Klaus Scharpf
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Nightfall at an auction and am very excited to try it out with my sons, but I want to assure we have a good first experience.

So I tried to see what would be a good selection of private and common archives for first time players. But here I got stumped.

I found in the rule book the pre-selected private archives, but nothing else.
At BBG I found a link to the Nightfall Drafter at http://m.s3rvant.com/, but it always seems to include Big Ghost, which several posters on BGG mentioned NOT to include at the beginning.
I scoured the Internet and BGG, but I could not find anyone just providing a set of archives!

So... anyone have any concrete suggestion for 2-3 players?

I understand the power of drafting, but none of us ever played the game and we might choose really bad combinations. I want to set my sons up that they WANT to play again...

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not specifically labeled for this situation, but I'd recommend the Nightfall AI Generator. You can find it in the files section here but the longhand version comes from one of the designer's threads about AI play.

Pick 4 cards using these criteria:
Two cost 2 (or less)
Two cost 3 or more
At least two, maybe three minions.
Four different colors
Each card links to colors represented by the other three cards in your selection.

For regular play, you can put 2 in the player's private archive and 2 in the public archive. This should ensure some good chains for beginners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
For the private archives use the pairings listed in the rules. They include 1 minion and 1 action for each player that both link together and can kick one of the two. With only the base game it's hard to avoid having at least 1 or 2 power cards in the commons, so just be aware of them while playing. Leave Me and Flank Attack are probably the hardest cards to activate properly in your first game, so might want to leave those out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terra Nystrom
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with s3rvant regarding Leave Me! and Flank Attack--exclude those; and I agree with Dave41fan regarding card cost--try to spread it out a little.

I'm not sure about the "Big Ghost" part you mentioned--he's pretty straightforward to play, he's just a heavy hitter.

I'd recommend leaving out Alton Hickman initially. While he's unblockable in combat, cards like "Bad Smoke" and Vulko say that they block (absorb) damage inflicted on you, which includes the points from Alton Hickman and that might get confusing for the first run-through of the game. I know one of the "quick start" options includes him, but in my opinion, it's just easier to leave him out the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.