Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just getting back into playing after a long while off and managed the auto victory twice in a row in the Spanish era just after the first 18 cards. Wondering if others are seeing the same pattern.

First transition card brings enemy morale down from 5.
Second transition card should bring enemy morale down to 0, but there are 2 builds performed as part of the VP check, so enemy morale is 2 going into the 3rd set of 9 cards.
...and then one botched raid and Passage Of Time with less than 3 red cubes in Subjugation is all it takes for the win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

I wouldn't consider myself an experienced Navajo Wars player, but of my last 4 games of the Lords of the Earth, two of them have indeed ended in an auto-victory. The manner of it has been pretty much as Peter describes: the first historical card brings the first dent to enemy morale, then one or two other things may or may not dent the enemy morale further until unsuccessful raids, often almost back to back, finish the enemy off.

Let me stress this: even though the games ended that way, they were nail-biters all the way until the very end and at all times the outcome was uncertain. I documented these plays in detail in multiple entries to June's Solitaire Games on Your Table list if anyone wishes to have a look at it (here: game 1 & 2, game 3 and game 4). What I'm saying is, I don't really feel the gaming experience suffered from the auto-victories, although of course if this begins to repeat itself, then it might get frustrating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that's typical of my experience with Lords of the Earth. I don't track my games but it feels like probably about half are won this way. But it's far from guaranteed, and when things go well it is still very tense.

I still love the game though! My last play of this scenario was a spectacular disaster so the game is robust enough to keep challenging me.

I am toying with the idea of playing a campaign game without auto victories. I've yet to play a campaign game where I wasn't able to get an auto victory in either the Spanish or Mexican (sometimes both!), either of which set you up for a very quick auto victory in the American period.

.:Edited for typos:.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for replying, guys. Didn't mean to insinuate at all that winning that way was boring for me. Quite the opposite - it feels like going for the checkmate in a good chess game. I was just wondering if the reliable pattern was there for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios Tzeremes
Netherlands
Noordwijk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall that was also the reason i stopped playing the game. Reduced the morale down to 3, strategically positioned two tribes, kept one high roll replacement card and after 2 ambushes and a failed raid i won 3 games in a row with the same tactic. At first i thought i was missing something but in order to let the game progress more i need to play wrongly or bad and where is the fun in it.
I need to try the multiplayer version though to see how it flows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.