Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm leaning towards MadKing because of the theme but which one would be better with two and why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both 2P. I own Ludwig, don't own Suburbia.

I have a very slight preference for Ludwig. However, when playing Ludwig 2P I always play with the 3P game setup (33 room cards) to reduce the likelihood that some bonus cards end up being worthless.

But really, they're both great games, so it just depends on your preferences. Suburbia has more of an engine-building type feel to it. In Ludwig you're building a crazy castle, and I really enjoy the master builder mechanic (although it sounds like it's AP-inducing for some).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say Mad King, but only off of 2 plays of each game.

Some of the goals in Suburbia can be exceptionally swingy in 2p.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Brogdon
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia plays at its best with 2 as you can actually plan ahead while viewing the market.

KMKL on the other hand, comes alive with 4 and falls flat with 2.

Can't decide which I like best overall as they are both superb, but if I'm playing 2-player then it's Suburbia every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R H
United States
Bethany
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ludwig.
Like nbread said, we tend to play with more rooms, not for the bonus cards being worthless, but just so the game goes longer, bigger castles.

Game is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RruinerR wrote:
Ludwig.
Like nbread said, we tend to play with more rooms, not for the bonus cards being worthless, but just so the game goes longer, bigger castles.

Game is fun.

Any thoughts on how the master builder mechanic in Ludwig works with two?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Suburbia with less and Ludwig with more. Both play fine at all numbers, but Suburbia just adds length with more, and Ludwig is more interesting when the master builder is offering tiles to more than one person.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
I like Suburbia with less and Ludwig with more. Both play fine at all numbers, but Suburbia just adds length with more, and Ludwig is more interesting when the master builder is offering tiles to more than one person.

Agree completely with this.

As for the "swinginess" of the Suburbia goals, we feel we solved that a while back by making all hidden goals worth 15 points. This house rule takes away the luck factor of drawing a 20 instead of a 10 or 15, and we're happier with the balance now. Of course, you could go further and eliminate hidden goals altogether, adding an extra public goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:

My turnoff to suburbia is the "book keeping". Ludwig seems more streamlined. I also like the theme better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

My turnoff to suburbia is the "book keeping". Ludwig seems more streamlined. I also like the theme better.

I feel like Ludwig has more to keep track of than Suburbia, but I think that's mostly because I haven't played it as much. Suburbia felt like that early on also.

But if you like building castles more than cities, then go for it. Suburbia also has an app you can try if you haven't played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:

I feel like Ludwig has more to keep track of than Suburbia, but I think that's mostly because I haven't played it as much. Suburbia felt like that early on also.

But if you like building castles more than cities, then go for it. Suburbia also has an app you can try if you haven't played it.

Cool thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caryl Tan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The master builder mechanic in Ludwig is easily what gives it the edge over Suburbia for me. It gives it that push for interactivity with players because my biggest gripe with Suburbia was how easily it felt like a solitaire game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.