Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Did I find something different/mildly interesting? (Story inside) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Ender
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Hi, I recently learned that the world of board games goes far beyond the likes of Monopoly/Chess/Checkers/Etc. Since then I've been looking up different games that look like fun to play, and Carcassonne was one of them.

Normally I would just buy one new right away, but the thing is my budget has been pretty tight recently, and I've been unable to buy very much right away.
There's a local thrift store that I'll usually take a quick stop at once or twice a week to look for neat things that may happen to be there, and on my most recent stop a few days ago I decided to look at the board game section again.

I've taken quick glances at it before, bookshelves filled with old puzzles and other common games, many of them missing pieces and/or looking rough.

This time however, when I went to look at the section, right in plain sight was a Carcassonne box. I quickly picked it up and looked it over to find the box to be both in (edit: Dutch, not German ) and in surprisingly good condition, though it looked like the store employees put tape around the box to prevent it from being opened. I went and paid $3 for it, figuring at that price it wouldn't be a big deal if there was missing pieces, and that there would still be enough to play with.

After getting out to my car, I quickly removed all the tape and price stickers, which came off perfectly without any residue. I then opened the box, took the rulebook and other paper things out, only to discover...

It was completely unused. The tiles were still all unpunched, and everything else inside was in perfect condition. Needless to say, it was a great surprise.

I hope my thrift store story isn't out of place here... So, after getting home, I went on here to look through the list of different releases/versions, but I can't seem to find mine in there.

If anyone could shed some light on this for me, it would be greatly appreciated. What's something like this worth anyway, or at least just the expansion that came with it? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J P
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, it's a Dutch version, not German. And I think it's the 2014 edition.

No doubt for me, it's a good purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Kuhlmann
United States
Huntington Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi Tyler, and welcome to BGG!

It looks like you have the Dutch 2014 edition, as listed on BGG. An image is below. It comes with the Abbot mini-expansion, which seems to only be available with a new purchase, but is still being printed. You might be able to find somebody who'd buy it off you, but probably for not very much.

I'd recommend keeping it and playing it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Here's the expansion:
https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2283086/carcassonne-die-klos...
Dutch Version of Carcassonne: Die Klöster

Copies of the Dutch cloister tiles are going for about $15 (shipped) in the BGG Marketplace from US sellers. They're about $10 purchased from Germany.

Full unpunched game plus extra cloister tiles for $3 is a great find!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, it is! I paid 1+ buck for a Rio Grande edition with no river (+15 for a replacement set of 50 unpainted meeples that I painted myself, which was about 4 bucks for the paint). Though, might be jumping up to Big Box 5 if the family likes it enough
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Ender
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
My bad about the Dutch, I'm not familiar with the language, and it looked similar to German to me.

I'm definitely keeping it, Carcassonne is one of the games I've wanted to get in the first place! I may try selling/trading the Dutch cloisters for one of the other small expansions in the future though, as it doesn't interest me too much.

Makes you wonder though, how did an unused Dutch copy of Carcassonne end up at a small thrift store in Western Washington? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Krilikin wrote:
My bad about the Dutch, I'm not familiar with the language, and it looked similar to German to me.

Here's an easy way to tell if it's German or not: look for capitalised Words in the Middle of a Sentence. German typography demands that all nouns are capitalised. It's an archaic practice but there we have it. Use of Umlauts (the dots on the vowels ä, ö, ü) is also a tell-tale sign, but be careful to apply the first rule of thumb as well.

Quote:
Makes you wonder though, how did an unused Dutch copy of Carcassonne end up at a small thrift store in Western Washington? laugh

Gift from family which turned out to not be such a great gift after all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
A great find. Enjoy!

I also discovered BGG when strapped for cash. I therefore started with the traditional abstracts and similar public domain games that I could obtain for the effort of printing one page of rules and a one page board. There are hundreds of games one can get that way in the database.

So maybe save up for a next purchase and in the meantime, try out some of the many games that don't cost anything but the ink of printing them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krilikin wrote:
I hope my thrift store story isn't out of place here...

Not out of place here, but also it would be welcomed in a weekly feature that I do not myself follow.

See this example: Your Thrift Store/Bargain Finds 6 - 12 July 2015

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drbobjack wrote:
Hi Tyler, and welcome to BGG!

It looks like you have the Dutch 2014 edition, as listed on BGG. An image is below. It comes with the Abbot mini-expansion, which seems to only be available with a new purchase, but is still being printed. You might be able to find somebody who'd buy it off you, but probably for not very much.

Expanding upon that with the direct link.

/boardgameversion/259618/dutch-edition-2014

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.