Hasty Stroke
2 A Test of Will
1 Dwarven Tomb
2 Sneak Attack

Your opening hand:
Cards you should look for: Steward of Gondor, Sneak attack-Gandalf combo, A test of Will, a cheap ally (Snowbourn scout).
What to play?
It depends on your hand...but if you have A Test of Will then you always want to keep a Spirit resource handy. If you have an ally you can afford, play it. Steward of Gondor goes on Eowyn. Note! if you are lucky enough to have C. Stone AND Steward of Gondor in your opening hand then play them both on Aragorn since he now has the spirit icon.

First turn Quest: use all 3 heroes to Quest for 7, the Resource from Theodred goes to Aragorn and spend it to Ready him. Travel to Old Forest Road and ready Theodred. If you played an ally you now have 3 ready characters to deal with the combat phase. Worse case you have 2 heroes ready. Your staging area should be pretty clear for next turn.

Questing with Aragorn and Theodred lets you always ready Aragorn with that resource Theodred gives...its like 2 free willpower each turn. And if you need to keep both heroes ready for combat...then just questing with Eowyn is 4 Willpower (+1 more if you discard....NOTE you can decide to discard after the encounter card is revealed...there is an action window after staging but prior to placing progress tokens).

After a couple turns you should have a couple allies in play, Eowyn/C.Stoned Aragorn should have Steward and can afford Spirit cards like Northern Tracker and Unex. Courage (I put it on Aragorn so he can quest, defend and attack). Use Sneak attack-Gandalf combo to take out enemies. Use Dwarven Tomb to get A Test of Will back in your hand to avoid When Revealed effects.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K C

Centennial
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Even better, get him a Burning Brand! He becomes a near-invincible blocker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.